Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where to mount the extruder on Rostock Mini

Posted by Replace 
Where to mount the extruder on Rostock Mini
August 26, 2014 05:11PM
I am nearly finished building my 3dprinterczar Rostock delta mini pro, but have no clue how both the acrylic build plate, the arduino/ramps ánd the extruder should be fixed to the construction bottom plate.
The build manual stops before that point is reached.

Anyone has found a solution that uses any of the remaining holes in the bottom acrylic plate ?

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Where to mount the extruder on Rostock Mini
August 26, 2014 05:36PM
Is it possible that you don't need to fix those parts?

If I am correct, this youtube channel contains videos of someone
building this printer model, and he also leaves those parts unfixed...

This is the last video, showing the end result: [www.youtube.com]

But then again, what keeps your extruder from walking over your desk...? grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2014 05:40PM by 3D-ES.

RS-Online Ormerod #263, Kossel mini with Minitronics, Prusa i3 MK2
August 27, 2014 12:37AM
Thanks for th slink.

I was afraid the extruder would go 'walking to the filament spool' but that is probably not the case....

Nice turntable that guy :-)

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
August 27, 2014 01:47AM
I was having the same problem , hated having electronics and the walking extruder on the table beside the printer.
I used the Ikea LENNART drawer unit to store all of that in one place and mounted extruder on top of the acrylic build plate. This is the optimal place for the bowden extruder according to this.
Had to lengthen the wires for the extruder, still have to do it properly one day and printed this Kossel mini extruder clamp to attach the motor.

before

after

All about delta 3d printers in one place [www.deltarap.org]
August 27, 2014 02:25AM
Thanks, this helps. however, the drawer won't make it in my little workbench space :-)
Ths extruder clamp is a good solution.
Please let me know which other clamp you use for the kapton covered build plate ?

Also I notice a (click-on ?) construction on one of each rod units, at the bottom... what is that ?

Thomas

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2014 02:27AM by Replace.

August 27, 2014 03:41AM
Replace
Thanks, this helps. however, the drawer won't make it in my little workbench space :-)
Maybe you could use a Rostock-Mini highboy kit to mount RAMPS board under the base of the printer.

Replace
Ths extruder clamp is a good solution.
Please let me know which other clamp you use for the kapton covered build plate ?
I used a Parametric Platform Clip with these settings:

// Parameters
Gap = 10.5;
Thickness = 4;
Reach = 25;
// Internals
Width = Gap + Thickness*2;
Height = Thickness + 10;

It's a temporary solution, explained here.

Replace
Also I notice a (click-on ?) construction on one of each rod units, at the bottom... what is that ?

That's my latest experiment with better lightning so the Octoprint timelapse pictures would look better.
I used 8mm Rod Led Strip Bracket with LED Strip Mount(shortened to 100mm).
It's still too much as the light is still reflecting from the object very much, have to soften the light somehow......

August 27, 2014 09:32AM
Great help, good links.

I can't wait to go home and continue building :-)

September 28, 2014 05:14AM
I realized I didn't give you links to STL files for Parametric Platform Clip, so here it is :

Parametric Platform Clip for Rostock Mini Acrylic Bed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login