Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Duet Electronics - Commissioning hardware and troubleshooting Firmware

Posted by RepRapRaj83 
Duet Electronics - Commissioning hardware and troubleshooting Firmware
June 09, 2015 01:45PM
Hi to all on the forum, I hope all are well,

I wondered if anyone would be able to help me in relation to getting a Rostock Delta Printer operating with Duet electronics. I've outlined the problems below along with my thoughts on what needs to be addressed in brackets. The issues relate to homing, general axis movements and switching on the hot end/extruder.

The Duet board is recognised (Arduino Due COM 23) and I'm using Pronterface to communicate with the printer. This is close to working save the issues mentioned.

The board has been Flashed with RepRapFirmware-1.09a-dc42.bin firmware using Bossac.exe and there are also 3 folders on the SD card (following the instructions given here). I'm not sure if I also need to upload additional firmware files through Arduino IDE too as with other boards (Sanguinololu/RAMPS) but the .bin file is the only thing I've uploaded.

Regarding homing, my printer moves down when I send the home all command so I'd like to confirm if firmware settings or stepper wiring needs to be changed. (The current wiring for all axis motors is 1A - Green, 1B - Black, 2A - Blue, 2B - Red. The Axis/Motor Configuration is M569 P{n} S1). There's also a 'homedelta.g file on the SD card with additional instructions but, I've made no changes to this.

Regarding axis movements, these are curved (high points towards the outsides of the print area, lowest point at the centre (calibration ) and is probably something to do with the fact that I manually press the endstops (because my homing isn't working) although it could also be related to the settings i've updated the config file with. (M665 R124 L250.0 B100 H402 ; set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height)

Regarding the hot end/extruder, If I send an instruction through to turn this on, the only response I get from Pronterface is that the printer is 'Attempting to extrude with no tool selected' or is 'Setting temperature: no tool selected'. (I can't pinpoint where in the config file I'd need to make a change).

Just in case it matters...My heated bed works fine! smileys with beer.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards to you all.

Raj
Re: Duet Electronics - Commissioning hardware and troubleshooting Firmware
June 09, 2015 02:09PM
RepRapRaj83
Regarding homing, my printer moves down when I send the home all command so I'd like to confirm if firmware settings or stepper wiring needs to be changed. (The current wiring for all axis motors is 1A - Green, 1B - Black, 2A - Blue, 2B - Red. The Axis/Motor Configuration is M569 P{n} S1). There's also a 'homedelta.g file on the SD card with additional instructions but, I've made no changes to this.

If the motors move the wrong way then you need to reverse the direction. There are two simple ways of doing this:

1. With the power off, flip over the stepper motor connectors where they plug into the Duet.

Or:

2. Edit these 3 lines in sys/config.g:

M569 P0 S1							; Drive 0 goes forwards
M569 P1 S1							; Drive 1 goes forwards
M569 P2 S1							; Drive 2 goes forwards

changing S1 to S0.

EDIT: I'm assuming you have the endstop switches wired correctly. If you are not sure, see section "Testing the motors" at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com] to see if the motors really are moving the wrong way. Also check that the 3 endstop LEDs on the Duet are behaving correctly. Each LED on the Duet should be on unless the corresponding endstop switch is triggered.

RepRapRaj83
Regarding axis movements, these are curved (high points towards the outsides of the print area, lowest point at the centre (calibration ) and is probably something to do with the fact that I manually press the endstops (because my homing isn't working) although it could also be related to the settings i've updated the config file with. (M665 R124 L250.0 B100 H402 ; set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height)

Get the motors moving in the correct direction, then see if this is still a problem.

RepRapRaj83
Regarding the hot end/extruder, If I send an instruction through to turn this on, the only response I get from Pronterface is that the printer is 'Attempting to extrude with no tool selected' or is 'Setting temperature: no tool selected'. (I can't pinpoint where in the config file I'd need to make a change).

You need to send command T0 to select tool 0 first. If your machine is single extruder, then you may wish to put a T0 command at the end of config.g.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2015 02:16PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 09, 2015 04:30PM
Looking forward to hearing the progress of your project. Good Luck.
June 10, 2015 07:33AM
Thanks for the input dc42, not only for your response now but also for the articles you've written on your Kossel upgrade.

