Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Large Kossel build: Feedback encouraged

Posted by wayno complaino 
Re: My Large Kossel build: Feedback encouraged
June 29, 2015 06:40AM
Well, the enclosure has made a huge difference to the quality of large ABS prints....

Still some small cracks and very slight lifting but much better.

Although i may now need to change my retraction setting as its got quite hairy. Better than large cracks mind.

Quick dry fit.

Damn preview rotation! Click for correct way up.....
July 01, 2015 09:33AM
Spent the morning in works workshop playing with big toys. This is the result....

July 06, 2015 06:33PM
That already looks very nice!
What speeds have you been printing the ABS parts at?

Did you check the alignment?
Are those colums true vertical - i.e. 90° to the horizontal beams?
What size of extrusion are you going to use at the top?
40x20 or also 60x20?

Is that makerslide extrusion?

Cheers,
Alex
July 07, 2015 10:00AM
Alignment, now there's a question!

I've just today bolted the printed parts to the extrusion and the bottom corners are looking promising. They line up nicely and the towers are quite square, enough that when bolted together any misalignment over the whole length can be compensated for while tightening the bolts. I printed for M3 hardware but had to use M5 hardware, drilling the holes out leaves the corners too weak to use and they crush without the extra material around the printed holes. Not a big problem to adjust and reprint.

BUT

The top corners i have printed are very wonky, you can see it easily. I didn't notice until i was cleaning the part up at work, its so bad that i think something must have come lose in the frame of my mini kossel. The print is of good quality so it cant be anything major, its just on an obvious slant. Weird being as the bottom corners are correct. I'll investigate tonight.
July 07, 2015 10:07AM
Oh, 2040 V-Slot from ooznest for the top, here's the current version (that printed wrong)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 10:08AM by wayno complaino.
December 04, 2015 07:10AM
This obviously has taken a back seat recently as I've had other priorities (new baby and being skint). Things are returning to normal now so I hope to get back on the large Kossel build in one form or another.

My design skills have improved and the Mini Kossel is more refined so i'm hoping this will help with the large parts. I have ordered the diamond hotend too.....
December 13, 2015 03:25PM
Looking good wayne. I plan on starting mine after xmas, probably by ordering the robotdigg corners. May get a extra set of top corners so I can use them at the bottom to give more space for the electronics. Could just print some though as they wont be needed to add to the rigidity. Also have to decide on where to get the extrusions (2020 and 2040), probably I type from Motedis.
Also like the idea of separate top pulley mounting, will have to look into that as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2015 03:26PM by Wavy Davy.
December 13, 2015 03:49PM
* I am working on a large delta build and could use some input.
* Frame: Open builds store 3x 1500-2040, 3x 500-2040 upper, 6x 500-2020 lower, RobotDigg xxl corners, .
* Running Gear: Robot Digg 1.8 degree nema 23 motors with Robotdigg nema 23 dampers, rails/wheels running on the support towers. Pulleys are GT2x32 6.25 bore (sizing??),
* Opto-Endstops,
* Bed: 300mm aluminum heat spreader and rubber hpb element.
* Power: 350w 24v led type power supply.
* Effextor/Extruder: UtilBots UMBEE magball effector/direct extruder from shapeways in black stainless steel modified to support ir sensor board (I also have FST kits on the bench but haven’t decided which to use)
* Diagonal Rods: 6x500mm 9mm od 6mm id wrapped carbon fiber tubes as effector rods. (length? i dont mind giving up height on this size build and i can always cut them back, i know the 60, 62 and 80% guidelines, but the trend seems to be getting closer and closer to horizontal extrusion length)
* UMBEE uses 43mm wide ball spacing between rods and i believe a 43 mm effector offset. carriage offset should be around 25mm
Electronics: I chose (and may regret) the ramps-fd v1.2 on and arduino due with a choice of steppers (I have A4988, DRV8825, and MKS TMC2100) i was going to use the 2100’s. a Gikfun AT24C256 I2C EEPROM, Reprap Ramps1.4 RRD Fan Extender for pwm on fans, with the Ramps-FD display adapter and a repRap discount full graphics smart controller. or the RepRap MKS TFT28 V1.2 smart touch screen controller with Bluetooth and Wifi.
* Firmware: most familiar with repetier (it colored my choice of electronics, but i have read that though it supports 32 bit, it doesn’t really take advantage of it)
* i also have other power supplies and a 24v relay w/heat sink lying around.
* I would welcome thoughts, comments, caution and advice etc. with the understanding that this is what i already have in the bench and i haven’t cut anything to length yet…

* Many thanks in advance-

* MMS
December 13, 2015 06:42PM
mshievitz
* I am working on a large delta build and could use some input.
* Frame: Open builds store 3x 1500-2040, 3x 500-2040 upper, 6x 500-2020 lower, RobotDigg xxl corners, .
* Running Gear: Robot Digg 1.8 degree nema 23 motors with Robotdigg nema 23 dampers, rails/wheels running on the support towers. Pulleys are GT2x32 6.25 bore (sizing??),
* Opto-Endstops,
* Bed: 300mm aluminum heat spreader and rubber hpb element.
* Power: 350w 24v led type power supply.
* Effextor/Extruder: UtilBots UMBEE magball effector/direct extruder from shapeways in black stainless steel modified to support ir sensor board (I also have FST kits on the bench but haven’t decided which to use)
* Diagonal Rods: 6x500mm 9mm od 6mm id wrapped carbon fiber tubes as effector rods. (length? i dont mind giving up height on this size build and i can always cut them back, i know the 60, 62 and 80% guidelines, but the trend seems to be getting closer and closer to horizontal extrusion length)
* UMBEE uses 43mm wide ball spacing between rods and i believe a 43 mm effector offset. carriage offset should be around 25mm
Electronics: I chose (and may regret) the ramps-fd v1.2 on and arduino due with a choice of steppers (I have A4988, DRV8825, and MKS TMC2100) i was going to use the 2100’s. a Gikfun AT24C256 I2C EEPROM, Reprap Ramps1.4 RRD Fan Extender for pwm on fans, with the Ramps-FD display adapter and a repRap discount full graphics smart controller. or the RepRap MKS TFT28 V1.2 smart touch screen controller with Bluetooth and Wifi.
* Firmware: most familiar with repetier (it colored my choice of electronics, but i have read that though it supports 32 bit, it doesn’t really take advantage of it)
* i also have other power supplies and a 24v relay w/heat sink lying around.
* I would welcome thoughts, comments, caution and advice etc. with the understanding that this is what i already have in the bench and i haven’t cut anything to length yet…

* Many thanks in advance-

* MMS

I have already replied to your very similar comment on my blog at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
December 14, 2015 04:28AM
dc42

I have already replied to your very similar comment on my blog at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

mshievitz, I'm nowhere near as experienced as David, go with his advice.
December 18, 2015 04:24AM
Making some progress again....

Gonna stick with the standard width between the arms for ease for now. Just need to make dome wider carriages to work with the 4020.
January 03, 2016 04:39PM
New additions....

New designs...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login