Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mini Kossel Z Calibration Issue

Posted by Radair 
Mini Kossel Z Calibration Issue
July 24, 2014 11:35PM
I have been through calibration a few times now and I can't seem to dial in the Z Height on my prints. My calibration print is 20X20X5. The print is printing 20..1X20.1X5.5. I have my steps per mm @100 for all 3. It passes a paper test across the entire bed and if I measure Z movements of 10mm(across the entire bed) they are measuring perfect. I'm really at a loss as to what could be going on. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2014 11:56PM by Radair.
Re: Mini Kossel Z Calibration Issue
July 25, 2014 08:39AM
As a note, I have been through all of the other threads related to this issue. I guess the part I may be missing is. How do you properly calibrate steps per mm on a delta? I figured since @ X0 Y0 Z should be a linear move on all 3 towers that measuring the movement of the effector should be a valid check of steps per mm. If this assumption is incorrect then I am sure that is my root issue.

Thanks again!
July 25, 2014 06:11PM
You can measure Z movement on any of the carriages. Presuming you have the same belts and pulleys on all three they will all move the same amount. Repetier Host has a belt calculator on its top menu. Tell it your belt type, microstep value and pulley size and it will give you the correct value to feed into Marlin
July 25, 2014 08:30PM
@AndyCart

Thanks. The calc actually confirmed the 100. I'll have to keep playing and see if I can figure out what is going on. Really banging my head against the wall on this one.
July 26, 2014 06:15PM
It may be a stupid question but ...

Did you actually count the teeth on your pulleys?
July 28, 2014 12:24PM
Someone mentioned some errors with delta calculations with 20 tooth pulleys on marling firmware. I have the 20 tooth pulleys on my printer, so far no issues. Keep in mind two things however, 1 plastic just like any material expands and contracts with heat, and 2 it could depend on the slicing software. I had ok luck with kisslicer, better luck with cura. Almost no luck with slicer itself. The joys of tuning a printer.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
July 28, 2014 02:07PM
I verier the pulleys and they are proper 16. I think i'm going to start calibration all over again and see if I missed something. I will give cura a try also. I have been using slicer. Thanks for the ideas all!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login