Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need help with Original Rostock Delta sad smiley

Posted by TehStranger 
Need help with Original Rostock Delta sad smiley
July 31, 2015 04:30AM
Hey guys,

I am having trouble with my new Rostock Delta. I sourced all the parts myself and the machine is assembled 100% correctly, I am sure of it. I flashed Marlin to the RAMPS board and when I try to move any axis in pronterface they move a tiny bit then that's it, the endstops are reporting triggered at this point so I then went into config.h and inverted the max values and now they all report open - however, when I try to move any axis, the print head just moves straight down.

I am really desperate for help guys. I've attached my configuration.h to this post, if someone would kindly take a look and let me know whats wrong I would be very grateful.

Thanks.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (36.2 KB)
Re: Need help with Original Rostock Delta sad smiley
July 31, 2015 04:45AM
AFAIK Marlin doesn't have the facility to move the tower motors individually on a delta, so you need to home the printer before trying to move any axes. Homing should move the carriages up until they reach the endstops. If the carriages go down instead of up, turn the power off and flip over the stepper motor connectors.

I presume you configured Marlin for a delta before you flashed it to the board?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 31, 2015 04:59AM
dc42
AFAIK Marlin doesn't have the facility to move the tower motors individually on a delta, so you need to home the printer before trying to move any axes. Homing should move the carriages up until they reach the endstops. If the carriages go down instead of up, turn the power off and flip over the stepper motor connectors.

I presume you configured Marlin for a delta before you flashed it to the board?

Thanks for responding.

I used this version of Marlin: [github.com]

On the Rostock Delta wiki page, it said to use that firmware and make the necessary changes (which I did).
July 31, 2015 10:50AM
Update: I got the axis to home up but now I have another problem which is they continue to move up even when they hit the endstops.
July 31, 2015 10:59AM
TehStranger
Update: I got the axis to home up but now I have another problem which is they continue to move up even when they hit the endstops.

Have you used the M119 command to check that the endstop switches are being read correctly when triggered and when not triggered?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

July 31, 2015 11:08AM
dc42
TehStranger

Have you used the M119 command to check that the endstop switches are being read correctly when triggered and when not triggered?

Yeah, they are reporting correctly.

I don't know if this information is relevant or not but I have my max endstops disabled in Marlin.
July 31, 2015 11:46AM
On a delta, the only endstops you have are max endstops. So disable the min endstops and enable the max ones. Connect the endstop switches to the max endstop pins on your electronics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 11:47AM by dc42.

July 31, 2015 12:05PM
dc42
On a delta, the only endstops you have are max endstops. So disable the min endstops and enable the max ones. Connect the endstop switches to the max endstop pins on your electronics.

When I try to compile Marlin with min endstops disabled I get this error :

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

#error "You must have a Z_MIN endstop in order to enable Auto Bed Leveling feature!!! Z_MIN_PIN must point to a valid hardware pin."
^
\Marlin_main.cpp:2253:14: error: #error "You must have a Z_MIN endstop in order to enable calculation of Z-Probe repeatability."
#error "You must have a Z_MIN endstop in order to enable calculation of Z-Probe repeatability."
^
Error compiling.
July 31, 2015 12:13PM
On RAMPS/Marlin, the Z probe (if you have one) is normally connected to the Z Min endstop pins. Looks like you have the Z probe code enabled in Marlin. Simplest thing to do is just enable the Z min endstop in the config file - it shouldn't do any harm even if you don't yet have a Z probe.

I've attached the Configuration.h file I used on my Mini Kossel before I upgraded the controller electronics. Some of the values will be wrong for your printer, but it should give you some idea of what should be enabled and disabled.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2015 12:16PM by dc42.

Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (26.2 KB)
July 31, 2015 12:29PM
dc42
On RAMPS/Marlin, the Z probe (if you have one) is normally connected to the Z Min endstop pins. Looks like you have the Z probe code enabled in Marlin. Simplest thing to do is just enable the Z min endstop in the config file - it shouldn't do any harm even if you don't yet have a Z probe.

I've attached the Configuration.h file I used on my Mini Kossel before I upgraded the controller electronics. Some of the values will be wrong for your printer, but it should give you some idea of what should be enabled and disabled.

My apologies - Which line of code are you referring to to enable the Z min endstop?
July 31, 2015 03:47PM
TehStranger
dc42

My apologies - Which line of code are you referring to to enable the Z min endstop?

Good question! I'm not a Marlin expert, and I haven't used Marlin since I upgraded my Mini Kossel to Duet electronics at the end of last year. But I've just looked at Configuration.h, and it looks to me that min endstops can only be disabled as a group - which seems odd to me, since you can have a Cartesian printer with a min endstop switch on one axis and max endstop switch on another. So I suggest you comment out both of the following lines with a leading //, as in the Configuration.h file I attached:

#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS
#define DISABLE_MIN_ENDSTOPS

July 31, 2015 11:43PM
dc42
TehStranger
dc42

Good question! I'm not a Marlin expert, and I haven't used Marlin since I upgraded my Mini Kossel to Duet electronics at the end of last year. But I've just looked at Configuration.h, and it looks to me that min endstops can only be disabled as a group - which seems odd to me, since you can have a Cartesian printer with a min endstop switch on one axis and max endstop switch on another. So I suggest you comment out both of the following lines with a leading //, as in the Configuration.h file I attached:

#define DISABLE_MAX_ENDSTOPS
#define DISABLE_MIN_ENDSTOPS

I just tried it, same problem. I think my homing feedrate might be too high. Do you know how to adjust it?

