Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1st Print! and second and third.

Posted by jaguarking11 
1st Print! and second and third.
July 17, 2014 02:36PM
Here is a video of the first print on my printer. The first 10x10x10mm cube. It came out ok, definitely need some tuning but not bad for a DIY printer. Check out my blog for details.

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2014 02:36PM by jaguarking11.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Re: 1st Print! and second and third.
July 18, 2014 12:46PM
here is another print session.

[youtu.be]

[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

July 18, 2014 06:28PM
D.I.Y. printers can print just as good as off the shelf printers, but for your first print on your first printer, that's surprisingly good in my opinion. Congrats! Mine looked a whole lot worse, tilted, bad infill, etc... It took me a bit to get my Rostock to print even that good.

So long as you keep your temps down in the 60c range, your print bed will last a while despite the uneven heat. Crank it up to 100 or 110c and that's when the lifespan of the mirror will drops sharply. You can pick up a temp gun from Harbor Freight for about $20 if you want to check the temps. It can be a handy tool for diagnosing issues, but it's not really necessary. With a heated bed, you should be fine just spraying it with Aqua Net hairspray rather than a slurry, it will stick like glue. Without heat, you could use Elmers Glue sticks. Both clean up with no mess on your part.

On your second video, at 4:04, turn up the sound, you can hear the machine rattling while doing infill. You need to slow it down and/or find the source of the rattle before it beats your machine to death. My guess is your diagonal springs are not strong enough for the speed, you could turn down the acceleration to compensate. Could also hear the sound echoing off the wood (around 3:15), ahh the joys of wood based printers. LOL

Beware your Ramps.
Depending on the type, you can also blow your stepper drivers, not just trip the fuse or blow the fet by running without a fan. The last Ramps I tried changing the blown fet on, the pcb trace going to it was so poorly done, that it ripped right off with the fet despite my best efforts. Thinking it was me, I tugged on the remaining trace and it peeled right up. Some of these boards are so cheap, they can't always be reliably repaired when things go wrong.
July 18, 2014 06:43PM
I ended up putting a fan underneath as I noticed the stepper controllers get warm, its strange but the mosfests stay at room temp with no sinking. I will check them out, they may be oversized from the factory. I still have allot to do and learn on this machine. My jaw dropped to the ground on the first print, the second even more so. I now have the weekend to improve things. As suggested before I think the shafts on the mottors will get ground and some thread locker put in. I just don't trust those pulleys. As for the noise, its not that bad actually, I expected worse. Time to play with it more.

[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login