Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cutting custom Graphite Strong Wall Tube Rods from Tridprinting

Posted by 3DRapidClone 
Cutting custom Graphite Strong Wall Tube Rods from Tridprinting
April 02, 2014 09:00PM
Hey guys, I realized only recently that the Kossel calculator was only meant for the Legacy after searching through this group. I ended up finding Jay's visual Kossel Mini calculator and had to do some readjustments. I had planned on purchasing 288mm rods from Tridprinting.com, but I'm going to need about 351mm rods center to center which means custom cuts, what's the recommended way to cut the tubes? Dremel? Hacksaw? I figured I would just follow Blomker's instructional on rod assembly afterwards. Thanks.
Re: Cutting custom Graphite Strong Wall Tube Rods from Tridprinting
April 06, 2014 06:18PM
I would imagine that a Dremel with a fiberglass cutoff wheel would be the best option. The high speed should keep the cut relatively clean and precise. Just cut slowly and be careful. You could try cutting a test piece, but I think it should work fine.

-Localvsc
April 06, 2014 06:39PM
I suspect carbon fibers would be very bad for you lungs, so I'd cut with a vacuum nozzle close by.
April 06, 2014 09:39PM
I have cut unidirectional carbon fiber sandwich core panels with a pneumatic cutting/grinding wheel without any fanfare. You might want to wrap them in tape and then cut through the tape to prevent fraying and shards.....
April 07, 2014 12:29AM
Seal the ends with with glue when finished, not just inside where your set screws go.
April 08, 2014 02:00PM
I took mine to the local sporting goods store and had them cut them done and install threaded inserts in each end. (archery shop)
April 08, 2014 05:39PM
How much did it cost Cecil4u?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login