Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Server PSU. Delta Printer

Posted by jaguarking11 
Server PSU. Delta Printer
June 06, 2014 10:57AM
Well it seems I have solved the Issue with getting stable ample power for my build.

ATX psu was a great idea at first as it was free, however having to use resistors on the 5V and 3.3V rail was a pain in the behind. Even then the voltage drooped quite a bit. I did not want to deal with this so I thought about possible solutions.

There are 4 solutions.

XBOX-360 PSU, but only 203W. I was not comfortable possibly running the xbox PSU @ 90% duty cycle.

ATX - PSU with even bigger resistors. I did not like this as I am wasting power to heat and more components = less reliable.

12V PSU from e-bay with claimed 30-50AMPS depending on model. Two things about this did not settle with me, I did not know how those PSU's perform under long runs and the noise or ripple in the current. So I view them as a waste of money.

Server PSU - This I like, as they are design and built to run in harsh environments and run for years under constant strain. They are cheap and plentiful, as well. The con is they can be noisy, however with some modding they can be made quiet.

I chose a servers PSU for my build with a massive 50+ Amps available on 12V. Not a bad solution, still wastes power however they are not as bad as one would think, certainly better than large resistor banks. The one I got is the Delta DPS-1300BB, yes 1300W of power. Here is the modification to get it to turn on and run properly. Some more detail in my blog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2014 10:58AM by jaguarking11.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Attachments:
open | download - DPS-1300-Mod.jpg (190.7 KB)
nka
Re: Server PSU. Delta Printer
June 10, 2014 08:54PM
well... you're not "wasting" power with a PSU of 50A@12V. If you draw only 5A, the PSU will give you only 5A and will also pull current less on the AC side.

btw, it's a good thing to have more power than you need. Running at full capacity isnt good at all. I always recommand to be under the 80%, if you're under the 50%, it's even better.

- Sebastien Plante (nka)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login