Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Whats the latest and greatest Delta platform these days?

Posted by brendanjerwin 
Whats the latest and greatest Delta platform these days?
July 10, 2014 10:32PM
I built a 3DR Simple about 6 months ago and its still going strong, but I think its time to build another.

Whats the latest cool designs these days? (I have the bad habit of falling out of the community after each big project...)

I'm really interested in something that incorporates the FSR-style auto bed tramming/leveling approach.

Any suggestions?
Re: Whats the latest and greatest Delta platform these days?
July 10, 2014 10:37PM
The 3DR is great. Why not add the FSR to it? What are your goals?

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
July 10, 2014 11:02PM
Well, I will probably add FSR to the 3DR Simple. I've got one (too early) failed attempt at it already.

Not really sure about my goals. I want another printer to keep at home since my others have migrated to the office. I want something fast and quiet, like the 3DR Simple.

I was leaning towards a "regular" RichRap 3DR plus the FSR leveling. But that fancy new Cherry Pi looks interesting as well, with the magnetic effector mounts.

so many cool options...

The Cherry Pi looks like it might be more rigid than the mostly-plastic 3DR styles. Does that translate to greater speed?
July 10, 2014 11:54PM
more rigidity=more acceleration

less mechanical advantage(bigger spools/drive pulley)=more speed,less resolution

plastic joinery=less sound

metal frames=possible resonators

most all deltas=faster than you can print

I have to say most deltas are not nearly as rigid as a simple triangular prism made of 1/4" MDF. People love the simple 3 aluminium extrusions frame but we only get away with this lack of rigidity because of the low mass. Of course, this lack of rigidity pays you back with sound reduction. Life is full of compromises.

I can't really speak to which one is the most rigid. I would have to say I would design my own. On the low rigidity but adequate side, check out the frame on LISA Simpson. (Video linked in my signature below.)

Idea: I always thought it would be fun to make an fold down delta. With a magnetic effector you could possible fold everything down into a super compact linear configuration. (I wish I had time for this but I feel that the column delta space is very crowded with many competent designers. I want to push the envelope with the railless printers.)

ConceptFORGE
Wally, GUS Simpson, LISA Simpson, THOR Simpson, Sextupteron, CoreXZ
July 11, 2014 12:53AM
Check out the Griffin. We are in the process of finishing up the Griffin Pro's which can reach unbelievable speeds. If you are willing to wait until July 26 then we will have our kickstarter up and running for the Griffin Pro series.

With the current open source version you can build it for about $500. If you in the St. Louis MO area then we can even show them to you.

[griffinprinter.org]

[www.thingiverse.com]
July 11, 2014 06:08AM
The Cherry Pi III and Griffin seem to be the most active new designs, with the Kossel (both 1515 and 2020 variants) being most popular.

My next printer is a toss-up between a CoreXY or a Delta based on Brad Hopper's HotBot design, since it has a solid 100% metal frame:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/deltabot/xsK_v-7lE9I/qQ5IesHm7F8J

I also thought about doing a folding Delta, but want speed/accuracy over portability right now.....
July 11, 2014 09:56AM
I think the mini kossel is the most active delta at the moment. the 1515 version is ok but not stiff enough if you make it bigger than the stock size. The 2020 variant is very stiff at a reasonable height (600-700ish mm tall). I installed stepper motor dampeners and now the movement on my machine is quiter than the hotend/cooling fans.

Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a 32bit controller like a smoothieboard or an AzteegX5, though. The AVR based controllers are going the way of the dodo bird. I predict in a year or two max 32bit will be king of the hill.

I also think the cartesian bots will be dominated by CoreXY based machines too.

I'm going to be building another delta (a megnetics based MK) or a CoreXY based machine like the tantilot [www.thingiverse.com].

RichRap has a new cartesian design that he will be releasing soon that looks interesting and uses an X-Y movement similar to CoreXY. See his blog at Richrap.blogspot.com.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2014 10:01AM by umdpru.
July 11, 2014 06:28PM
With the GriffinPro we are running the Axteeg X5 mini with FSR for auto calibration and optical end stops. Right now we can push some amazing speeds and still get quality prints.

The nice thing about the Griffin's is that they are salable in design. You can go up to the full 1500mm tall machine to get some huge prints or go with the Mini version which is compact enough to travel just about anywhere. Likewise, the Pro will be the medium sized machine that can handle prints the size of any other comparable sized machine on the market.
July 18, 2014 03:14PM
Sorry, Iceman086. Go to [groups.google.com] and check out the posts there. Not one for Griffin. That's not to say it's not a good printer. I'm just saying that the Mini Kossel is king of the hill right now.
July 18, 2014 07:24PM
umdpru
Sorry, Iceman086. Go to [groups.google.com] and check out the posts there. Not one for Griffin. That's not to say it's not a good printer. I'm just saying that the Mini Kossel is king of the hill right now.

Popular ≠ better.
The op didn't ask for the most popular and popularity doesn't actually make anything better.

The Griffin hasn't been available nearly as long, however, in places where people see both printers running, the Griffin is being built far more than Mini Kossels. And yes, there are posts on Google Groups for the Griffin, I'm in contact with several people on there and other places all over the internet and around the world who are building them.
July 21, 2014 11:59PM
I am so late to the party....I am building the original Rostock and cant imagine anything else.....except...I would like to simplify the original design into 3 castings. (top, bottom and 3 carriages) When building mine I went nuts with all of those captured nuts and crummy printed through holes. I want to make a kit for future delta builders. I can mold and cast the parts for less than what some guys are charging for PLA printed parts on feebay.
July 22, 2014 09:27PM
Sorry, I just don't see a big enough difference in the griffin to be able to call it better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login