Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem setting up new duet

Posted by Domterran 
Problem setting up new duet
September 29, 2015 06:28PM
Hi, I had a working kossel mini for almost a year. It was working on ramps 1.4. I decided couple weeks ago that it's time to move to 32 bits and auto level so I bought a duet 0.6 from replikeo and an ir probe from david design on filastruder.

I wired everything, following david's blog. I re-flashed the firmware with his latest firmware and put all the files on the sd card as stated. The sd is formatted to FAT32 on win7.

Now starts the problem. When I hit my printer with M503, I almost always get the "no configuration file" as the anwser. I was able to get 2 or 3 times max a working configuration. Even those time, I had no luck with the ethernet. So I tried with another sd card I had laying around, no more luck. I bought a lexar 16gb class 10, sent the files on it with another adapter, on another computer, just in case without any more luck. I always get the no configuration file. I had re-downloaded all the files in case of a corrupt download.

The couple times I had it "working", I could send a M105 and get an ok and a return value.

I think I tried almost everything on the troubleshooting guide from reprappro. I also tried to clean the contacts with some alcool.

Please help me, I don't know if the board is defect or just much bad luck with sd cards. And I really want to get it up !
Re: Problem setting up new duet
September 30, 2015 12:26AM
You have the correct folder structure on the card?

/sys
/gcodes
/macros
/www

I read somewhere that the duet can have trouble with some SD-cards.
September 30, 2015 03:39AM
The Duet has problems with the SD cards that were shipped with the original Ormerod 1 kit. These were 2Gb cards with no brand or speed marking on them. RepRapPro changed to Kingston Class 4 cards when they realised the problem.

In version 1.09k-dc42 of the firmware I did some work on the SD card interface to improve the upload speed, and I tested it with a variety of class 4 and class 10 cards. All of them worked with my test Duet except my original Ormerod 1 card, although the upload speed over Ethernet varied quite a lot between them. Some of the class 4 cards gave faster upload speeds than the class 10 cards.

So I think either you have been very unlucky with your choices of SD card (and I have been lucky with mine), or there is a fault in the SD card interface on your board. There have been quite a lot of reports of faults with the Replikeo boards, and the impression I have is that they are not tested very well. Have you inspected the soldering on the connections at the back of the SD card socket? Also check for missing resistors in the vicinity of the SD card socket R63, 64 and 73-76.

The Ethernet interface is unlikely to work unless the SD card has been read at boot time, because it reads the network configuration parameters from config.g on the SD card, and the web server html, js and css files are served from the SD card.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 01, 2015 03:18AM
Hi,

I may be experiencing the very same problem.

I've had flakey Ethernet wifi client connections, which have got worse as I've edited and added various .g files to the /sys directory.
All other IT equipment in the workshop is working fine.
The uSD card supplied with my Duet 0.6 is a 2Gb unbranded type.
I will try a known branded card tonight.

David, can you recommend a Windows or Ubuntu based utility that tests the access speed of SD cards ?
It would be useful if we can all compare benchmarks.
I am playing with a utility called h2testw.

(I am relieved to see that the duet schematic shows the SD card connected in SD card mode, and not SPI mode, which is notoriously slow. Had to use this mode on a PIC32 based project and it was horrible)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2015 03:31AM by JuJuDelta.

Regards,

Julian S.

T3DP3D Mini Kossel, E3D V6 hot end, 0.4mm nozzle, 200mm diameter Ali heated bed, Duet v0.8.5 & dc42 rep rap v1.18. DWC v1.15, PanelDue-7-1.16 DC42 IR Z Probe, 2 X MAX31855 &Thermocouples, PID heated enclosure, SolidWorks 2017, slic3r
October 01, 2015 03:54AM
Sorry, I can't recommend a speed test program because I haven't used one. However, it is likely that the "Random write 4K" benchmark is most indicative of how good the file upload speed will be, and different cards of the same speed class give very different results on this test e.g. see [www.tomshardware.com].

JuJuDelta, if your SD card has no speed marking on it as well as no brand marking, then I think it would indeed be wise to replace it.

If the Ethernet connection is flaky and you have the Duet configured for DHCP (i.e. IP address 0.0.0.0), try configuring it for a fixed IP address instead.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

October 01, 2015 01:53PM
Well I tried a faster uSD card but to no avail.
Rolled back to firmare "i" from "k", still the same
Even tried wifi to lan bridge on the PC, still no connection.

I am very suspicious of my new Sky router, although everything else in the house works.
It all worked the previous night with the BT router.

Any ideas ?

My Duet IP address is 192.168.1.14 but it appears as 192.168.1.14/# on the PC

Regards,

Julian S.

T3DP3D Mini Kossel, E3D V6 hot end, 0.4mm nozzle, 200mm diameter Ali heated bed, Duet v0.8.5 & dc42 rep rap v1.18. DWC v1.15, PanelDue-7-1.16 DC42 IR Z Probe, 2 X MAX31855 &Thermocouples, PID heated enclosure, SolidWorks 2017, slic3r
October 01, 2015 04:05PM
If you suspect your router, try connecting it directly to your PC to see if it works reliably then.

October 02, 2015 04:24AM
Hi David,

Took my duet PCs to work and my IT manager hooked it up to a test network and it all worked fine. Phew !

The following uSD cards worked
Sandisk 2gb nothing special
Transcend 4gb hc class 4
Micro SD 16gb hc I U1

So there is a difference between my old bt router and my new sky router which should be easy to find out when I admin log into it tonight.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,

Julian S.

October 02, 2015 04:39AM
I have a golden rule: keep local data local.
I wouldn't use a router that also has access to internet...
Just my 2 paranoid cents
-Olaf
October 02, 2015 05:03AM
o_lampe
I have a golden rule: keep local data local.
I wouldn't use a router that also has access to internet...
Just my 2 paranoid cents
-Olaf

I got to say that this feels a bit strange to me....

I mean you actually want to connect to the printer via your phone/tablet/laptop/workstation all of at least I want to have access to Internet on as well.
So by having your printer on a separate network you need a dedicated machine to connect to it with unless you are a pretty advanced networking guy setting up different VLAN's or something like that, definitely not just plug and play anyway.
October 02, 2015 06:32AM
It might be worth trying a different MAC address in the config.g file, in case your router doesn't like the standard one. If you connect more than one Duet to the same network, you must give them different MAC addresses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2015 06:34AM by dc42.

October 10, 2015 01:45PM
Finally, it was a dead board from replikeo. Having no communication from them, I decided to buy a new one from reprappro and it's working at first try.

Now my ethernet is working as well.

Should be up and running again "soon" !
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login