Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rostock Parts no where to be found.

Posted by jaguarking11 
Rostock Parts no where to be found.
April 28, 2014 01:21PM
I have been looking for someone to sell me the printed parts for a rostock kit. I Bought a set on e-bay and the seller does not answer any messages or respond at all. Its been 7 days so far. So in the spirit of getting things done, I am looking at alternative suppliers. And cannot seem to find anyone who has them in stock.

Ideally I am looking for ABS printed parts. However I can do pla as well. I have seen some ridiculous prices in the 180buck range that makes this whole thing a mess. Anyone is willing to sell the original style parts? Or know of a supplier? I would like to get started on this thing ideally by this coming Saturday.

Any help with tracking a supplier of parts would be greatly appreciated.

-Bruno
Re: Rostock Parts no where to be found.
April 29, 2014 08:43AM
A quick search of emakershop.com shows [www.emakershop.com]

cant say anything about them though, emakershop.com is like e-bay for reprap...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 08:45AM by Dust.
April 29, 2014 10:03AM
Why would you want a Rostock? The design is deprecated and replaced by the Kossel. If you want parts for that, than i can help you. Check out my site if you are interested.

Builda3Dprinter.eu Your one-stop-shop for 3Dprinting and home of the Kossel Delta printers.
April 29, 2014 10:51AM
beside the plastic parts, is there anything you need to source?
And where a you located?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 10:56AM by pangkahang.
April 29, 2014 11:09AM
pangkahang
And where a you located?

I managed to find the rest of the parts. I just bought a rostock pla set from e-bay. The reason I want to go rostock is because I believe its a superior design to kessel for my heated chamber build. The design of the kessel is much more prone to heat propagation than rostock, steel vs alu railing, ball bearings vs plastic wheels. The plastic parts I ordered are only a temporary measure as I will be replicating the parts in mild steel. I plan on running the chamber in the 50-90c range necessitating to watercool only the head of the printer. The only part I am left with is the ends which I am planing on building out of cast iron. Finding two platforms for me to cut and build out of cast iron will be the challenge, for now I will be doing them in MDF and get the printer running, once the printer is performing as it should I will be replacing the wood with cast iron or steel plate. I may convert from belt to chain as well.

I also believe I can make rostock design much less prone to warping than initially intended as the steel railing needs to be put on a stretch vs compression as in current design.

If I am barking up the wrong tree with all of this it will be a matter of buying extruded alu and some plastic parts and moving the other parts in. My plan is to learn more about delta style printers, simply put I want to expand my knowledge and this seems like a good hobby for someone like me.
April 29, 2014 11:15AM
pangkahang
And where a you located?
Well any printer you build will need other parts. Almost everything you need can be found in my shop. I'm located in the Netherlands but ship worldwide. Check [www.builda3dprinter.eu] for all the information you need.

Builda3Dprinter.eu Your one-stop-shop for 3Dprinting and home of the Kossel Delta printers.
April 29, 2014 11:42AM
why you place the printer on chamber?for this temperature 50-90C,i believed it will gives a trouble to your electronics,motor and belt too.It is the same for the setting of slicing software for temperature setting...etc.
April 29, 2014 12:16PM
Agreed. I understand the ambition and can only say wow! But I think that you will create more problems than solve any. Delta's are great for speed and high acceleration. By going all metal you loose all those qualities. And chains instead of belts? Shivers down my spine. Chains are way more clunky, heavy and are very bad for tight corners which you need (2 180 degree turns above and below). Ambitious? Yes. Cool? Most definitely! Practical and useful? I doubt it.

April 29, 2014 01:21PM
Vinculum
Agreed. I understand the ambition and can only say wow! But I think that you will create more problems than solve any. Delta's are great for speed and high acceleration. By going all metal you loose all those qualities. And chains instead of belts? Shivers down my spine. Chains are way more clunky, heavy and are very bad for tight corners which you need (2 180 degree turns above and below). Ambitious? Yes. Cool? Most definitely! Practical and useful? I doubt it.

I Honestly don't think the metal parts im going to be building are going to weigh much more than the plastic parts, I will verify the weight of individual assemblies when I get to that bridge in the road. There are some optimizations to be made on the design sure. As for chains, I am unsure at this moment in time. I like the timing belts, however I do not know how they will react to heat, as a last resort I may switch to chains. I think the main issue with any delta printer is the fact that the frame is not under tension.

As it stands now this is the plan.

1 - Assemble a working rostock printer with very minor changes with the biggest change to the printer being the rods under stretch instead of compress.
2 - Redesign and build the parts in mild steel.
3 - Replace the MDF with cast iron or plate steel, preferring cast iron as its easier to machine by hand.
4 - design a heater build chamber and build it.
5 - accumulate all the gained knowledge and share with the forum.