I'll make the checks as outlined to see if the stepper motors running in the right direction. The endstops were wired correctly however my Z endstop appears to be faulty so I'll change this out before getting the changes made.

Regarding the change/addition to the config.g file, would the extruder need to be selected using an M563, M109 (or G10) command?

Thanks again,

Raj
June 10, 2015 08:11AM
RepRapRaj83
Regarding the change/addition to the config.g file, would the extruder need to be selected using an M563, M109 (or G10) command?

M563 is used to define what tools (i.e. extruder + hot end combinations) you have. To actually select them, use the T0 command to select the tool defined using M563 P0, T1 to select the tool defined buy M562 P1, and so on.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 11, 2015 10:54AM
Hi to everyone reading this,

I've replaced my faulty endstop and switched over the wiring on the X/Y/Z axis stepper motors but I'm still having trouble with extruder/hot end.

The homing and axis movement issues I previously had have been resolved following the motor wiring change, however I'm still having trouble getting the extruder/hot end to be recognised.

Reviewing the G Codes now and will update as soon as I have this working.

Thanks,

Raj
June 11, 2015 11:18AM
Can you attach your config.g file?

Is the hot end temperature showing up in the web interface?

June 15, 2015 10:32AM
Hi dc42,

Apologies in the delay getting back to you.

I've attached the Config.g file and can see the temperature for the Hotend/Bed in Pronterface. I'm not using the web interface at the moment but fingers crossed this shouldn't have any impact on the mechanics.

Thanks,
Attachments:
open | download - config.g (3.4 KB)
June 15, 2015 12:36PM
RepRapRaj83
Hi dc42,

Apologies in the delay getting back to you.

I've attached the Config.g file and can see the temperature for the Hotend/Bed in Pronterface. I'm not using the web interface at the moment but fingers crossed this shouldn't have any impact on the mechanics.

Thanks,

You have this in your config.g file:

; Tool definitions
M563 P1 D0 H1                       ; Define tool 1
G10 P1 S0 R0                        ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures

That defines the hot end as tool 1. So you need to send command T1 to the printer before you can extrude or heat up the hot end.

However, the convention now is that you start numbering hot ends from zero. So I suggest you change those lines to:

; Tool definitions
M563 P0 D0 H1                       ; Define tool 1
G10 P0 S0 R0                        ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures

Also I suggest you add command T0 to the very rend of the config.g file. The five M557 commands are not needed and should be removed. See [github.com] for my current recommendations for the config.g file on a Mini Kossel.

EDIT: if you have a microswitch-type Z probe on your machine, then in the M558 command you should change P0 to P4.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/2015 12:37PM by dc42.

June 16, 2015 09:00AM
Thank you dc42,

I'll get these changes made to the Config.g file and update once things are working.

Thanks again,

Raj
August 02, 2015 08:31AM
Hi to everyone reading on the forum,

So, a long overdue update on the commissioning of the Delta printer with Duet Electronics.

@dc42 - The tooling instructions you provided were spot on, thank you. The printer axis all move as expected and tools are recognised/reacting as expected too. A few more tweaks to get the bed level and all should be ready.

Or so I thought.....

Temperature readouts are still a little off (at higher temperatures) and in order to compensate for this, I've been making amendments to the the 'L' offset in the Config file. I'm removing the SD card from the Duet electronics and updating these figures in wordpad across all 3 lines of M305 commands and then returning the card back into the electronics, powering up from there.

After incremental testing, I've now reached an almighty 'L-280' which still gives a readout 1 degree C below the temperature readout on my 'test' printer.

I've compared temperatures by drilling 2 holes into a heater block and then inserting both the thermistor from the Duet hot end and the hot end thermistor from another printer which I used to print the parts for my delta bot (I'm assuming the temperature readouts from my non delta printer are accurate as I wouldn't have managed to print anything otherwise). After powering up the printers/pronterface, I can then compare the readouts.

