Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extrusion: A bit temperamental. 3-in-1 oil??

Posted by Dark Skunk 
Extrusion: A bit temperamental. 3-in-1 oil??
April 03, 2015 04:10PM
I have a mini kossel. I got a lot of help so far and things are 'working'. Some prints are good, some not so much. Most recently the filament is not feeding. I watched a video to lightly oil the filament with 3-in-1 oil. So I am doing that now. It's only seemed worse frankly. I also notice that slic3r is good sometimes and pretty poor other times. Do you use other programs?
Re: Extrusion: A bit temperamental. 3-in-1 oil??
April 03, 2015 05:41PM
I have a Mini Kossel too. It's a T3P3 kit with the RepRap Mini Geared Extruder. I don't oil the filament, and I suspect it would make the adhesion to the bed worse. I find the torque of the clamping screws on the extruder quite critical, also I suspect that the default max acceleration for the extruder drive is way too high. With the right clamping force, I find PLA filament feeds well; but my printing speeds with ABS filament are limited by how well the extruder can grip it.

I use slic3r.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2015 05:44PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
April 03, 2015 05:43PM
If you need lubrificantion then most likely have some spot that has too much friction. Or a bad extruder. No lubricant ever on my printer. It's possible your going too fast too. One more thing concerning software. Cura is very easy to use. I personally see no need for other slicer.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
April 04, 2015 08:48AM
So I didn't need the 3-in-1, it was printing pretty good. I just saw a video that said it was a good idea.

I was struggling with my direct drive extruder, but now I have a geared one that would pull a car out of a garage, so I'm thinking that's ok...

I'm going to look into Cura. I'm not sure Slic3r is doing it in some cases. I'm starting to think I'm having more issues with the slice than the actual printing.

I'm going to print a buddha with yoga's head. We'll see how that comes out...
April 07, 2015 10:26AM
Remember that every curve in your bowden tube will increase the friction of the filament passing through it. You want as few bends as possible, and as large a radius on each bend as possible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login