Edit: Nevermind, I just remembered how to do it.

Edit 2: I lowered the homing feedrate but the problem is still present.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2015 02:21PM by TehStranger.
August 02, 2015 05:32AM
Okay another update: I got it to home correctly, but now when it is time to print it homes and then it just moves straight down. I am using Cura.
August 02, 2015 06:03AM
Before you print, you need to do delta calibration to set at least the homed height, delta radius and homing switch corrections. As you are usnig Marlin, this guide [minow.blogspot.co.at] should help you. Also make sure you have the correct steps/mm set, and x16 microstepping selected on the RAMPS board jumpers.

August 02, 2015 06:10AM
dc42
Before you print, you need to do delta calibration to set at least the homed height, delta radius and homing switch corrections. As you are usnig Marlin, this guide [minow.blogspot.co.at] should help you. Also make sure you have the correct steps/mm set, and x16 microstepping selected on the RAMPS board jumpers.

I got it to print (kinda). I had the MANUAL_Z_HOME_POS set too high, so it thought my printer was taller than it actually is. I still need to assemble the extruder and will hopefully get a first print tomorrow. I will report back when I encounter more problems smiling smiley

Thank you for your help so far grinning smiley
August 03, 2015 12:14AM
dc42

Update: I followed the guide you linked and ran into a problem - when I run the commands, the axis just home and do nothing else. What could the problem be?
August 03, 2015 02:45AM
TehStranger
dc42

Update: I followed the guide you linked and ran into a problem - when I run the commands, the axis just home and do nothing else. What could the problem be?

Looking at that page, where it says:

g28 g0 f8000 x-77.94 y-45 z0

you need to send 2 separate commands, i.e.

g28
g0 f8000 x-77.94 y-45 z0

and similarly for the others.

August 03, 2015 03:41AM
dc42
TehStranger
dc42

Looking at that page, where it says:

g28 g0 f8000 x-77.94 y-45 z0

you need to send 2 separate commands, i.e.

g28
g0 f8000 x-77.94 y-45 z0

and similarly for the others.

That worked but I think something is wrong :/

Here is a video of what is happening when I send that command: [www.dropbox.com]
August 03, 2015 06:14AM
Sorry, my computer doesn't run Flash Player for security reasons, so I can't see that video. Try youtube instead.

August 03, 2015 08:44AM
dc42
Sorry, my computer doesn't run Flash Player for security reasons, so I can't see that video. Try youtube instead.

Ok, uploading to YouTube now.

Edit: Here is the link [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 08:53AM by TehStranger.
August 03, 2015 09:33AM
How big is your print bed? Perhaps x=-77.94 y=-45 is off the bed. In which case, work out the XY coordinates put the effector in front of the tower, and use those coordinates instead.

August 03, 2015 09:44AM
dc42
How big is your print bed? Perhaps x=-77.94 y=-45 is off the bed. In which case, work out the XY coordinates put the effector in front of the tower, and use those coordinates instead.

The glass is 203.4mm squared. I'll give it a try, cheers.
August 03, 2015 10:01AM
dc42

I used the m114 command at the home position and this is the result: X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:260.40 E:0.00 Count X: 477.48 Y:477.48 Z:477.48

Shouldn't they all be 0?

When I move the axis to the coordinates I got from the m114 command - it goes moves to the wrong position.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2015 10:49AM by TehStranger.
August 03, 2015 12:03PM
TehStranger
dc42

I used the m114 command at the home position and this is the result: X:0.00 Y:0.00 Z:260.40 E:0.00 Count X: 477.48 Y:477.48 Z:477.48

Shouldn't they all be 0?

No, Z should be however high the nozzle is off the bed in the home position. I don't know Marlin well enough t know what the 'Count' figures are, although my guess is that they a\re the carriage heights.

Have you checked that the axes move the correct amount? Home the printer, then in Pronterface press the Z-10 button. The head should move down 10mm. If it moves down a different amount, you need to adjust the steps/mm in your firmware configuration.

August 03, 2015 01:36PM
dc42
TehStranger
dc42

Shouldn't they all be 0?

No, Z should be however high the nozzle is off the bed in the home position. I don't know Marlin well enough t know what the 'Count' figures are, although my guess is that they a\re the carriage heights.

Have you checked that the axes move the correct amount? Home the printer, then in Pronterface press the Z-10 button. The head should move down 10mm. If it moves down a different amount, you need to adjust the steps/mm in your firmware configuration.

Yes it moves the correct amount. I have no idea what the problem could be confused smiley
August 03, 2015 02:37PM
So when you put the effector as close to one of the towers as it can reasonably get without fouling belts etc, how far from the centre of the bed in the XY plane is it?

August 03, 2015 11:38PM
dc42
So when you put the effector as close to one of the towers as it can reasonably get without fouling belts etc, how far from the centre of the bed in the XY plane is it?

It is roughly about 131mm away from the centre.
August 04, 2015 03:20AM
Try reducing the feed rate in that G1 command. 8000 is rather high and may be difficult to achieve if your motor currents are not quite right. So try 3000.

August 04, 2015 03:37AM
dc42
Try reducing the feed rate in that G1 command. 8000 is rather high and may be difficult to achieve if your motor currents are not quite right. So try 3000.

I tried that already, same problem only it goes slower sad smiley
August 04, 2015 04:16AM
TehStranger
dc42

I tried that already, same problem only it goes slower sad smiley

Have you put correct length of the rods in configuration.h?

And/or correct steps/mm?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2015 04:17AM by Koenig.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login