Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which Firmware (and Version) Do You Use For Your Delta and Why?

Posted by RostockMini4tw 
Which Firmware (and Version) Do You Use For Your Delta and Why?
July 25, 2014 11:24AM
Hello everybody,

I tried find out which firmware I should use for my Rostock Mini printer. Repetier worked fine until 0.83 17-03-2013 even with G29 command to level average z-height. Marlin stock firmware works fine for printing if you use GT2-16 timing pulley but I can't get autolevel to work (also not in jcrocholl fork). I found out that there are far far too many firmware, especially Marlin forks, out there. Thus, I would like to ask everybody with a Delta printer
  • Which exact firmware are you using? Please provide link, version and name exact branch if available
  • Why are you using this particular version?
  • What is working?
  • What is not working?
If possible please attach Configuration.h file.

So here are mine:
  • Which Firmware are you using? ErikZalm/Marlin, Marlin_v1, latest
  • Why are you using this particular version: Printing speed is awesome and the parts come out best
  • What is working: Printing,
  • What is not working: Anything related to automatic bed leveling (G29 moves print head outside of printing area), you should use GT2-16 timing pulley to avoid rounding errors
  • Which Firmware are you using? Repetier, 0.91.7 15-03-2014
  • Why are you using this particular version: My printer came with an older version and upgrade was easy. Printing is ok
  • What is working: Printing and G29 bed leveling by means of average z-height as long as you keep "FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL to false" also you should use GT2-16 timing pulley to avoid rounding errors in latest version.
  • What is not working: Setting FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL to true to adjust bed orientation and level
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration_Repetier.h (52.7 KB)
open | download - Configuration_Marlin.h (33 KB)
open | download - Configuration_adv_Marlin.h (20.3 KB)
nka
Re: Which Firmware (and Version) Do You Use For Your Delta and Why?
July 28, 2014 02:07PM
Interested by this. *Subscribing*

- Sebastien Plante (nka)
July 29, 2014 05:44AM
  • ...Which Firmware are you using? Upgraded Repetier Version 0.83 to 0.91.7
  • ... Why are you using this particular version: My printer came with an older version and upgrade was easy. Printing is great. My carbon rods are not all the same length as they should be and so I adjusted one tower setting for that, this was not possible in older version of the firmware.
  • ... What is working: Printing
  • ...What is not working: I don't have automatic bed leveling or dual head, everything else is working great.

All about delta 3d printers in one place [www.deltarap.org]
July 30, 2014 04:23AM
I think there are really two Marlin forks that you should be concerned about: Johann's original firmware and Rich Cattel's firmware.

There are two versions of the Johann's firmware. There is the original Johann fork that you can find a link to on the rostock reprap page under firmware. But there is a newer version that has improvements and autocalibration. I was able to get the original working, but I could not get the new version to verify in arduino because of some error, so I never got the newest version to work. Rich Cattel's firmware also has autobed leveling and was the first firmware that I got my machine working on. Both firmware a have very long build threads on the delta google group, so they have both been extremely refined as the autobed level and other features were refined. Rich C.'s version can be found on GitHub: [github.com].

I found Rich C.'s easy to use, so it is the one that I recommend. Although it has autobed level, I do not use it as I prefer to manually bed level my machine.

I messed with repetier .91, but stuck with marlin because I had studied marlin longer and felt more familiar with marlin.

With any firmware, it is only a base that you will have to adapt to your machines exact specifications, so whichever firmware you choose become familiar with it. Read through the firmware and understand what each function does. They come with many descriptions inside so they are not as formidable as they originally seem on first blush.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login