Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta printers, update me please

Posted by Phizinza 
Delta printers, update me please
September 07, 2014 04:25AM
Hi, I've been out of the loop for around a year now... My first and only printer was a Prusa mk1, Gen7, Teacup (then Marlin), J-head.

I wanted to build a Delta and the last plans I had were for a Reprap 3DR, RUMBA electronics, possibly convert to 3 head printing down the track. At that time I believe the only firmware that wasn't extremely experimental was Marlin modded to delta.

So what I was wondering, has there been anything better or cheaper, or both, that has arrived on the reprap scene since then? What are the latest designs you're using?

Thanks,
Thomas
Re: Delta printers, update me please
September 07, 2014 05:16PM
Have a look at my a Cherry Pi thread. You probably should google Kossel too.
September 08, 2014 02:32AM
Thank you. Could you give a summary of the advantages to your design?
September 08, 2014 05:11PM
It's, relatively, cheap to build as it uses normal V slot 2020. It incorporates a built in Z probe for auto calibration. The effector is mounted using a ball and socket joint for minimal backlash. The power supply fits neatly under the bed and the wires to the extruder run in one of the V slots and it has an on board filament spool holder. The whole machine is, therefore, neat and tidy and suitable for use in any room in the house. It's also easily transportable as even though it allows a 180 x 180 x 250 build area it's quite compact. It also prints very accurately at 120mm/s.
September 08, 2014 08:54PM
Can a heated platform be added? I print mostly in ABS. Also can Spectra line be used in place of the GT2 belts, just to keep costs down? Thank you
September 09, 2014 05:43PM
I've added a kapton foil heater to the glass bed on a couple of builds but you need a larger psu that won't then fit in the machine. I use an external 12A supply and a 160W heater. If you can find/print suitable spools for the steppers you could use Spectra . The top idler won't need changing as the two bearings sandwiched together will be fine. You would need to alter the rod carriers to facilitate fixing the Spectra as they are designed for belts but that may be as easy as tying the line to an M3 screw and using the existing fitment. Good luck. Pictures please if you build it smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login