Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Laminated Laser-cut Cardboard

Posted by JohnnyCooper 
Laminated Laser-cut Cardboard
October 26, 2010 04:59PM
[hackaday.com]

Cut little bugger. Would love to see someone throw together a pager motor & jansen mechanism constructed like this.

Also:

[hackaday.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2010 05:00PM by JohnnyCooper.
Re: Laminated Laser-cut Cardboard
October 26, 2010 05:44PM
Some really nice ideas here. Has there been any work done on "Living Hinges" in the reprap community? I think they could work in a similar way to the robot in your first video.

Living Hinge

The second video I could see using it for mars landers and such instead of wheels, the only major drawback is the use of vacuum energy as this is the single most inefficient way to power things I can think of. The wheel looks really cute, but they probably didn't show you the other end of the pipes connected through the wall to the enormous compressor room!

I seem to recall that there was a material that did the same thing but with electricity. It was oil based and was considered for use in active suspension and also viscous couplings in transmission / 4 wheel drive vehicles. This was years back and was demonstrated on Tomorrows World in the UK (Yes I am that old!)

Google electro viscous fluid for more details.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2010 05:49PM by martinprice2004.
Re: Laminated Laser-cut Cardboard
October 27, 2010 12:13AM
> Has there been any work done on "Living Hinges"
> in the reprap community?

Yes! Here is an example of a living hinge on thingiverse [www.thingiverse.com]

Many of FDavies' projects [www.thingiverse.com] use all sorts of cool compliant flexures for bearing mounts and such. Technically a compliant flexure is not a "living hinge" but it is close enough to deserve mention.

And also (shameless self-promotion) I have done some work on compliant devices [www.reprap.org] that might work well with laminated cardboard construction.

-Matt
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login