Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice on Electronics

Posted by troshto 
Advice on Electronics
May 19, 2015 01:21PM
Hi guys,
I'd like to build my first reprap (a Kossel!) but I need advice on which electronics to purchase.

The features I'm interested in are auto bed leveling and wifi (maybe?). Does anyone have suggestions?
Re: Advice on Electronics
May 19, 2015 05:08PM
Here are a couple of solutions with WiFi:

1. AZSMZ Mini + LCD display + ESP8266 WiFi adapter (which plugs into the display). I don't know how well the WiFi works. The bandwidth supported by the ESP8266 is very low, so I am not hopeful. Forum user cxcandy promotes the AXSMZ Mini, so he can tell you more. AFAIR the AZSMZ Mini costs around $65, I don't know how much the LCD adapter costs, and the ESP8266 is about $2.

2. Duet electronics + a cheap Ethernet to WiFi adapter. This will provide a much greater bandwidth than the ESP8266 can. The Duet supports an excellent web interface (DuetWebControl), also the Duet firmware is the only one that supports segmentation-free delta movement and fast single-iteration 3, 4, 6 or 7-factor auto delta calibration. A Duet is $80 from Replikeo, or a little more from RepRapPro or Think3DPrint3D. An Ethernet to WiFi adapter is about $10. I use a Duet to control my delta, and I maintain the Delta support in the firmware it runs.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Re: Advice on Electronics
May 20, 2015 06:30AM
I use an Azteeg X5 mini running Smoothieware, I really like it! for printing over wifi I use Octoprint on a Raspberry Pi with a USB wifi adapter, OctoPi is a complete package for running octoprint on a Rasperry pi, easy to install and you have to possibility to add a PiCam and watch your print in the browser or record a time-lapse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login