Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

J-Head Mounts and cooling?

Posted by jaguarking11 
J-Head Mounts and cooling?
July 15, 2014 02:15PM
I am having a bit of a problem with my jhead. I had to make an adapter for the head to put in a bowden compression fitting. However I am using a pla printed holder and the bowden threads into the pla. Well I tried to print with it and the pla became soft and let the fitting go causing the bowden tube to come loose. Fair enough, it looks like I will be making this out of metal.

Now my situation is that I have to remake the mount. (Disk + the compression c clip) however I am undecided if I need a fan on the head or not? I will be printing in abs, temps will be in the 220c-250c range.

Any advice besides throw the head out and buy (insert expensive head here)? I want to use what I have for the moment and once I get better I will be either making my own head or buying one.

thanks guys. If you need pics they are in my build blog.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Re: J-Head Mounts and cooling?
July 17, 2014 01:52AM
Wow. I guess this is a mute thread. I rebuilt the pla parts with aluminium. I will be doing more and more metal swap parts in the future. And no I am not cooling my hot end so far. I have not pushed it over 240c anyway. All metal hot end with pivots coming next I guess.

[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

July 17, 2014 11:44AM
These are the aluminum parts. I figured I would attach to the forum if anyone wants to reference them.

[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0288.jpg (36.2 KB)
open | download - IMG_0286.jpg (30 KB)
July 22, 2014 12:39PM
Very nice. I saw your pics and did somthig similar. I have tried several hot ends and the "J" head is the only one that doesn't melt filament before hot end.

What are the feed rates you are using?
July 23, 2014 11:28AM
I can't recall the feed rates off the top of my head. However I had a resistor failure, the wire broke on the resistor and found my printer this morning moving empty. I should have fastened the wires to the head more securely. Speaking of which I bought some heater cartridges, hopefully they will be here before the week is out. However I worry about those ceramic heaters, they are quite capable of melting things and starting a fire, I had no choice in the matter, I could not find a proper wire wound resistor anywhere that would ship fast enough. Time will tell. I know this, I need to rethink my wire mounting for the thermal sensor, if that breaks as well I will have trouble on my hands. I am replacing the thermal probe just in case as well.

On another note, I do not like mounting a fan to the hot end, and inadvertently ended up warping the pla carriage. I will post some pics of the aluminum skin I made for the carriage which once heated and tightened it straightened the carrier. I do so hate pla close to hot parts. It worries me. Once the printer is running again I will print abs replacement parts for the remaining plastic parts. I plan on building an all aluminum carriage as well, I may either give it a shot making it myself or have a machine shop cut it for me.

I can say this though, last night I saw my printer working better than ever, I had to slow it down a bit however the layers were positively welded together. My ~155mm part I was printing have very little warp in it and it was fairly consistent in thickness. No auto bed leveling here, just plain old manual leveling.

One step back and one step forward it seems.

[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login