Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Auto leveling?

Posted by jaguarking11 
Auto leveling?
June 09, 2014 04:11PM
Well, I was messing around with the Marlin software on my arduino/ramps combo. I am just getting familiar with it. However I noticed the auto leveling feature on the software. It is the latest release from git as of a week or so ago.

Can anyone explain how they implement this? I have seen a servo that comes down and touches the bed solution. As well as a long rod on a mechanical end stop solution. However I can seem to find what pins are used on the ramps 1.4 for either of those, nor can I find any specific build log explaining the process of implementing this.

Regardless of auto leveling, I plan on tunning my printer to as precise a standard I possibly can, auto leveling is not exactly relevant at this stage of my build, however it is one of those things lingering in the back of my mind.

Any links or explanations on proper implementation would be greatly appreciated.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Re: Auto leveling?
June 09, 2014 05:38PM
The code is probably for the original Johann's auto levelling which did not use servo for probe deploy/retract.
[www.youtube.com]
June 09, 2014 06:54PM
jaguarking11
Well, I was messing around with the Marlin software on my arduino/ramps combo. I am just getting familiar with it. However I noticed the auto leveling feature on the software. It is the latest release from git as of a week or so ago.

Can anyone explain how they implement this? I have seen a servo that comes down and touches the bed solution. As well as a long rod on a mechanical end stop solution. However I can seem to find what pins are used on the ramps 1.4 for either of those, nor can I find any specific build log explaining the process of implementing this.

Regardless of auto leveling, I plan on tunning my printer to as precise a standard I possibly can, auto leveling is not exactly relevant at this stage of my build, however it is one of those things lingering in the back of my mind.

Any links or explanations on proper implementation would be greatly appreciated.

The probe switch connects to the Z min endstop terminals on your RAMPS. You need to inhibit X & Y min endstops in Pins.h by giving them a -1 value. Remember that the probe switch logic is normally the reverse of the max endstops I.e when the probe isn't deployed the end stop is triggered. When you deploy the probe it opens the endstop whic
H is then triggered when the probe touches the bed. There are many ways to achieve the probing. The two you mentioned (servo controlled and fixed probe deployed by rubbing against a belt) there are also effector/hotend design that incorporate the switch and use the hotend as the probe, force sensing resistors under the build plate, inductive sensors, etc. I prefer the hotend probe method.
June 10, 2014 10:02AM
Do you have any relevant documentation on this? I would love to take a look.

AndyCart
jaguarking11

The probe switch connects to the Z min endstop terminals on your RAMPS. You need to inhibit X & Y min endstops in Pins.h by giving them a -1 value. Remember that the probe switch logic is normally the reverse of the max endstops I.e when the probe isn't deployed the end stop is triggered. When you deploy the probe it opens the endstop whic
H is then triggered when the probe touches the bed. There are many ways to achieve the probing. The two you mentioned (servo controlled and fixed probe deployed by rubbing against a belt) there are also effector/hotend design that incorporate the switch and use the hotend as the probe, force sensing resistors under the build plate, inductive sensors, etc. I prefer the hotend probe method.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login