Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Delta Steel, a slightly modified Delta-Pi

Posted by AndrewBCN 
Re: The Delta Steel, a slightly modified Delta-Pi
April 26, 2015 06:55AM
@AndrewBCN

I bought 30 623zz bearings two days ago, one per 1,500 KRW.

I downloaded your Marlin firmware and uploaded it to Arduino Mega of my Mini Kossel out of curiosity.
When I tried G30 E, it was moving in empty air so I had to power off the board immediately.

RichCattell's Marlin v1.0.4 I'm using.
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET {21.00, -9.0, -5.30, 0}  
#define Z_PROBE_DEPLOY_START_LOCATION {0, 0, 30, 0} 
#define Z_PROBE_DEPLOY_END_LOCATION {0, 0, 30, 0}    
#define Z_PROBE_RETRACT_START_LOCATION {0, 0, 30, 0}  // X, Y, Z, E start location for z-probe retract sequence
#define Z_PROBE_RETRACT_END_LOCATION {0, 0, 30, 0} 

// Y axis carriage hits the endstop when it's 25 due to the Z probe offset
#define AUTOLEVEL_GRID 20 // (24) Distance between autolevel Z probing points, should be less than print surface radius/3.

Configuration.h of Delta Steel firmware I modified.
// These are the offsets to the probe relative to the extruder tip (Hotend - Probe)
  // X and Y offsets must be integers
//  (-21.00, 9.30, 5.30)
  #define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 21.0 // KosselPro actual: -22.919
  #define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -9.0 // KosselPro actual: -6.304
  // Kossel Pro note: The correct value is likely -17.45 but I'd rather err on the side of
  // not giving someone a head crash. Use something like G29 Z-0.2 to adjust as needed.
  #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -5.30 // (-17.25)  Increase this if the first layer is too thin (remember: it's a negative number so increase means closer to zero).

#define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_HOMING 4       // (in mm) Raise Z before homing (G28) for Probe Clearance.
                                        // Be sure you have this distance over your Z_MAX_POS in case

#define XY_TRAVEL_SPEED 1000         // X and Y axis travel speed between probes, in mm/min

#define Z_RAISE_BEFORE_PROBING   100 //How much the extruder will be raised before traveling to the first probing point.
  #define Z_RAISE_BETWEEN_PROBINGS 2   //How much the extruder will be raised when traveling from between next probing points
April 26, 2015 07:10AM
Hi Hughe,

G30 E seems to not work (yet), but you can try G30 A which I can guarantee works as expected: it properly probes 7 points on the heated bed per iteration and auto-calibrates in around 6~9 iterations.

1500KRW is $1.39, that is very expensive! I paid $0.15 each for mine in a lot of 50, ordered from AliExpress.

I am attaching my Configuration.h file for the Delta Steel, so you can compare with yours.
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (26.5 KB)
April 26, 2015 05:28PM
Hi AndrewBCN,

Have you uploaded the files for that minimalist extruder? Have you tried it yet? Do you have a picture of it assembled???

Here is the one I was looking at:

[www.thingiverse.com]
April 26, 2015 05:53PM
patrickrio
Hi AndrewBCN,

Have you uploaded the files for that minimalist extruder? Have you tried it yet? Do you have a picture of it assembled???

Here is the one I was looking at:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Hi,

It's a slightly modified version of this one: [www.thingiverse.com] but I haven't had the time to upload my modifications to Thingiverse yet. Will do so soon.

I am testing it since a couple of days ago, and it works very well indeed. I have posted a picture of it assembled earlier in my blog, but I'll post a picture and a video of it working later tonight.
April 26, 2015 07:06PM
OK, here are a few pictures of the extruder installed on my Prusa i3 Twelvepro. The stepper clamp is a part I designed earlier and is available on Thingiverse; it was printed using the extruder itself.

The object I posted for the Sunday Challenge was printed very exactly this morning on the Prusa i3 using this extruder, to test its retraction performance. I must say I am quite satisfied with it! grinning smiley
April 26, 2015 07:22PM
what does the orange part do?

