Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Heated Build Chamber for Kossel

Posted by 3DRapidClone 
Heated Build Chamber for Kossel
April 25, 2014 01:12AM
I am considering experimenting with a heated build chamber for the Kossel using a heat bed installed upside down from the top of the frame and enclosed by acrylic. I'm hoping this will allow for FSR as well has very tall prints. The bottom base would be covered by acrylic and/or cork to separate the electronics and motors from the heat, with the exception for the belt hole. I figure raising bottom to install fans to help with cooling the electronics as well. Plausible? Or is the temp of PLA parts in the machine going to render this idea useless? Thoughts, opinions, criticisms?
Re: Heated Build Chamber for Kossel
April 25, 2014 02:06PM
It is possible, but a lot more work than you might think. The PLA parts would have to be exchanged for ABS or another plastic that is less vulnarable in higher temperatures. For heating you would probably need an air warmer like a space heater of possibly a big hair dryer. You would need additional electronics to control the heat. All the electronics outside the heated build chamber are fine, but everything inside or very close to it (like the stepping motors) will need additional cooling. This is often done by water cooling. For this you can use the equipment used to water cool gaming PC's.

So possible yes, but not easy or cheap.
April 26, 2014 07:58PM
I figured that I would need to replace the PLA plastic parts for ABS. I'll experiment with just a HBP and an enclosure to see if a fully heated chamber will be worth it.
May 12, 2014 11:40AM
Even abs would not be a good material to use in a heated build chamber. It will deform or become brittle. Look into light metal fab for the parts and high temp grease. If designed properly you can use 3mm alu plate to fab the parts.
May 15, 2014 10:11AM
I'm totally new to this but what I thought was that the heat from the heated bed is mostly important to avoid warping for the first layers, and not so important for the top layers. Also the heat might stay almost constant moving up, because heat rises and the new layers are hot to start with. Otherwise maybe install an infrared light on the extruder base? Just some thoughts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login