Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kosel Roller Carriage for OpenBuilds 2020 V-Slot Extrusion & Rostock Style Printable U-Joint Carriage

Posted by DeltaDroid 
Even though most are moving towards magnetic and other types of joints, I figured some of you may find this useful starting out. For the linear actuator, I just took the original Kossel carriage truck created by Steve Graber, modified by brandonh, and tweaked it to work with OpenBuilds 2020 V-Slot Extrusion and their Mini V Wheels. I made 2 different versions, one with the nut traps on the carriage and the other with the head of the M5 screw on the carriage. I've tested these and they work perfect, nice snug fit with a little tension (don't over-torque!). I also hacked up a Rostock style u-joint carriage that will work with any 20mm x 20mm grid mount carriage truck. There are several versions for spectra line depending how you want to string it up (crossover seems best) and one for GT2 belts.

Use an M3x50mm socket head cap screw for the tensioner, M3x20mm for the mounts and use the original or mini Rostock u-joints, jaws and effector head. You can follow the Rostock Mini BOM (without the LM8UU bearings) and instructions for building the carriage and effector assembly.

Carriage Roller Base for Kossel w/ OpenBuilds 2020 V-Slot Extrusion & Mini V Wheels

Rostock Style Printable U-Joint Carriage For Kossel & Mini Kossel

Credit goes to Steve Graber and Johann Rocholl for the original designs.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but I would love to see a standard for carriage mounting. The 20mm x 20 mm grid would be perfect I think, at least for smaller printers. I originally wanted to make a 1 piece carriage but now I'm seeing all the benefits of having a 2 part assembly. Much easier to test new designs and replace broken parts. Hopefully someone with a voice takes a lead on this so we can all try out eachothers designs without having to redesign our linear actuator every time.

This is my first time posting anything on here, but I've been learning a ton from these forums and I'm very impressed with the community we have here. Everyone is very generous and helpful and I'm one to believe that open platforms & communities like RepRap will change the world for the better. Transparency and openness are keys to a brighter future.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2014 04:46PM by DeltaDroid.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login