End result in theory will be a very heavy printer that has a high torsional stability with minimal wear and tear parts with a mid-range investment in materials and a high investment of time. Time will tell, however I can say that if successful it should be fairly stout. One of the biggest problems with high print speed as of now especially with abs is thermal stability of the parts leading to high failure rates. In the future I also have some ideas to migrate this kind of platform to print metal parts.
May 03, 2014 07:34PM
You seem pretty sure it'll all work out....if you are using any other experience as a basis for your optimism you are going to get a rude awakening. Please do blog your progress, you have ideas that will be interesting to see the results of. We should all be able to learn something.
May 05, 2014 11:24AM
jaydmdigital
You seem pretty sure it'll all work out....if you are using any other experience as a basis for your optimism you are going to get a rude awakening. Please do blog your progress, you have ideas that will be interesting to see the results of. We should all be able to learn something.

Honestly, I am thinking out loud at this point. I am sure some ideas will work, others wont. As of now I picked up some wood, wanted to start working on this thing this past weekend, and nothing due to other responsibilities. I was thinking of starting a blog as well documenting the build process.
May 07, 2014 07:23PM
I had a Rostock, it worked well, but I think you may be missguided on it's benefits.
Like others, I moved away from it for a reason.

At any rate,
I fail to see the point of building a delta the way you are envisioning. Deltas are harder to enclose, and with the changes you plan on making, a delta is completely out of it's element. Deltas are meant for light weight, high speed, precise operation, and you plan on changing the light weight parts for heavy ones. A cartesian is a far better choice here as they use heft and mass to create stability, which allows speed and precision. You're coming at this from the wrong direction. Can it work, yes, it is a good idea, probably not. Even if what you want to do works, your printer is going to be pathetically slow.

Also, electronics, as mentioned, you need your electronics outside the chamber. You also want your motors outside. You will also want better bearings on your idler and make sure you have some high temp grease in your linear rail bearings or use Igus bearings. There's no avoiding some sort of bearing or bushings in the chamber, cartesian, Rostock or Kossel.

You say it will be minimal wear, I beg to differ. the weight you are adding is going to create a LOT of wear and tear, especially if you use 8mm rails. They are barely sufficient for a stock Rostock, some have said they can bend 1mm under use with plastic parts. Then you have the added heat, and chains... Chains wear and case wear far worse than belts. Belts fail usually becvause of stress and environment, chains, physically wear from friction. They also are not good at switching direction, they prefer to go one direction, and ideally maintain a consistent rpm. Switching directions, starting and stopping will beat the living hell out of your cogs and create a ton of wear. Ask bicycle riders about chain and sprocket wear. It only gets wors when you use smaller and smaller cogs.

You will also need an actual frame.
The vertical frame of the Rostock is the linear rails and they are insufficient even in stock form. The wood only offered minor stability, it wasn't really a structural component, and as such, the frame lost calibration almost any time it was bumped. This is why the 3DR uses an extrusion in between the rails.

Another problem is you said the rods will be under stretch and not push. The rods already push and pull, they work in unison. If you want it be a strictly pull system, you will need to rework the entire design. It's been done, but used a much more complex system and looked and worked nothing like a Rostock. I wish I could remember the name, but it was on the Google Deltabot forum months ago.

Lastly,
Don't run your chamber to run at 90c. ABS is still soft at that point, especially if it's still cooling from when you laid it down. It will sag. You would want a heated bed at 90-110c, and your chamber at say 70 or 80c temp for ABS, and a similar setup with PLA, 60c bed, and say a 45c chamber. Something like that. You want it to stay warm enough to not shrink, but cool enough that it coold enough to not sag.
May 08, 2014 11:57AM
Well, this is a project for me. If I end up failing, it is still fine as I will have gained experience on the way. It is quite possible that this will fail for the reasons you mentioned, however there is a possibility of overcoming those limitations. Using metal parts will not necessarily add weight to the moving mass.

I am in the process of building a rostock at this point. When I finally get it running as intended I will start changing the variables of it and document those. I need to pick up a precision scale on my journey through this so I can have some tangible numbers.
May 08, 2014 04:52PM
Your chance of faillure if you are determined are slim, it's just a matter of how good the end result is, you would be surprised at how little mass it takes to effect the top speed of a delta.

I don't mean to be a downer, and I'm not trying to see you fail, I hope it works.
Regardless, post pics, it should be interesting to see.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2014 05:01PM by sheepdog43.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login