Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

a new extruder motor setup design to try out.

Posted by jamesdanielv 
a new extruder motor setup design to try out.
February 27, 2014 08:59AM
[reprap.org]

also on thingiverse,

[www.thingiverse.com]

but it seems makerbot has made it not list in search results, it can only be found by direct link, or looking in extruder section.

this design provides 4 times the grip force.
Re: a new extruder motor setup design to try out.
February 27, 2014 10:42AM
Hi,

i am new to this scene so i am not quite sure, but this is for a bowden extruder or ?
February 27, 2014 09:02PM
yes it is for a seemecnc bowden extruder. it uses the parts from seemecnc, from ezstruder, just pull off of ezstruder, and place onto gripstruder.
March 26, 2014 01:36PM
If I want to try out and dont have a seemecnc, what are the parts needed ? (beside the double 608 bearings and what looks to be a MK8 filament gear)

also, its a direct drive extruder, what makes it grip 4x more than others ? that part got my attention... i'm having trouble pushing my filament trough the bowden tube. ;-)
March 27, 2014 07:14AM
They are saying that each 608 bearing has twice the surface contact of smaller bearing due to larger diameter, and then there are two of them for a total of 4 times.

Now, that would be a correct statement except thhat these are idling contacts, they do not drive the filament.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
March 27, 2014 10:35AM
I believe Thingiverse's search is based on tags, so to make your thing show up in search, you'll need to add some tags.
March 27, 2014 05:51PM
It looks like those bearings are pressed against and therefore driven by the toothed drive roller. So that would likely make quite a difference.
March 28, 2014 01:01AM
Yes, it is less likely to squish the filament (to some extent), however, while you may get higher pressure on the hobb and therefore more grip, like Hazer said, adding surface to an idler does not itself multiply grip.

I have another issue with designs like this though, and that is that you are wedging the filament between the two bearings. This pushes them out, and this can cause friction. If your bolt is too loose, the filament can actually be squished in between the bearings and break the bearing block itself, flatten your filament, or just plain jam the entire system. Under optimal conditions, it will work just fine, but under the wrong conditions it will self destruct.

I'm not saying the idea isn't sound, you are increasing the surface area on the idler, which is good, just that this may not be the best way to achieve it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 01:01AM by sheepdog43.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login