Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Happiness is a min kossel - goodbye prusa i3 rework

Posted by thetazzbot 
Happiness is a min kossel - goodbye prusa i3 rework
July 30, 2015 12:30AM
Im in love with this mini kossel! Ever since i built the prusa I3 i had issues. Ill fitting parts ... Things getting loose and shaky too many parts overall..sure a lot of that is build related maybe but some troublesome design flaws exist as well...so long i3!!

Now i built the kossel and its a dream to operate. Im going to upgrade to the duet board but for now its working within its limits. A bit of a bear to calibrate. I can actually walk away from a print and come back to a finished piece....yayyy
Re: Happiness is a min kossel - goodbye prusa i3 rework
July 30, 2015 07:20AM
I had much the same experience:

My first printer was an Ormerod 1, which had several design flaws (mostly fixed in the Ormerod 2). It took a while and several upgrades, but it now prints reliably. It needs occasional adjustment to the bed levelling, as I don't like relying on auto bed compensation too much because of the extra wear on the Z screw.

My second printer was a Mini Kossel built from a kit. It worked quite well as soon as I completed it, which impressed me. I like the simpler (IMO) mechanics of the delta and the fact that the build is so much more regular. It prints almost twice as fast as the Ormerod for the same print quality. Even the mechanical Z probe, which looks rather Heath Robinson at first sight, gave repeatable results until the spring lost some of its strength.

So I am now a firm convert to delta printers.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
July 30, 2015 10:21PM
It kinda sucks tho, I'm a bit spoiled already by this thing.

I had plans to build two corexy machines, one based on smartrap core, and the other using this heavy extrusion that I bought... So I'm using the kossel to print parts for those, and I'm already thinking, hmmm maybe I should just build more kossels winking smiley

But I would like a bigger rectangular build platform for other stuff that I had in mind to print...
July 31, 2015 03:15AM
How big a rectangular part are you looking to print? My Kossel now has a 300mm diameter x 440mm high build volume. Follow the link in my signature for details.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
August 06, 2015 08:54PM
Well honestly your printer is more Delta than Kossel. Mine is a standard mini kossel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login