Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it gcode or hardware ??

Posted by jmf 
jmf
Is it gcode or hardware ??
February 26, 2015 10:02PM
Lately it seems like I have more print failures due to the printer making some kind of strange move,
like burying the head into the material, raising the head and continues to print,
sometimes it just goes out in one direction for no reason then returns to the print and continues to print.

This is starting to bug me, I have no idea why this is happening, is it bad gcode, or something wrong with my hardware.

Thanks,
John
Re: Is it gcode or hardware ??
February 26, 2015 11:14PM
Do you use slic3r? Check the gcode on the host screen. Turn on travel moves to see non-print moves. Check each layer. If it checks out ok then the problem should be something else, not gcode.

Sometimes it can be gcode. I always I check the layers in the simulation before printing and a couple of times I discovered it sliced cavities where there should be just infill.

I found out later after much frustration that slic3r Print settings can somehow become corrupted, messing up the slices. Then I thought of slicing with the default settings and indeed, the problem went away. So I made new settings from that and so far so good.

Hth

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 11:24PM by boksbox.
jmf
February 27, 2015 12:18AM
boksbox - Yes I am using slic3r, not sure what you mean by checking the gcode, is this done in slic3r ?
February 27, 2015 02:01AM
I mean after slicing in repetier host, you will be brought to the gcode panel. You can check the layers generated by the gcode on screen.
See screen shot below:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 06:10AM by boksbox.
Attachments:
open | download - Screen Shot 2015-02-27 at 2.40.16 PM.png (572.3 KB)
February 27, 2015 07:18AM
Did you tune your stepper drivers? Are the belts/pulleys tight?????
jmf
February 27, 2015 09:34AM
boksbox - thanks, I understand, yes I have been checking it with Repetier.

vreihen - Yes, I am using belts and pulleys and they do seem a bit tight, I'm new to this but how would tight belts affect the print, I have not tuned my steppers, not sure how to do that ?

Thanks
John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 09:36AM by jmf.
jmf
February 27, 2015 10:54AM
Here's a new one, I was printing this morning, all was well then it printed almost an entire layer at like zero speed, it was moving but barely, then it started printing normally again ???
February 27, 2015 11:59AM
jmf
Here's a new one, I was printing this morning, all was well then it printed almost an entire layer at like zero speed, it was moving but barely, then it started printing normally again ???

Do you by any chance have a full graphics LCD Display fitted and I am assuming here that you are using a Ramps setup?

Doug
jmf
February 27, 2015 12:33PM
dougal1957
jmf

Do you by any chance have a full graphics LCD Display fitted and I am assuming here that you are using a Ramps setup?

Doug

Yes, I am using the full graphics with a Rambo board.
February 27, 2015 01:02PM
There's your answer it is a fairly well known fact that adding a full graphics controller onto 8 bit control boards when coupled with a delta causes drop out.

The Mega 2560 based boards can't cope with the extra processing that is required.

Doug
jmf
February 27, 2015 02:21PM
dougal1957
There's your answer it is a fairly well known fact that adding a full graphics controller onto 8 bit control boards when coupled with a delta causes drop out.

The Mega 2560 based boards can't cope with the extra processing that is required.

Doug

WOW, that's exactly what seems to be happening.
I'm disconnecting right now and change the firmware file to disable it.

I never knew that, I do have a Smoothie board in a box, would it be worth the change to it ?

Thanks !!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 02:27PM by jmf.
February 27, 2015 02:32PM
jmf
dougal1957

Doug

WOW, that's exactly what seems to be happening.
I'm disconnecting right now and change the firmware file to disable it.

I never knew that, I do have a Smoothie board in a box, would it be worth the change to it ?

Thanks !!!

Without doubt.
jmf
February 27, 2015 02:38PM
Thank you Dougal1957, this was driving me nuts, I will start reading up on the smoothie board and change it over.

UPDATE:
Yeeeha, that was it !

I just finished a 4 hour print without one hiccup, thanks again Dougal1957

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2015 07:15PM by jmf.
February 27, 2015 07:19PM
Smoothie for the win..... thumbs up
jmf
February 27, 2015 09:15PM
vreihen
Smoothie for the win..... thumbs up

Yeah, I will be transitioning over to the smoothie asap...
March 02, 2015 08:30PM
Before you do that, try this - reduce the DELTA_SEGMENTS_PER_SECOND to 80 in your firmware. See if there's any improvement in stuttering or hiccups.
March 02, 2015 09:08PM
Hi all
Just building a mini kossel now.
Does this happen with all LCD attachments to ramps or is it just the full graphics version ??
Thanks
jmf
March 02, 2015 09:42PM
boksbox
Before you do that, try this - reduce the DELTA_SEGMENTS_PER_SECOND to 80 in your firmware. See if there's any improvement in stuttering or hiccups.

boksbox, I did that and it was like night and day, not one stutter since, and I have not had one print failure since I took off the display.

Thanks !!
jmf
March 02, 2015 09:43PM
bigfilsing
Hi all
Does this happen with all LCD attachments to ramps or is it just the full graphics version ??
Thanks

I'm not sure on that one either, anyone else know ?
March 03, 2015 02:55AM
jmf
bigfilsing
Hi all
Thanks

I believe that the simple Graphics card is ok (Just) I know of several kits that are supplied with it and they all seem to work.

But if you want a really nice Graphics display (Touch screen as well) then you need look no further than the DUET controller with PanelDue display combination by DC42 see and

HTH Doug
March 03, 2015 05:29AM
jmf
boksbox

boksbox, I did that and it was like night and day, not one stutter since, and I have not had one print failure since I took off the display.

Thanks !!

I'm using RepRap Full-Discount LCD Display Controller / Arduino Mega 2560 / Ramps on my Kossel Mini. It works fine. I also had the stuttering problem and "pimples" on curved perimeters at first.
I searched the forums and besides upgrading the electronics, there has to be another way. I found in one (I forgot where, I'm sorry) to reduce the DELTA_SEGMENTS_PER_SECOND. One said he even went as low as 50 to get rid of the "pimples".

The default value of 200 is simply too high for the Arduino. Setting it low will allow time for the processor for other tasks such as display control.

Glad it worked for you too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 05:36AM by boksbox.
March 03, 2015 11:14AM
dougal1957
jmf
bigfilsing
Hi all
Thanks

I believe that the simple Graphics card is ok (Just) I know of several kits that are supplied with it and they all seem to work.

But if you want a really nice Graphics display (Touch screen as well) then you need look no further than the DUET controller with PanelDue display combination by DC42 see and

HTH Doug
Yes ive been looking at that but id like to get the bog standard kossel mini working first. Ive learnt my lesson the hard way about already upgrading while building cool smiley

The one thing i really like with Ramps is the ability to change the stepper drivers . I've just put 3 Trinamic 2100s silent stepper drivers in my prusa air 2 and its like a new printer. Doesn't make any noise at all except for the fans.

I do like the idea of an LCD touch screen though. I only installed a full graphics display controller on my Air2 a couple of month ago and surprised myself how often i use it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2015 11:15AM by bigfilsing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login