Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I'm building a Delta.

Posted by madmike8 
I'm building a Delta.
May 16, 2015 12:49AM
Progress will be slow on this build until I get a few projects in front of it wrapped up, but I thought I'd get a thread started anyways. I was looking for a delta design that I could use spare parts I have laying around for the most part. I came across the R/K Delta on thingiverse. Link It looks like it fits my wants. I've got 8mm rods and linear bearings already. I have 3 sticks of 500mm 20/20 extrusion. I've got GT2 belts and pulleys. I think I may be able to use 3/4" (19mm) square aluminum tubing to go between the towers in place of the extrusions.

Anyways, sorry for the bad pics.

Re: I'm building a Delta.
October 07, 2015 11:26PM
It's been a while since I've made an progress, but I did get some more done. I'm using Hobbyking ($1 each) 13x13x250mm square tubing and printed adapters for the frame. It's pretty solid, now I'm waiting for some more screws to get the rest together.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2015 10:19AM by madmike8.
October 08, 2015 03:35AM
There's only one linear bearing per rod?
I hope you don't use the cheap ones, because any tilt in the carriers have a huge influence.

Nice idea to use adapters for the square tubing for verticals. I often forget that many places in the world don't have easy access to metric stuff like screws or 20mm square tubing. sad smiley
-Olaf
October 08, 2015 07:02AM
o_lampe
There's only one linear bearing per rod?
I hope you don't use the cheap ones, because any tilt in the carriers have a huge influence.
Bigger problem will be quick wearing out of the universal joints. This will lead to play in them which will dwarf any tilt in the linear bearings. Looks like frame will be stiff enough. That would mean that the next problem will be rather low young modulus of glass core GT2 belts. It the belts use glass core as it is common. Anyway this will get significant only at higher accelerations.
But yes, carriage tilt is a problem (after arms are improved and frame is stiff enough). You can mitigate carriage tilt by moving diagonal arm joint near to the center of the linear bearings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2015 07:03AM by hercek.
October 08, 2015 10:28AM
Neither are a real problem at the moment. I'm building this on the cheap for the experience, since I've never messed with a Delta yet. If I like it enough, I will upgrade from there... It seems good enough to get the Delta movement started... It should work for me...

Thanks for the recommendations though. I know what to look for in the future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login