Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3mm vs 1.75mm - Which to use?

Posted by zitman 
3mm vs 1.75mm - Which to use?
January 23, 2015 03:42AM
Hi All,

As said in previous posts I am building a RichRap 3DR, I have printed RichRaps extruder which is 1.75mm but my Prusa i3 is 3mm so I am considering using a 3mm extruder on the 3DR.

I have had a quick look on ThingiVerse for 3mm bowden extruder and was frankly confusedby the number avalable.

So to the questions:

3mm vs 1.75 - Bearing in mind its a bowden setup on a delta printer, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
Any recommendations on a 3mm bowden extruder (With a link please smileys with beer)

Thanks

Z
Re: 3mm vs 1.75mm - Which to use?
January 23, 2015 10:23AM
3mm bowden setup will have higher friction. Simple math shows that the surface area is much greater. 3mm filament is going the way of the dodo bird as well. Its becoming less and less available.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Re: 3mm vs 1.75mm - Which to use?
January 24, 2015 05:15AM
Thanks for that, I was thinking along the same lines with regard to friction because of the bowden setup . My only reason for considering 3 mm was that my I3 is 3 mm so got a few spools of 3mm filament.

Anyone else got any thoughts, I will probably order a1.75 mm E3D V6 hot end on Monday, although they are out of stock of the 1.75 mm for a couple of weeks!

Z
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login