The 'L-280' offset is probably not the ideal correction as this should be between +100 and -100, however the maximum temperature that I can reach is about 177C with an 'L-100' offset.

So...What could be the cause of such a big discrepancy? Is this a symptom of something physical on the electronics board (solder bridge, broken connection/component etc) or is it something to do with wiring and potential 'noise' coming from wiring to other electronics? Am I updating the 'L' offset in the correct manner (I'm assuming I am otherwise I wouldn't have seen any fluctuations in temperature during tests).

Thoughts welcomed.

Thanks and regards to you all,

Raj
August 02, 2015 08:44AM
RepRapRaj83
Hi to everyone reading on the forum,

So, a long overdue update on the commissioning of the Delta printer with Duet Electronics.

@dc42 - The tooling instructions you provided were spot on, thank you. The printer axis all move as expected and tools are recognised/reacting as expected too. A few more tweaks to get the bed level and all should be ready.

Or so I thought.....

Temperature readouts are still a little off (at higher temperatures) and in order to compensate for this, I've been making amendments to the the 'L' offset in the Config file. I'm removing the SD card from the Duet electronics and updating these figures in wordpad across all 3 lines of M305 commands and then returning the card back into the electronics, powering up from there.

Easier is to edit the copy of config.g on your PC, then upload it to the printer using the Settings tab on the web interface. Then press Emergency Stop to reset the electronics and cause the new config.g to be processed.

RepRapRaj83
After incremental testing, I've now reached an almighty 'L-280' which still gives a readout 1 degree C below the temperature readout on my 'test' printer.

I've compared temperatures by drilling 2 holes into a heater block and then inserting both the thermistor from the Duet hot end and the hot end thermistor from another printer which I used to print the parts for my delta bot (I'm assuming the temperature readouts from my non delta printer are accurate as I wouldn't have managed to print anything otherwise). After powering up the printers/pronterface, I can then compare the readouts.

The 'L-280' offset is probably not the ideal correction as this should be between +100 and -100, however the maximum temperature that I can reach is about 177C with an 'L-100' offset.

So...What could be the cause of such a big discrepancy? Is this a symptom of something physical on the electronics board (solder bridge, broken connection/component etc) or is it something to do with wiring and potential 'noise' coming from wiring to other electronics? Am I updating the 'L' offset in the correct manner (I'm assuming I am otherwise I wouldn't have seen any fluctuations in temperature during tests).

It sounds to me that you have the wrong B value in the M305 P1 command. Do you get about the right reading at room temperature? What thermistor are you using, and what do you have the B value set to?

August 04, 2015 11:42AM
Hi dc42,

I'm controlling the printer using Pronterface and not the web interface at the moment so the (more straightforward) option you've outlined can't be looked at for now. You did refer to reset/emergency stop for processing the config file. Would this need to be done each time the data on the config file is updated? if so, I'll need to try this as I've only updated the config file and then inserted it into the electronics board.

Regarding Thermistors, I've got an EPCOS 100K Thermistor (B57560G1104F) with a B value of 4092k. The temperature reading on the low end is as close as I think I can get (.5 Deg C).

Thanks,

Raj
August 04, 2015 11:51AM
RepRapRaj83
Hi dc42,

I'm controlling the printer using Pronterface and not the web interface at the moment so the (more straightforward) option you've outlined can't be looked at for now. You did refer to reset/emergency stop for processing the config file. Would this need to be done each time the data on the config file is updated? if so, I'll need to try this as I've only updated the config file and then inserted it into the electronics board.

If you are powering down the printer when you remove the SD card to update it, that's good enough, because config.g is read at power on. The emergency stop button is just a convenient way to make the firmware restart without powering the printer down.

RepRapRaj83
Regarding Thermistors, I've got an EPCOS 100K Thermistor (B57560G1104F) with a B value of 4092k. The temperature reading on the low end is as close as I think I can get (.5 Deg C).

What H value did you need in the M305 P1 command to get the low temperature reading correct to 0.5C? Have you put that B value into the B parameter of the M305 P1 command?

