Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta build under £150

Posted by connorcurley 
Delta build under £150
January 14, 2016 04:33PM
I've been looking to build a small printer for a while, and after a bit of searching i came across the microDelta. I have access to laser cutters, another 3d printer and cnc machines through school (I'd be looking to build it myself). Is the microDelta the best option or is there any other printers I should look at?
And yes, 150-160 is the limit.
-Connor
Re: Delta build under £150
January 15, 2016 09:41AM
Look at delta kits and normal kits. A rostock goes for 1000$ and kartesian kits for 500 upwards. There are some really cheap kits on alibaba that could be upgraded but 200 unrealistic.
January 22, 2016 08:12PM
Well, nothing is impossible!

I am also planing to build a delta for under 200€

It depends on the stuff you can have for free/ you already own

Motors+Controlpanel is very hard to get for <100, hotend will also cost about 30-40€ (don't know how much in £)
Except you have some steppers/arduino this will be the stuff you have to buy!
Then you need the build Materials, my luck is I have acces to a workbench, cable, wood, some metal and a 3d printer so this parts will cost me nearly nothing, rest maybe 50-70€.

You see about 200 is possible if you have already some materials, but 160 will be very difficult without 3d printer you can use (or similar like cnc/laser/etc)

Just have a look around what you can use, pick a suitable reprap design and modify, if neccesery, to your needs! Thats the fun with this!

ps: price is from germany

pps: found a kit for 160$ (don't remember type) on alibaba but I don't know how the quality is.
January 23, 2016 11:07AM
I think £160 is probably unachievable, but I would not give up. I designed and built myself a delta machine where almost all of the structure is laser-cut 3mm MDF, because I had access to a laser cutter and sheets of MDF were either free of very cheap.

The repository is here: [github.com]

Let me know if you consider using it, as there's a few updates to some of the design files I need to post.

I brought the parts in batches, as funds allowed. Getting the electronics as a package makes sense and allows you to begin playing with the tools to configure your machine and run print jobs. Meanwhile, you can cut parts and begin assembling them. My design uses 2020 aluminium extrusion, but I think you could also use 20mm box section aluminium extrusion, which I've seen at Wickes and other DIY shops, so that may be cheaper.

I left buying the hotend until near the end, as just getting to the point where you have controlled motion is a pretty big step and feels like quite an achievement.

Good luck

Barny
January 23, 2016 06:46PM
RepRapPro was selling the Fisher delta kit at £199 + VAT at one point. The kit included 32-bit Duet electronics with a web interface, auto delta calibration using the nozzle itself as a probe, and of course the price included a profit element. So I think a £160 delta may be just about achievable if you make enough compromises. But it's unlikely to be the sort of machine that I would want to use.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2016 06:48PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login