Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extruder options.

Posted by jaguarking11 
Extruder options.
July 29, 2014 12:52PM
Well I have just recently reprinted airtrippers bowden extruder as the pla version deformed badly. I notice that even the abs part has some flex in it, it flexes a bit when it retracts and pushes, I am afraid it will fatigue and come apart. What is everyone using here? I was thinking of designing my own at this point, however why reinvent the wheel?

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Re: Extruder options.
July 29, 2014 05:59PM
I've always used the Greg's Wade version with herringbone gears that Richrap designed for the 3DR. It just works!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2014 05:59PM by AndyCart.
July 29, 2014 06:49PM
I have an MTW Maxstruder. The metal it is constructed from will stop small caliber arms fire. smiling smiley It isn't cheap, but the design is simple enough where you can probably make a knockoff in your garage with simple hand tools and a few scraps of metal.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:264673

I just printed a Griffin extruder to tinker with, and mounted a geared stepper motor to it. I have not printed with it yet. The only thing that I don't like about the design is not having a quick release lever.....
July 30, 2014 05:54AM
Custom: OpenSCAD source file.

July 30, 2014 07:32AM
This interesting extruder just popped up on Thingiverse yesterday:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:409594

It looks beefy enough where I wouldn't be worried about flex, and it uses a geared stepper motor which IMO is the only way to go.

The design needs mounting ears for attaching to T-slot, and the release lever needs to be extended on the right so that one can get a finger on it to open the lever for filament changes. Good base for a new design, though.....
July 30, 2014 09:54AM
I dug up some old printer gears, It looks like I will be designing my own wades design extruder. It looks to me that any gears I print will become high wear items. Your designs look promising however. I may borrow some ideas.

[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

July 30, 2014 05:36PM
vreihen
This interesting extruder just popped up on Thingiverse yesterday:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:409594

It looks beefy enough where I wouldn't be worried about flex, and it uses a geared stepper motor which IMO is the only way to go.

The design needs mounting ears for attaching to T-slot, and the release lever needs to be extended on the right so that one can get a finger on it to open the lever for filament changes. Good base for a new design, though.....

My Rostock Mini Pro came with a similar extruder design (I think it dates back to the original mini), but I do not like it. PITA to feed filament into and the push-fitting popped out of the printed threads when I had some jamming issues early on. Even recently though, I have started to grind filament when trying to extrude to fast. Plus, you are right about it not having any mounting methods, just sits next to my Rostock.
July 31, 2014 12:53AM
hercek
Custom: OpenSCAD source file.
[attachment 37511 extruder.jpg]

I like this one the best as a design. I think I'm going to copy this one and resize to my gears.

[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

July 31, 2014 05:28AM
I got one complain about it: a missing filament quick release.
But I do no miss it personally. When changing filament I need to heat up hot end anyway and when printer is powerd up I can just use Reverse/Extrude to change the filament. I never needed to release the clamp for a filament change. When a new filament is inserted from the bottom then Extrude will nicely pull it in.
July 31, 2014 10:23AM
hercek
I got one complain about it: a missing filament quick release.
But I do no miss it personally. When changing filament I need to heat up hot end anyway and when printer is powerd up I can just use Reverse/Extrude to change the filament. I never needed to release the clamp for a filament change. When a new filament is inserted from the bottom then Extrude will nicely pull it in.

I definitely like the idea of a quick release, not that I really have a reason to swap filaments...only have the one roll. Though I wonder if heating up my hot end would help with loading filament. Or is it just for removing your filament?
August 03, 2014 08:36AM
Kurzaa
I definitely like the idea of a quick release, not that I really have a reason to swap filaments...only have the one roll. Though I wonder if heating up my hot end would help with loading filament. Or is it just for removing your filament?

You need to heat up hotend when you want to remove the filament you have printed with before and which was left to cool down in hotend.

The only time a quick release would help you is when you want to insert a filament and no filament was in the printer (or better in its hotend) from the previous print sessions. Then you could insert the filament without powering up the printer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login