Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Extending Print Height, No Modifications.

Posted by C0rpse 
Extending Print Height, No Modifications.
July 20, 2014 12:06AM
I'm calibrating my Kossel for the first time right now... smiling smiley

Anyway, I was thinking you could double the print height of a Delta by switching the orientation of the arms half way through the print. Basically once it reaches its max height, it switches to having the effector arms under the effector. Has anyone ever tried this?
Re: Extending Print Height, No Modifications.
July 20, 2014 09:01AM
Longer extrusions (and more bracing) are probably cheaper in the long run.....
July 20, 2014 02:31PM
That would be some pretty complicated switching. The arms aren't designed to flip up loosely like that. You would need pretty decent force from some motor to do that, adding more weight to the effector which you want to avoid.
July 20, 2014 05:28PM
I can't see how it is possible without disconnecting the arms and re-attaching them.

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
July 21, 2014 06:12AM
Not only that. How about arms colliding with the printed piece. If you would make the platform so wide that this would not be a problem than more space would be wasted by making the printer more wide than one would save by making it shorter.
July 21, 2014 11:56AM
If you watch an unpacking video for the SeeMeeCNC Orion you can see how the build platform can switch orientation without disassembling anything. Bumping into the print is definitely an issue that would need further research, but I think its doable. The build envelope would probably be smaller at the top using the alternate orientation. I think it depends on the length of the hotend. I'll do some experimenting tonight and see what I can come up with.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2014 12:03PM by C0rpse.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login