You don't need to keep updating the SD card to test new values in the M305 command. Just send the M305 command via Pronterface, and the new values will be used immediately. When you have found the right values, put them into config.g.

August 08, 2015 05:18PM
I'm upgrading my Kossel to Duet, but I can't get my endstops to work with the Duet.

I have a set of these: [www.ebay.com]

But I cannot seem to configure them as NC, well if I do they never open.... When "opened" they just dim the led on the Duet but The Duet still reports it as being closed (not triggered)

Do I need to get some other endstops?
In that case could someone recommend some good accurate ones please.
August 09, 2015 03:13AM
Koenig
I'm upgrading my Kossel to Duet, but I can't get my endstops to work with the Duet.

But I cannot seem to configure them as NC, well if I do they never open.... When "opened" they just dim the led on the Duet but The Duet still reports it as being closed (not triggered)

I've just found what I think is the schematic for those endstops. You need to wire them as for RAMPS except that the order of the pin connections on the 3 way connector is different. On RAMPS it is Vcc, Ground, Signal (labelled +, - and S on the board). On Duet it is Signal, Vcc, Ground (with Signal being at the end next to the corresponding motor connector). Connect the green, red and black wires to those pins respectively. It looks like it has a DuPont connector on the end, so you can just swap the pins over in that connector.

These endstops use a changeover configuration and produce an active low output, which is the opposite of a normally closed switch. So in your M574 command in config.g, use parameter S0 instead of S1. The LED on the Duet will be on when the endstop is triggered, instead of off when it is not triggered.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 03:17AM by dc42.

August 09, 2015 03:33AM
dc42
Koenig

I've just found what I think is the schematic for those endstops. You need to wire them as for RAMPS except that the order of the pin connections on the 3 way connector is different. On RAMPS it is Vcc, Ground, Signal (labelled +, - and S on the board). On Duet it is Signal, Vcc, Ground (with Signal being at the end next to the corresponding motor connector). Connect the green, red and black wires to those pins respectively. It looks like it has a DuPont connector on the end, so you can just swap the pins over in that connector.

These endstops use a changeover configuration and produce an active low output, which is the opposite of a normally closed switch. So in your M574 command in config.g, use parameter S0 instead of S1. The LED on the Duet will be on when the endstop is triggered, instead of off when it is not triggered.

OK.

Sorry to have to be asking but I'm in the learning state...

This is my M574 line in the config.g today:
"M574 X2 Y2 Z2 P1"

It should be something like this instead:
"M574 X2 S1 Y2 S1 Z2 S1 P1" ?
August 09, 2015 03:56AM
There is no P parameter in the M574 command. Where did you get it from?

The command you need is:

M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S0

The S0 applies to all endstops defined in that M574 command. I will update the page at [reprap.org] to cover the case of active-low endstop switches.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 03:57AM by dc42.

August 09, 2015 04:20AM
dc42
There is no P parameter in the M574 command. Where did you get it from?

The command you need is:

M574 X2 Y2 Z2 S0

The S0 applies to all endstops defined in that M574 command. I will update the page at [reprap.org] to cover the case of active-low endstop switches.

I actually think I copy/paste the entire config.g from someplace can't remember where exactly. smiling smiley
Was a while ago though.

This was it:

; Configuration file for Mini Kossel kit from Think3DPrint3D

; Communication and general
M111 S0 ; Debug off
M550 PMy Mini Kossel ; Machine name (can be anything you like)
M551 Preprap ; Machine password (used for FTP)
M540 P0xBE:0xEF:0xDE:0xAD:0xFE:0xED ; MAC Address
;*** Adjust the IP address and gateway in the following 2 lines to suit your network
M552 P192.168.1.14 ; IP address
M554 P192.168.1.1 ; Gateway
M553 P255.255.255.0 ; Netmask
M555 P2 ; Set output to look like Marlin
G21 ; Work in millimetres
G90 ; Send absolute coordinates...
M83 ; ...but relative extruder moves

