Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

End Stops backwards

Posted by jaguarking11 
End Stops backwards
May 23, 2014 10:31AM
Looks like I either fried the arduino or the ramps board or both. I bought some pre wired end stops, they have some strange smd leds on them as well that light up when the end stop is wired properly, however the firmware still would not home, which lead me to switch the wiring. Looks like I made a huge mistake. At this point the lcd lights up but no text and the ramps microflashes one of the green leds.

Any help in the matter? Attached are the ends stops.. Mine are red, but the version and circuitry is the same exact one.....

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Attachments:
open | download - makerbot_mechanical_endstop_v1.2.jpg (32.1 KB)
Re: End Stops Backwards
May 23, 2014 12:27PM
I don't know if this helps, but my Z motor has only been moving in one direction since I moved my printer. Last night I discovered a GCode command, M119 I think, that requests the status of the endstops. Realized that regardless of direction, the Z endstop was always high...I suck at crimping appearently.

Then again, since your endstop is on a PCB board, polarity might matter and you shorted something on the endstops.

A suggestion I saw in another thread was to take everything apart, check if the Mega2560 works, add the ramps board and confirm it works, the stepper drivers, etc... until you encounter the problem.
Re: End Stops backwards
May 23, 2014 07:17PM
All isn't lost. RAMPS has a sort of non standard endstop pin config. Holding the board with the power connector at the bottom the endstop pins are top left. The pins are in groups of three. The outside I.e leftmost pins are signal and ground. The rightmost pin in the group is 5V. Sound like you shorted 5v to ground when you reversed the connection. Probably all that's happened is you have fried the 5V regulator on the arduino. They are cheap, readily available and fairly easy to replace with a fine soldering iron and a steady hand. If you remove the chip your board should boot when you plug the USB lead into your PC as the USB supplies the 5V

Andy
May 23, 2014 07:20PM
There was a thread here a few months ago detailing the SainSmart endstops (clone of what you have) and how to wire them. Read it TO THE END, as boards were fried by bad directions in the middle.....
May 24, 2014 01:15AM
Much appreciated. Looks like my end stops were wired correctly, looks like it was my mistake. poor little arduino. Its toast. I ordered a new set of electronics at this point. I don't want to play detective on a 50 dollar kit, however once I'm done, I will be buying another mega and trying to revive this as a spare. Its nice to have a spare ramps and drivers just in case.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login