Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Questions about XL Delta Machines

Posted by Sythlin 
Questions about XL Delta Machines
April 25, 2016 01:59PM
Hey everyone,

First I would like to say that I have been reading your forums for a while and have been trying to know more about Delta machines, my goal is to replace my current Printrbot Simple Metal with a large scale delta printer. Either by purchasing a kit or a fully put together one, but after reading a lot of the forums posts by you guys I have a couple questions.

Kit I am considering in buying for a frame of reference. (HKBay XL Rostock 3d Printer)

1. How much better are magnetic effectors? I am looking at the following machine which doesn't have them.
2. I see a lot of these kits have printed parts, since I am looking at a larger machine, can anyone speak to if these are extremely bad or OK, but you want to upgrade to metal ASAP!
3. Are there any other kits that are close to the build volume in the one I am considering that I have missed or didn't research of better quality?
4. I read another forum for another poster wanting to know which XL kit was the best and I had trouble following it when it came down to the controllers and such, is there anything else I should be aware of when it comes to bigger delta printers when it comes to materials or anything else? Since the margin of error is higher?
5. I would also like a heated bed, I see a lot of different build surfaces like glass, metal and others, since I will be putting build tak down, does it matter for larger prints?

Please forgive my ignorance on a lot of these issues but trying to learn as much as I can.

I am looking to stay around 1000.00 for a starting price. For the biggest build volume and as best quality as I can get. Sadly it is hard to find a kit that I am 100% on board with because either they will have plastic effectors, 3d printed cheap parts or something else.

I would love to build my own but I do lack a lot of soldering skills and electronics know how. I could learn though and it would be something I would be very proud of!

Thanks again for any input!
Greg

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2016 03:37PM by Sythlin.
Re: Questions about XL Delta Machines
April 25, 2016 02:36PM
I also found this one but it doesn't have a metal effector, am I being too picky or over looking something? To me I would love a metal effector with magnetic joints.

He3d 600 Delta
April 25, 2016 05:04PM
Have you looked at Robotdigg? They sell metal corners, carriages and effectors, and they also sell kits.

I recommend a heated bed highly, preferably with PEI on top.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 25, 2016 07:55PM
Magnetic joints aren't necessarily a good thing. Normal ball joints are stronger, and if assembled with care, can have zero slop.
April 25, 2016 08:21PM
Whilst still very much in the construction of my own design at the moment, I'm also not convinced that magnetic joints are valid as size goes up though I suppose the overall effector weight doesn't go up much unless you move to multiple hot ends or a Diamond hot end.

Build volume + Quality does not equal cheap. Like most things these three seem at odds to each other for 3D printing and the cost to achieve build volume does not seem to scale in any vague linear fashion.

I'll be using a cast ALU tooling plate as the bed, most likely just topped with Kapton tape as that's what I use all the time for ABS as my primary filament now. besides find PEI at 500mm round is impossible in OZ smiling smiley

Lot's of people successfully use printed effectors and even printed corners etc so maybe start there and look to improve over time.
April 25, 2016 10:16PM
Awesome good to hear thanks! So has anyone have any input on either the XL Rostock or the He3d DLT-600? I am hearing good and bad things about both and saw forum posts on He3d as a company and on the 180 that were horror stories for missing parts and horrible customer service.
April 26, 2016 12:36AM
I have just put together a rostock max v2. I printed my first print today, and I have to say initial results are promising, the machine is well thought out. I have to wonder why it isn't as popular on these forums (maybe it's not a reprap, it only uses two printed parts)
April 26, 2016 01:22PM
So after everything I ended ordering the DLT-600, I did look at the Rostock but really wanted the larger build volume. Now I have to find all of the metal pieces to order with them. Are they just Kossel metal corners and such? Want to also replace the carriages and effector with metal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login