; Axis and motor configuration
M569 P0 S1 ; Drive 0 goes forwards
M569 P1 S1 ; Drive 1 goes forwards
M569 P2 S1 ; Drive 2 goes forwards
M569 P3 S1 ; Drive 3 goes forwards
M569 P4 S1 ; Drive 4 goes forwards
M574 X2 Y2 Z2 P1 ; set endstop configuration (all endstops at high end, active high)
;*** The homed height is deliberately set too high in the following - you will adjust it during calibration
M665 R105.6 L215.0 B85 H240 ; set delta radius, diagonal rod length, printable radius and homed height
M666 X0 Y0 Z0 ; put your endstop adjustments here
M92 X80 Y80 Z80 ; Set axis steps/mm
M906 X800 Y800 Z800 E800 ; Set motor currents (mA)
M201 X1000 Y1000 Z1000 E1000 ; Accelerations (mm/s^2)
M203 X15000 Y15000 Z15000 E3600 ; Maximum speeds (mm/min)
M566 X1200 Y1200 Z1200 E1200 ; Maximum instant speed changes mm/minute

; Thermistors
;*** If you have a Duet board stickered "4.7K", change R1000 to R4700 to the following M305 commands
M305 P0 T100000 B3950 R1000 H30 L0 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the bed thermistor ADC correction
M305 P1 T100000 B3974 R1000 H30 L0 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the first nozzle thermistor ADC correction
M305 P2 T100000 B3974 R1000 H30 L0 ; Put your own H and/or L values here to set the second nozzle thermistor ADC correction

; Tool definitions
M563 P1 D0 H1 ; Define tool 1
G10 P1 S0 R0 ; Set tool 1 operating and standby temperatures
M92 E663:663 ; Set extruder steps per mm
;*** If you have a dual-nozzle build, un-comment the next 2 lines
;M563 P2 D1 H2 ; Define tool 2
;G10 P2 S0 R0 ; Set tool 2 operating and standby temperatures

// Z probe and compensation definition
;*** If you have an IR zprobe, change P0 to P1 in the following M558 command
M558 P0 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Z probe is a switch and is not used for homing any axes
;G31 Z1.20 P500 ; Set the IR zprobe height and threshold (put your own values here)
;*** Adjust the XY coordinates in the following M557 commands if necessary to suit your build and the position of the zprobe
M557 P0 X-50 Y-50 ; Four...
M557 P1 X-50 Y50 ; ...probe points...
M557 P2 X50 Y50 ; ...for bed...
M557 P3 X50 Y-50 ; ...levelling
M557 P4 X0 Y0 ; 5th probe point for levelling
;*** If you are using axis compensation, put the figures in the following command
M556 S78 X0 Y0 Z0 ; Axis compensation here

EDIT: Well changing the P1 to S0 plus changing places on the cables in the connector did it.
Thank you!

You are a kind soul sir!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2015 04:28AM by Koenig.
August 12, 2015 02:49PM
Ok so I I connected my motors using this description: [reprap.org]
But when using that color-code (black, blue, green, red from left to right holding the card upside down according to the text) on the wires they just vibrated when I tried to home it...

So I looked at dc42's blog and found he had wired them in the opposite direction (red, green, blue, black) looking at this: [miscsolutions.files.wordpress.com]
But then the motors went backwards...

How should I wire them to get them to go forward?

Or would it be sufficient enough to just alter the "M569 P0 S1" to "M569 P0 S0" (same for the other motors)?

EDIT: Also, is the MOSFET on the board enough for a 12V 10.5A heatbed (Seems so small) , or should I be looking for some SSR or the like?
They all seem to require at least 24V on the secondary input though...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2015 03:00PM by Koenig.
August 12, 2015 06:11PM
Koenig
Ok so I I connected my motors using this description: [reprap.org]
But when using that color-code (black, blue, green, red from left to right holding the card upside down according to the text) on the wires they just vibrated when I tried to home it...

So I looked at dc42's blog and found he had wired them in the opposite direction (red, green, blue, black) looking at this: [miscsolutions.files.wordpress.com]
But then the motors went backwards...

Unfortunately, different manufacturers of stepper motors using the same JST connectors use different pin configurations. So here is what to do. Always turn the power off before unplugging or plugging in stepper motors.

