Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Z Probe (What one if any)

Posted by mikes3ds 
Z Probe (What one if any)
April 13, 2015 05:16PM
Is it worth installing a z-probe on my first delta printer?
If it is microswitch in effector or mircoswitch with a probe rod? (Can't use inductive sensor, I have a glass bed)

Thoughts on this would be nice, currently I am going with out the zprobe.
(This is my first 3d printer and still building it currently Cherry Pi iii XL, with 32 bit smoothie, e3d v6 hotend.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2015 05:17PM by mikes3ds.
Re: Z Probe (What one if any)
April 13, 2015 05:24PM
Manual calibration requires at least 1/2 hour, but can take a lot more time than that. A Z-probe is a must if you intend to do auto-calibration, which can take less than a minute.
I have seen at least two designs where the Z-probe is removable, using magnets. Very nice imho.
April 13, 2015 05:46PM
Its a fun upgrade in my opinion, and I have FSR sensors installed under my glass bed. However, it isn't a necessary upgrade. You should be able to manually calibrate your bed for a flat print. The auto-calibration should be more for fine tuning once you are finished setting up your printer.

I purchased my FSR kit from Utlibot, I believe the original designer of the PCB board sells through TriDPrinting, or you can just buy a trinket and some sensors through a electronics company like Adafruit...runs $30-$40.
April 14, 2015 04:51AM
Or you just install thumb screws in which case manual calibration takes 2 min and you can fine tune while the printer lays down the first layer.

Make a macro button for each screw location then quick paper test at each and your done

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login