Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Should I build a mini Kossel or a 3DR?

Posted by RDM6 
Should I build a mini Kossel or a 3DR?
July 22, 2014 10:13PM
Hi everyone, I am looking for opinions on whether I should build a mini Kossel or a 3DR. My goal is to have a reliable, easy to use delta printer that is as simple as possible to build, but must have certain features such as an enclosure and a heated bed. I understand this will be a mod to both of these models.
With either model, there are pros and cons. Can you think of any that I have missed? I will be adding a heated bed and E3D hot end regardless of which one I go with. I may eventually try and upgrade to a dual extruder system. I have a Solidoodle 2 modified with a RUMBA and E3D that I can use to make the printed parts for either.

3DR:

Pros:
• It is based on a RUMBA, which I am familiar with.
• Simple carriages. It is just a 6mm bearing mount that gets zip tied to the rod. I see no reason to complicate the carriages with multiple wheels and various configurations that are needed to run on the open rail like the mini Kossel.
• Spectra line looks like a lot less hassle and less prone to backlash than belts, although I have also seen some mini kossels modded to run on spectra line.
• Less open rail to buy than with the mini Kossel because the base is entirely printed.

Cons:
• I have decided I must have an enclosure and the RUMBA board is mounted to the top inside of the printer, which will make it hard to get to and will complicate the enclosure design because I think it would be a bad idea to have the board inside the enclosure, which would get very warm. I would have to find a way to relocate the board, which could make my wiring messier.

Mini Kossel:

Pros:
• I have been told that a mini Kossel is much easier to enclose than a 3DR, can anyone confirm this? I am hoping some has designed a clip that can slide into the rail to mount a basic sheet of plexiglass. Even better if there is a hinge for the front.
• There seems to be a larger community and knowledge base for the 3DR.
• Board is placed under the heated bed instead of in the top of the machine, so less issues with the enclosure. However, This does seem to mean that all wires going into the hot end will have to be run all the way up to the top, and back down to reach the bottom of the build plate. I guess it’s a trade off.

Cons:
• More complicated carriage system required to run on open rail sliders than on smooth rods and bearings.
• Usually based on RAMPS, which I am not familiar with, but could probably be converted to run a RUMBA but I imagine this would be fairly painful for a relative beginner like me.

I appreciate any feedback, thanks.
Re: Should I build a mini Kossel or a 3DR?
July 22, 2014 11:57PM
the 3dr is great only if you get the parts printed perfectly .. If you have any warp or lift on the parts or your printer is not perfectly aligned you will have a mis aligned frame . Were as on the kossel even with mistakes in the print you can adjust the frame. Also for the kossel if you decide to go bigger later you can use the same printed parts again.

IMHO avoid the spectra line if you can .. I do have it running on my 3DR but it was a pain to setup.
July 23, 2014 08:23AM
Thanks. I've got my solidoodle running very well. I printed a single base piece of the 3DR yesterday just to see how it comes out and it was perfect, so I'm confident I can do that fine. As for the spectra line, it may be a pain to set up but belts are also tedious and have to be periodically tightened in my experience. And belts are also more prone to backlash, from what I have read.

I continue to lean towards the 3DR due to my familiarity with the RUMBA board and the easy documentation on this machine. Any more thoughts?

Also to add: I already have a good cartesian printer in my solidoodle and I am only considering a delta printer at this time.
July 23, 2014 09:52AM
I realize you want to use a RUMBA, but does the control board used really matter that much? I was under the impression most of the boards were essentially interchangeable, with just a few tweaks to the firmware...marlin / sprinter / repeiter. So couldn't you also use the RUMBA on the Kossel? Perhaps you could mount the board outside the frame on the 3DR?
July 23, 2014 10:29AM
@rdm6

sure go ahead and build it . You will not regret it. But do use aluminium spools for the spectra lines.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login