1. If the motor just vibrates instead of moving, swap the two outermost connections on the 4-pin connector to the Duet.

2. If the motor moves backwards, either reverse the 4-pin connector, or use the M569 command to reverse the direction.

Koenig
EDIT: Also, is the MOSFET on the board enough for a 12V 10.5A heatbed (Seems so small) , or should I be looking for some SSR or the like?
They all seem to require at least 24V on the secondary input though...

The mosfet is good for at least 15A, the limitation is the terminal block and the size of the PCB traces. 10.5A is OK.

August 13, 2015 12:52AM
dc42

2. If the motor moves backwards, either reverse the 4-pin connector, or use the M569 command to reverse the direction.

This is what I thought as well, but if I reverse the connector the motors just stutter, that is exactly how I had it wired from the beginning.
August 13, 2015 02:50AM
What motors are you using, and what current have you set in the M906 command in config.g? If the motors can move the carriages down but not up, perhaps you need a higher motor current.

You could also try removing the belt and see how the motor moves then.

Use G92 followed by e.g. G1 S2 X10 to test the motors initially, so that the homing switches don't confuse the results.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 02:54AM by dc42.

August 13, 2015 05:39AM
dc42
What motors are you using, and what current have you set in the M906 command in config.g? If the motors can move the carriages down but not up, perhaps you need a higher motor current.

You could also try removing the belt and see how the motor moves then.

Use G92 followed by e.g. G1 S2 X10 to test the motors initially, so that the homing switches don't confuse the results.

17HM19-1684S at 1200mA, the motors turn just fine both up and down if I set "M569 P0 S0" (same for the 2 others),
but if I reverse the connector to make them go the "right" direction they just stutter.

Not really a problem any more since I solved just by setting "M569 P0 S0"

EDIT: Tried to reproduce the phenomenon again but this time one motor moved as it should and two stuttered, making me think the connectors inside the connector are not quite up to task...

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 04:07PM by Koenig.
August 13, 2015 04:07PM
The temps does not seem completely right either and I have no clue what L and H value to put in the M305 command, is there some way I can get them from the old Mega-firmware?
The termistors is the ones that came with this kit

In Marlin it was defined as 1 for both bed and hotend and that definition reads as: "1 is 100k thermistor - best choice for EPCOS 100k (4.7k pullup)"

But Marlin reported the room temperature being ~22 degrees Celsius, which is about correct, and the Duet reports it as 25 degrees which is a bit high....
i did not have any 4.7k sticker on my board when it arrived, it is stamped with the date 2015.01.23, is there a way to check if I have the 4.7k pullup?

Also trying to extrude some filament with pronterface I get this message: "Attempting to extrude with no tool selected." and nothing happens, I only have the one extruder.
I have disabled the cold extrusion prevention with: M302 P1
August 14, 2015 03:50AM
1. You can leave the L and H values set to zero in the M305 command. For the EPCOS 100K thermistor, I believe the correct B value in the M305 commands is 4036 4190.

2. If you use R1000 in the M305 commands (for 1K resistors), and you actually have 4.7K resistors, then the reading will be around 60C at room temperature. If the reading is around 20C (or whatever tour yoom temperature), then you have 1K resistors. Alternatively, see if you can read the values stamped on R19 and R21.

3. RepRapFirmware supports multiple print heads, so you need to tell it which one you are using before you try to extrude. Send a T0 command from Pronterface, or click on the tool in the web interface.

btw 1000mA is normally plenty for the motors you are using.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 03:55AM by dc42.

August 14, 2015 08:53AM
dc42
1. You can leave the L and H values set to zero in the M305 command. For the EPCOS 100K thermistor, I believe the correct B value in the M305 commands is 4036 4190.

