Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Loose Bowden Tube

Posted by boksbox 
Loose Bowden Tube
February 26, 2015 10:01PM
I've been having this issue with the bowden tube in my extruder. It's loose and the push-fit grip might go at anytime.

Note the tape stuck to the bowden tube. Retraction and feeding moves the tube in and out.
[www.youtube.com]

This is the second time this happened to me. The first time the push-fit wont grip the tube in the end anymore so I had to buy a new push-fit fitting. This time I put a choke on the push-collar so it won't move. Even with mod, it is happening again. Now I can't even remove the tube even if I push on the collar to release it.

I'm afraid I have to buy a new one and my tubing is getting shorter every time. Anyone solved this problem?
jmf
Re: Loose Bowden Tube
February 27, 2015 12:54AM
I use these from Ebay and they are excellent.

[www.ebay.com]
March 01, 2015 01:44PM
Agree with JMF here. I have some push-fits that have only 3 or 4 clamping "blades" in them that hold the PTFE tubing in place. The blades seem to break easily if the push-fit quality is questionable. Honestly, unless you're getting a good quality push-fit, consider these things consumables. Buy a few extra.

I can't speak to the ones with the Ebay link, but they look like the ones I use that have internal springs (so you don't have to do the choke thing) and have 8-10 little gripping blades in them (rather than the 2-3 on the cheaper brass ones.

Also, PTFE tubing is cheap, good to have extra on hand too.

Dave
jmf
March 01, 2015 08:39PM
triplanedave
Agree with JMF here. I have some push-fits that have only 3 or 4 clamping "blades" in them that hold the PTFE tubing in place. The blades seem to break easily if the push-fit quality is questionable. Honestly, unless you're getting a good quality push-fit, consider these things consumables. Buy a few extra.

I can't speak to the ones with the Ebay link, but they look like the ones I use that have internal springs (so you don't have to do the choke thing) and have 8-10 little gripping blades in them (rather than the 2-3 on the cheaper brass ones.

Also, PTFE tubing is cheap, good to have extra on hand too.

Dave

Yes the ones in the link have a spring in them and you have to really make an effort to get the tube out, these really work well.
March 01, 2015 11:14PM
Thanks guys.

I bought some with about a dozen "blades" inside to bite into the tubing and the collar has some spring action in it.

Hope this one lasts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login