Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Full Graphic Smart Controller Issue

Posted by AndyCart 
Full Graphic Smart Controller Issue
April 01, 2014 01:12AM
I think I may have a faulty unit but on the off chance it's a firmware issue ...

I have a RRD FGSC connected to my RAMPS 1.4. The Mega 2560, RAMPS, LCD and A4988 drivers came as a set from China. Everything works great except the LCD. It doesn't respond properly to the rotary encoder or the stop button. The bleeper doesn't bleep either. But it's a little more complicated. I know the encoder rotary switch and press to select actually work because on initial boot up I can turn the encoder and the speed % increase on the display. The display is fine btw and the SD card reader appears to work as it detects insert and removal and I can see the list of files on the card in Repetier Host. So the encoder is working. If I press the select down on the info screen I get to the first menu so I know the press to select works as well. This is where it gets strange as once in the menu the encoder appears not to work I.e the cursor doesn't move up and down when I turn it. Pressing the shaft down takes me back to the info screen and it works again. So in summary. The encoder and press to select work on the info screen but the encoder stops working on the first menu. Stop button doesn't work anywhere. Bleeper doesn't bleep. I've uploaded the latest (v1.5) UG8GLIB.

Any ideas or is it toast?

Andy
Re: Full Graphic Smart Controller Issue
April 01, 2014 07:18AM
Repetier firmware has a rotary encoder speed setting, which I believe is there for software button de-bouncing. I think that I remember you posting that you switched to Marlin recently, and I don't know if it has an equivalent setting option. If you want to rule out the firmware, you could use the Repetier firmware web configuration program to slap together a quick firmware just to test the display hardware and encoder. Try all three rotary encoder speed settings to see if any of them fix the problem.....
April 01, 2014 06:12PM
Good idea. I will give that a try. Thank you.

Andy
April 02, 2014 06:36PM
Well I got it working! Don't know what was wrong. Copying the original pins.h from my Marlin backup fixed it. The original was quite heavily modified. The weird thing is I had the same issues when I tried Repetier. Anyway all working now.

Andy
June 16, 2014 06:29PM
Hi,
I spent a lot of hours trying to use ramps 1.4 with Full Graphic Smart Controller : motors stalled in incomprehensive manner, erratic rotations vibrations etc.
Modifying parameters didn't change anything.
Then I tried without the graphic controller and miracle, all works fine.
Am I alone to meet that problem ? ( Marlin 1.03)
June 17, 2014 06:58AM
chamarejc
Then I tried without the graphic controller and miracle, all works fine.
Am I alone to meet that problem ? ( Marlin 1.03)

There have been at least a dozen posts here in the past 60 days warning people that the 16Mhz Arduino boards and a Full Graphics LCD max out the processor and memory when also doing Delta math. Repetier firmware's GLCD support is a bit more optimized, but still has stuttering problems at higher speeds. If you do not want to buy a 32-bit board, you can run your printer slower, remove the GLCD drivers, cut your steppers down to 1/8 micro-stepping, or reduce your number of segments as documented in many of the other threads on this topic.....
June 18, 2014 02:17AM
On one of my machines I went from Marlin to Repetier and reduced the micro stepping from 1/32 to 1/16 on the DRV8825 drivers. The machine was fine with the full graphics lcd after that. I printed at speeds of upto 100mm/s for infill and 60mm/s for perimeters with no issues. My delta segments per second was set at 120 with no noticeable effect on quality. I was using Rumba which is Mega 2560 based. Prior to the changes the head 'stuttered' and hesitated especially on smaller circles which left blobs on the print

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 02:21AM by AndyCart.
July 12, 2015 03:50AM
The full graphic LCD controller's rotary encoder center click is working but if I rotate the menu option is not going up or down.This might be issue with the hardware or firmware? uploaded Repetier
July 29, 2015 08:37AM
xxkrishxx
The full graphic LCD controller's rotary encoder center click is working but if I rotate the menu option is not going up or down.This might be issue with the hardware or firmware? uploaded Repetier

I have the same issue as you. But using Marlin and Rumba board. Center click works but rotation does not at all. Can't seem to find a solution for it. Did you solve it?
December 07, 2016 05:09AM
xxkrishxx

Hi Aeonster, hi xxkrishxx ,

Did you got any solution to this issue??

Regards,
Prashant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login