I am going to use standard 90 degree metal mounting brackets for my motors since they cost almost nothing from robotdigg... stronger too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 07:25PM by patrickrio.
April 26, 2015 07:43PM
patrickrio
what does the orange part do?
It's an optional stepper shaft key, based on a design by Marty Rice. Available on Thingiverse here: [www.thingiverse.com]
April 26, 2015 08:25PM
how easy is it to start new filament with that design since it doesnt have a release lever.. is that what the key is for?
April 26, 2015 09:18PM
The same as most compact Bowden extruders, I suppose: just run a bit of filament through the input hole until it reaches the gear (approximately 20mm). From then on yes you can use the key (WARNING: the key must only be used with the extruder stepper disabled), but it's better to just feed the filament into the PTFE tube by advancing the stepper from the LCD/rotary encoder or from Pronterface/OctoPrint.

I don't think it would be a good idea to add a proper lever to the idler, because the hinge is just a single M3 screw held on one side, and using the lever would put too much lateral stress on it. You would have to redesign the entire extruder, and you would probably end up with something considerably larger.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2015 09:20PM by AndrewBCN.
April 27, 2015 11:01AM
I have posted a video of the Bowden extruder as installed on the Prusa i3 and printing the 40mm fan guard.

[www.youtube.com]

If you want to skip directly where you see the extruder retraction at work, skip to the 3:00 mark.
May 05, 2015 01:08PM
Hi,
An update on what I have been working on since my last post in this thread: basically, I am redesigning (all my work is in OpenSCAD) the Kossel Mini effector to integrate the E3D cooling fan as well as a layer fan mount for my fan duct system on Thingiverse. I am also thinking about how I can integrate a removable/click-in-place Z-probe for auto-calibration in this design.

Right now this is what the new effector + cooling system design looks like:

BTW the hotend is an inexpensive $10 E3D V5 "Made in China" clone.
May 05, 2015 03:51PM
It looks good! I am currently using the E3D effector and fan mount from my original T3P3 Mini Kossel kit. However the fan ducting has gaps at the bottom, which made it hard to print ABS until I taped over them. So I would like to print your design. Where is your repo?

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 05, 2015 04:17PM
Well, I usually publish all my designs on Thingiverse, but only once they have stabilized a little bit.
The two parts that you see in the pictures above (the effector and the fan duct/lock plate) are still evolving, do you want me to PM you the STLs or OpenSCAD files as they are right now?

Here are two screeshots of OpenSCAD, one for each part:

May 05, 2015 04:37PM
Thanks Andrew, however I can wait a few days as I have a lot of other things to keep me busy for now.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 06, 2015 09:20AM
Integration of a layer fan duct from my fan duct collection on Thingiverse with my redesigned Kossel Mini effector:

The resulting hotend configuration is almost identical to the one I am using on my Prusa i3 Twelvepro, which I used to generate the object for the Sunday Print Challenge #1, so hopefully it will perform just as well on the Delta Steel, despite the slightly longer Bowden tube. (Youtube video here: [www.youtube.com] )

We'll see. My next post is probably going to be about installing this new hotend setup on the Delta Steel and my first attempts at printing something.
May 06, 2015 05:11PM
I'm working on new effector for E3D V6 Hotend. When it's done, I'll pass it to Andrew. winking smiley
- Lower the center of mass
- Small profile
- Magnet/Spring loaded diagonal rod

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2015 05:13PM by janpenguin.
May 06, 2015 05:37PM
Hughe,
Your design is looking seriously good! thumbs up And I like the trigonometric formulas too. grinning smiley

Here are a few more pictures of the Delta Steel Kossel Mini E3D V5 effector with my cooling system additions:

May 07, 2015 05:49AM
Andrew, can you confirm that your design is for 30mm fans?

May 07, 2015 06:28AM
It's actually for 40mm fans. The reason I use 40mm fans is that imho the 30mm fans are far too noisy and don't provide nearly as much airflow as the 40mm fans, despite their higher RPMs. If I could I would use even larger fans, but space is very limited in general in 3D printers, in particular around the print head/effector.
May 07, 2015 06:51AM
dc42
Andrew, can you confirm that your design is for 30mm fans?

Dave not sure which E3D you are using but the V5 and V6 are very different in there sizing the V5 is approx 8 mm longer in the body than the V6. I don't think you would get a 40 mm fan onto a V6 as the length of the fins is only 26 mm

E3D V6 heat sink

"http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/Filegrinning smileyRAWING-V5-SINK.jpg"

the V5 link doesn't appear correctly in the forum so have pasted the link within quotes

replace the green smiley with : D without the space.

