Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cast Iron heated bed?

Posted by davidf01 
Cast Iron heated bed?
September 29, 2015 04:06PM
Has anyone tried a cast iron printing bed? Would that be a better solution to warping and heat distribution?
Re: Cast Iron heated bed?
October 02, 2015 11:02AM
I'd love to see your results!

A hammer to break off the handle of cast iron 'griddle skillet' should be a good start:

[www.lodgemfg.com]

Though how to 'season' it would be interesting.

If you are printing with ABS the simple answer would be ABS Juice.
October 02, 2015 11:54AM
A cast aluminium tooling plate will conduct the heat better, and they are readily available.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
October 02, 2015 09:34PM
dc42
A cast aluminium tooling plate will conduct the heat better, and they are readily available.

Yes I have a aluminium plate already but the think has a slight warp in it and it is only on one side between the X tower and Z tower. Very strange and its a pain in the butt
to calibrate. I was just thinking cast iron would hols its shape better.
October 03, 2015 02:05AM
davidf01
dc42

Yes I have a aluminium plate already but the think has a slight warp in it and it is only on one side between the X tower and Z tower. Very strange and its a pain in the butt

The aluminium plate that FolgerTech includes in their kit is not cast.

You could try to straighten it out with a rubber maul or put a piece of glass on top of it.

EDIT: On the other hand I think a good auto bed level function should take care of a sloping bed unless it is to much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2015 02:07AM by Koenig.
October 06, 2015 02:23PM
Koenig
davidf01
dc42

The aluminium plate that FolgerTech includes in their kit is not cast.

You could try to straighten it out with a rubber maul or put a piece of glass on top of it.

EDIT: On the other hand I think a good auto bed level function should take care of a sloping bed unless it is to much.

Thx again Koenig,

My problem is that the build plate has a slight bulge upward to it but only on one part of the plate, between the X and Y tower.
The closer to the center of the build plate you get the more flat the plate gets. There is no problem between the Y and Z tower.
I'm going to put a glass build plate on top of the aluminum one that is there and try to level it. I will have to shim it up to get around the
The bulged part some how.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login