Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which grease on the rods ?

Posted by Replace 
Which grease on the rods ?
August 21, 2014 01:14AM
I would like to know what is the best way to grease the rods of my Rostock Delta Mini Pro.

I remember tat my Cartesian Orca sometimes got blocked because the ptfe spray wa not coping with the heat just above the carriage, so I changed to motor oil (10W40) which solved the problems.
In the Rostock however, the bearings are in no way close to the hot end.... so what do you use for lubricaion of hem ?

Thomas

www.3daybreaker.blogspot.com

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
Re: Which grease on the rods ?
August 21, 2014 12:24PM
I am using generic valvoline high temperature synthetic grease. Its designed to pack automotive bearings. It also has a very high burning temp, 400F+. I have a tub of the stuff I keep for automotive applications.

It is working nicely on my bearings. However next time I will be packing the linear bearings before I put them on the printer.

Two negative things about this stuff.

- its hard to apply on the rods, you need some sort of brush or you must use your hands, and this stuff does not wash off easily.
- Its messy stuff, if you touch the rods you will end up staining clothes and or parts of your house, the problem is its not like regular grease, its not so easily whiped.

The positives are these
- high temp
- does not harden
- has molly inside, which makes it very good for metal on metal contact
- so far no perceivable wear on the printer from these. The rods look just as good as the day I bought it, so far the printer has bout ~ hours on it, and 1.5kg of filament fed through it.

I plan on using this stuff on the rod ends as well, not as much for lubrication as for its other property, its supposed to reduce shock loads, which means the bearings will have a bit less slop.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
August 21, 2014 04:08PM
Sounds good
Any brand you can name ?

Orca V4.4 rebuild to Ramps with Mk8 and E3D, as well as a Rostock Delta Mini and an OLO in backorder :-)
August 22, 2014 10:43AM
this is what I am using.

[shop.advanceautoparts.com]

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
August 22, 2014 04:45PM
thnks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login