Doug

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2015 06:57AM by dougal1957.
May 07, 2015 07:52AM
Thanks Andrew & Dougal. I think I have a V6. The current fan is 40mm but is mounted higher than in Andrew's photo, and the bottom of the fan is lower than in the photo. I'll try to adapt Andrew's design for the V6 when he publishes it. I'll also need to add something to mount the IR sensor on.

May 07, 2015 08:14AM
dc42
Thanks Andrew & Dougal. I think I have a V6. The current fan is 40mm but is mounted higher than in Andrew's photo, and the bottom of the fan is lower than in the photo. I'll try to adapt Andrew's design for the V6 when he publishes it. I'll also need to add something to mount the IR sensor on.

Dave

If it is an original then it should have a transparent Blue Fan shroud for a 30 mm fan and the inner solid part of the heatsink is tapered with large at the bottom and the V5 came with a printed fan shroud and the inner part of the heatsink is stepped rather than tapered.

The V6 Lite has a transparent red shroud and heatsink/heatbreak is all one in Stainless.

HTH

Doug
May 08, 2015 08:05PM
It uses 30 mm x 30 mm x 10 mm fan.
Distance between two screw holes is 12 mm.
Screw hole diameter is 3 mm.
Four hole coordinates are (12, 12), (12, -12), (-12, -12), (-12, 12).

One delta effector design I studied. I couldn't figure out how the builder mounted Hotend and
Auto level probe.
[www.youmagine.com]

The demonstration video of Spiderbot has vertical fan mount over the effector.
I think it uses a blower and air tube that delivers air stream to heatsink.

[youtu.be]
Three point Effector

I have one question. Does blowing cold air to tip of the nozzle improve printing quality?
May 09, 2015 12:07AM
janpenguin
I have one question. Does blowing cold air to tip of the nozzle improve printing quality?

Hughe,
When printing PLA, people have found that blowing cool (ambient temperature) air to just below the tip of the nozzle will improve print quality, specially for bridges and overhangs. The fan used to do so is generally called a layer fan, and it is connected to the PWM D9 fan output of the RAMPS so that the slicer software can vary its speed and switch it on/off. As far as I know, the layer fan is kept turned off when printing ABS.

The E3D body fan which you have designed for your effector as shown in your pictures above, is meant to cool the E3D aluminum body and should be directly connected to the +12V output of the PSU.
May 14, 2015 12:21AM
Hi Andrew,

Did you ever get your extruder design posted somewhere? I think yours is the simplest, with the least amount of printed plastic, of any of the extruder designs... I would like to try it.
May 14, 2015 12:57AM
Patrick,
I am still testing the extruder, this is why I haven't posted any STL and OpenSCAD files to Thingiverse yet. But as mentioned above, it is just a basic remix of this one on Thingiverse, the stepper mount part as well as the shaft key I have previously posted on Thingiverse.

Actually there are a couple of further modifications I would like to make to the design of this extruder:
- Reinforcing the hinge.
- Using a ball bearing of smaller diameter to decrease contact area with filament, i.e. more pressure with the same force (more pressure on the filament = better grip).
May 14, 2015 03:51PM
Just a note for those who are following this project closely or even remotely interested in building a Delta-Pi or a Delta Steel: I have more or less decided to build a second prototype of the Delta Steel which will feature quite a few design improvements over the first prototype, besides being slightly smaller.

The main modification with this Delta Steel V2 is that I have decided to move the steppers and the electronics stack to the top plate, and obviously the belt tensioners will go below the bottom plate. Another significant change is that I will test the Due + modified RAMPS 1.4 setup (see thread in the RAMPS forum) running Marlin4Due in this Delta Steel V2.

These changes are motivated by the fact that I am presently dealing with a "rather too long for my taste" cable harness from the electronics stack to the effector.

In the meantime, it's back to work on the Delta Steel V1!
May 22, 2015 07:39PM
Here is the fan duct assembly. I found few design flaws and Slic3r setting.
It uses 40x40x10 fan.

I fixed the design flaws and applied hull().

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2015 05:33PM by janpenguin.
September 30, 2015 05:36PM
Hello Andrew, I followed with great interest your development but it's a bit worrying me that I didn't see any more updates since May. I was hoping people are on vacation over the summer but here it is almost winter, at least here in Finland and still no more posts regarding the v2.

I hope everything is good so keep up the good work.

RepRap Lander concept on Concept Forge
RepRap Lander concept on RepRap Forums
My Things, mostly experimental stuff
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login