If I use that value and set the others to 0 - "M305 P0 T100000 B4190 R1000 H0 L0" it reports the room temp as 17.5 degrees when in fact it is ~25 degrees (analog thermometer)now, so that does not seem right.
What value is that 4190? I looked in the wiki for EPCOS 100k and there was three, one seems to be discontinued so I guess we could chalk it down to two, and I can not find that value anywhere, the closest value I can find is the beta-value for B57560G1104F wich is 4092 is it this value you are referring to?
Anyway tried that as well but that does not give me the room temperature either, just slightly higher values than with 4190 though.
If I remove L30 from the original config.g values (3950 and 3974) those reading drop to about the same levels as the others I have tried, this confuses the shit out of me.... Why was it working so well with Marlin?

dc42
2. If you use R1000 in the M305 commands (for 1K resistors), and you actually have 4.7K resistors, then the reading will be around 60C at room temperature. If the reading is around 20C (or whatever tour yoom temperature), then you have 1K resistors. Alternatively, see if you can read the values stamped on R19 and R21.

Found them and they read 01b so I guess I have the 1K resistors.

dc42
3. RepRapFirmware supports multiple print heads, so you need to tell it which one you are using before you try to extrude. Send a T0 command from Pronterface, or click on the tool in the web interface.

Yes, thank you.

I'm plowing through this: [reprappro.com] right now, useful but definitely missing parts for deltas.

Is there some delta specific calibration for dimensional inaccuracies in your firmware, something like this: [delta-calibration.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com]
That is what I used on Marlin to get accurate prints, it seems my Z-tower is a few tenths off or something like that.
August 14, 2015 02:21PM
Koenig
dc42

If I use that value and set the others to 0 - "M305 P0 T100000 B4190 R1000 H0 L0" it reports the room temp as 17.5 degrees when in fact it is ~25 degrees (analog thermometer)now, so that does not seem right.

It's fairly common for the temperature to read low at room temperature when using a Duet with 1K resistors, because of the offset in the ADC on the SAM3X chip. That's why I added the M305 H parameter Try H30, and adjust up or down until you get the about the right reading at room temperature. Leave the L value at zero.

I found the datasheet for the B57560G104F here [www.farnell.com]. The quoted B value is 4036, but that's from 25C ro 100C. Looking at the temperature tables, a more accurate value over 25C to 220C is 4190. I choose 220C because that's close to PLA and ABS printing temperatures.

Koenig
dc42

Found them and they read 01b so I guess I have the 1K resistors.

dc42

Yes, thank you.

I'm plowing through this: [reprappro.com] right now, useful but definitely missing parts for deltas.

Is there some delta specific calibration for dimensional inaccuracies in your firmware, something like this: [delta-calibration.s3-website-us-west-2.amazonaws.com]
That is what I used on Marlin to get accurate prints, it seems my Z-tower is a few tenths off or something like that.

Yes, see [reprap.org].

August 15, 2015 05:35AM
OK

Now I'm having a real difficult time trying to manually calibrate my printer.

I have deliberately set my homed height in config.g to about 1mm to little to have some headroom when calibrating the endstops but when I send "M666 X-1.00 Y-1.00 Z-1.00" and then home the printer again nothings happened when I try to do the papertest in the center, in other words sending "G0 F6000 X0 Y0 Z5" then slowly step down the last 5mm.
I then tried to write "M666 X-1.00 Y-1.00 Z-1.00" to the config.g and reset the printer and retried the papertest, still no luck, it seems that M666 do nothing at all.....
August 15, 2015 06:10AM
I assure you that M666 does work. You didn't see any change because:

1. The homed height is independent of the M666 settings.

2. You changed all the M666 X, Y and Z values by the same amount, which has the same effect as not changing them at all.

If you have a Z probe, the simplest approach is to check that it works properly, then set the Z dive height (H parameter in the M558 command) very large e.g. 20mm, set up the bed.g file, and run auto calibration. If you wish, you can use the M906 command to reduce the motor currents, so as to reduce the force of any head crash.

If you want to do manual calibration, start by measuring all three heights just in front of the towers, and adjust the M666 parameters to make them all equal. Then measure the height at the bed centre, and adjust the delta radius by about 2.2 times the difference in height at the centre compared to the height by the towers. When you have all 4 heights equal, adjust the homed height to get Z=0 right on the bed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login