Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rostock Printer build

Posted by jaguarking11 
Rostock Printer build
April 18, 2014 10:49AM
I am looking at building a rostock Style printer. However I keep searching and cannot find a definitive answer to the burning question of what are the actual dimensions of the body of the printer. I keep finding drawings but no dimensions are present or at least the geometry for them. This would be my first 3d printer and have decided to take the hard path and build it from scratch and really learn about the mechanical aspects of this. please go easy on me as for all intensive purposes I am a complete newbie.

Another question I have is I keep seeing these ramps 1.4 boards for sale on e-bay from chinese manufacturers that include the arduino and stepper drivers and a whole slew of different parts ranging from heated beds to end-stops. Are they any good? here is a one of them... LINK Seems like a good price...

3rd questions is I am looking at using nema17 steppers. Are they sufficient? I keep seeing a pretty wild difference in price for these. Some as low as 50bux for 5 of them and some as high as 50bux per motor. I'm not going to post another link as they are from the same source as above.

A bit of guidance for this newbie would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Rostock Printer build
April 19, 2014 03:40AM
I also interested in reviews of Chinese sets, there are some absolutely fantastic prices from sellers with high ratings! For example here ! Who can say something about them?

jaguarking11, this will help.
April 19, 2014 01:48PM
I used that exact set for my Cherry Pi II build. Works great.

It was with me a week after I ordered it (i'm in the UK). I will definitely use them again.

Andy
April 20, 2014 11:29PM
pamalofeev
I also interested in reviews of Chinese sets, there are some absolutely fantastic prices from sellers with high ratings! For example here ! Who can say something about them?

jaguarking11, this will help.

That is certainly a good price for those parts. Any similar sources for the motors? Or any relevant parts?
April 22, 2014 08:18AM
Andy did you get stung for any customs payment??
April 22, 2014 05:47PM
UncleShark
Andy did you get stung for any customs payment??

No. The package was marked as 'gift' by the shippers. I also got 5 steppers for a good price
[www.aliexpress.com] I've just ordered a second set!

Andy
April 29, 2014 11:13AM
I believe the first image is the standard design of the Rostock printer. I did my research last month and I have finished building my Delta printer, now I am fine tuning my configurations.
My design uses:
Ramps 1.4
Arduino Mega 2560
Nema 17 steppers (6 pins but I only use 4 pins)
Reprap Discount Full Graphics Smart Controller (SD card slot not working on Marlin yet, but I love the screen)

Now I designed my layout a little different, but that's the best part about building, as long as you keep the basic angles.
I would suggest using Styrofoam to design your printer before making your first cut on your real material of choice.
Attachments:
open | download - Rostock-3D-printer-The-Plywood-plate-and-top-dimensions.jpg (31.5 KB)
open | download - Dryfit (2).JPG (214.8 KB)
open | download - RoughDraft (1).JPG (168 KB)
April 29, 2014 11:22AM
DreamKnights
I believe the first image is the standard design of the Rostock printer. I did my research last month and I have finished building my Delta printer, now I am fine tuning my configurations.
My design uses:
Ramps 1.4
Arduino Mega 2560
Nema 17 steppers (6 pins but I only use 4 pins)
Reprap Discount Full Graphics Smart Controller (SD card slot not working on Marlin yet, but I love the screen)

Now I designed my layout a little different, but that's the best part about building, as long as you keep the basic angles.
I would suggest using Styrofoam to design your printer before making your first cut on your real material of choice.

Thank you very much. I love the suggestion of using Styrofoam first. I will be doing that soon. I am curious what is the height of yours from end stop to where the build plate lives. I bought 920mm rods for mine.
April 29, 2014 05:03PM
jaguarking11

Thank you very much. I love the suggestion of using Styrofoam first. I will be doing that soon. I am curious what is the height of yours from end stop to where the build plate lives. I bought 920mm rods for mine.

My rods are 800mm. It really doesn't matter how tall your printer is. You don't even have to use the entire length of the Rods. At the top of mine, my rods stick out because my length is based of the height of my shortest rod.
The most important part of the design is the 120 degree angles. each set of rods must be 120 degrees, on center, from the next set forming a perfect triangle. And equal distance. DO NOT RUSH THIS PART!!!
My design is wider than the original but still follows that rule.
When I designed my Delta, I designed it so that the rods run through each platform for more stability. I will never have to worry about mine ever rocking.
Attachments:
open | download - BaseBluePrint (2).JPG (175.8 KB)
open | download - IMG_4355.JPG (186 KB)
open | download - IMG_4363.JPG (198.5 KB)
April 29, 2014 05:17PM
Ah, that makes sense there. I am trying to build a platform that is stable enough to stand on, without the smooth rods attached. Torsional strength is where I personally think most of these printers lack. IMHO the smooth rod should only be a carrier and not a support structure, I realize this is going against the design goal to have as few parts as possible, however I think its a necessary evil.

Also on a related note, it looks like I may pick up some 14inch cast iron pizza pans. They look like they are up to the job, however i need to measure them first. Bed Bath has them on sale this week if im not mistaken. I have to take a trip to the store for a couple of them.

Also what length rods are you using for you enlarged build surface? Any calculation you can share?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 05:19PM by jaguarking11.
April 29, 2014 05:53PM
jaguarking11

IMHO the smooth rod should only be a carrier and not a support structure, I realize this is going against the design goal to have as few parts as possible, however I think its a necessary evil.

Also what length rods are you using for you enlarged build surface? Any calculation you can share?

I use half inch MDF for all 3 levels of my printer. How ever you choose to design your Delta is up to you. I would love to see how yours looks after you finish....

By rods do you mean Diagonal Rods? If so I am currently using the original 250mm length rods. Once I get my printing the way I want it I will reprint some new diagonal rod joints so that I can attach longer rods. I saw a post of a guy giving some supposed to be helpful advise on D-rod lengths that were not so helpful. A 10 line math equation that had symbols above my math knowledge. Huh?

Basics calculation: To determine your Diagonal Rod length of a custom sized Rostock Delta, you want a 30 degree angle of the D-rods from the smooth rods while the effector is centered. See photo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2014 06:04PM by DreamKnights.
Attachments:
open | download - protractor_20140429_162644-1-1[1].png (431.8 KB)
May 01, 2014 01:29PM
I Started receiving my parts. Got the rod and the arduino/ramps1.4/polulu driver & lcd screen. Should be getting the plastic parts either today or tomorrow. Hopefully I get my bearings as well.

Now I have to order the end-stops. ANy recomandations?

I was looking at these so far.
[www.aliexpress.com]

[www.aliexpress.com]

Any recomandations? I was thinking of using the mechanical ones with the metal part removed.

I need to place a new order of parts so they can get here in the next two weeks.
May 01, 2014 08:25PM
I have the Mechanical ones in the second link. Either is good for the job, they just wire up differently and configuring is different.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2014 08:26PM by DreamKnights.
May 02, 2014 01:30PM
Ended up buying the mechanical ones, Simply because they come with wires, cutting down on the soldering. Speaking of which I need to source some connectors for my motors. Probably scrounge up some or look at radio shack as I don't plan on waiting two weeks for connectors.
May 03, 2014 05:05PM
You can use the same cable and connectors that a PC uses.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login