Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tridprintings Traxxas arms

Posted by sungod3k 
Tridprintings Traxxas arms
January 13, 2015 05:30AM
Hey,

Im building a Wolfstock/Cherry PI hybrid and Im sourcing the arms now. Tridprinting offers them with Traxxas joints. http://www.tridprinting.com/Mechanical-Parts/#3D-Printer-Rod-Kit
Has anyone ever bought them or uses similar joints and can give me pros and cons compared to magnets?

Cheers
Re: Tridprintings Traxxas arms
January 13, 2015 07:44PM
Traxxas joints are very popular with deltas. They are simple top user and you only do it once. But it has less usable angle than magnetic joints. You also can have slop and backlash over time due loose ball joints.

Magnetic joints are slop and backlash free, but pop out at high temps and at high speed. They also cost more.
January 13, 2015 07:48PM
I'm using Traxxas joints on carbon fibre rods. I recently changed to them over the Rostock printed joints. I haven't used magnets, however.

That, said I really like the Traxxas joints. Simple to put together, and they only require a single screw to join them to the end effector and carriage (unlike that damn printed ends with three screws per joint...). You will find that some of them will have some backlash (one of the joints I got had something like 0.1mm of backlash, quite a bit). However, a couple of rubber bands around each pair of rods at each end solves this problem (pulls the joints in, eliminates the play). I'm not sure how long people expect the Traxxas ends to hold up. I can see myself replacing them sometime in the future, as they certainly wear (as evidenced by the white lithium grease gradually turning black). If kept clean and lubricated they might last quite a while though.
January 15, 2015 02:06PM
iira
I'm using Traxxas joints on carbon fibre rods. I recently changed to them over the Rostock printed joints. I haven't used magnets, however.

That, said I really like the Traxxas joints. Simple to put together, and they only require a single screw to join them to the end effector and carriage (unlike that damn printed ends with three screws per joint...). You will find that some of them will have some backlash (one of the joints I got had something like 0.1mm of backlash, quite a bit). However, a couple of rubber bands around each pair of rods at each end solves this problem (pulls the joints in, eliminates the play). I'm not sure how long people expect the Traxxas ends to hold up. I can see myself replacing them sometime in the future, as they certainly wear (as evidenced by the white lithium grease gradually turning black). If kept clean and lubricated they might last quite a while though.

I have nearly 300 hours on my traxxas joints. I can say that instead of using rubber bands I use springs zip tied to the middle of the joints. The arms I have are not exactly light weight being being solid aluminum. I am going to go with a much more precise igus joint and carbon fiber rods.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
January 15, 2015 04:29PM
you mean this stuff? [www.igus.eu]" Suitable for rotary, oscillating and linear movements" sounds spot on .
January 16, 2015 03:33PM
Yes the igus premium rod ends is what I am going with. The thing though is that they are expensive compared to traxxas. Many more times expensive. I hope they are worth their weight in gold as they had me taking a double take.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login