Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Fan question

Posted by Replace 
Fan question
August 27, 2014 03:24PM
On the new Rostock Delta mini that I am building, a fan comes with the kit that must be mounted below the platform, blowing at the object for cooling.

On my current printer (Orca v04x) a fan is cooling the input side of the hot end. No fan on the object and I have never missed it.

So.. what is the reason the Rostock has a fan below ? Can I leave it away ?

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Fan question
August 27, 2014 04:56PM
It is just a layer fan for when you print pla. You don't need it, but many add it to reduce stringing and come out with a better part. I currently do not have a layer fan equipped on my rostock, and my prints have been good, but I am planning to print a layer fan shroud later today.
August 27, 2014 05:36PM
Thanks,

I will start without, as I always print PA on my Orca without and I don't know what i miss "-)

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
August 27, 2014 05:57PM
It really depends what you intend to print. I have always found small or pointy parts come out much better with a fan blowing air over them. I've always figured that they are easy to fit and can't hurt. I actually have the opposite problem as I use Cura and keep forgetting to turn the fan off for ABS prints. I spent ages trying to figure out what was causing parts to warp off the bed that had always printed ok before. If nothing else it proved the fan was effective!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login