Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Building a 3DR "Simple"

Posted by brendanjerwin 
Building a 3DR "Simple"
January 11, 2014 04:12PM
I've ordered a bunch of the parts and have just started the first of many 8 hour prints! This is going to be GLORIOUS!

I recently bought and built a Printrbot Simple for fun at my office, but I think it'll be much nicer as a delta bot.
Re: Building a 3DR "Simple"
January 12, 2014 10:51AM
Since I have a v2 Printrbot Simple, I decided to use the Airtripper Bowden Extruder instead of the Wades design specified:

[www.thingiverse.com]

It looks like it will work better with the direct-drive hardware the v2 PB Simple comes with.
January 12, 2014 11:08AM
I'll use this spool holder, mounted near the bottom of one of the extrusions: [www.thingiverse.com]

I'm a little worried it'll pull the printer over with the weight. Can anyone with one of these built comment on the stability of the printer?
January 12, 2014 01:12PM
You mean like this:

Yes, it works and there are no balance problems. I have been thinking about designing a new one that orients the spool so it's facing the extruder, so I'll put that higher on my to-do list.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 01:13PM by JohnSL.
Attachments:
open | download - P1121843_Cropped.jpg (105.8 KB)
January 12, 2014 01:16PM
There are a couple of reasons I went with RichRap's geared extruder. First, I was concerned that the direct-drive extruder wouldn't have enough force to push the filament through the Bowden tube. And second, I already had a hobbed bolt from my Printrbot Simple V1 (they switched to direct drive in V2). Let me know if the direct drive works, as I took it on faith that it would have problems rather than testing it myself.
January 12, 2014 04:59PM
I've started an album of build pics: [plus.google.com]

I'm rubberizing the bottom of the bottom end-caps with aerosol Plasti-dip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 09:14PM by brendanjerwin.
January 12, 2014 05:01PM
I'm planning on using a couple of Airtripper's "pipe.stl" tube guides and some PTFE tubing to guide the filament from the spool to the extruder. That should give me some flexibility in my spool placement.
January 13, 2014 03:37PM
I designed a plastic spool holder for the 3DR Simple. It works great in conjunction with:[www.thingiverse.com].
Just place it in the upper frame.
Attachments:
open | download - GOYO 3DR SIMPLE SPOOL HOLDER.stl (50.4 KB)
January 13, 2014 06:41PM
Today I've got the top pieces and the spools printed.

I don't have the red filament I want to use for all the mechanical pieces yet, so I'm stalled until that arrives. sad smiley

(Hmmmm. Maybe I can do all the extruder and filament management in blue... That might look cool, and it'd let me keep printing!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2014 06:51PM by brendanjerwin.
January 13, 2014 06:43PM
Funkymonk,

Does it straddle the top inside the triangle? The end result being filament management similar to the original 3DR?
January 14, 2014 07:33AM
brendanjerwin
Funkymonk,

Does it straddle the top inside the triangle? The end result being filament management similar to the original 3DR?

Yes, it fits inside the inner triangle, resulting as the original 3DR system.

January 14, 2014 08:41PM
I received a few packages today!

Got my rod joints and the carbon fiber tubes so I've started contemplating my assembly technique...

I also received an OpenBeam kit, so I think I'll use it to fashion a jig for the rods using this: [www.thingiverse.com]

Anyone have any advice on cutting the carbon fiber tubes?
January 14, 2014 09:33PM
RE: Cutting Carbon Fiber - This was educational: [www.easycomposites.co.uk]
January 14, 2014 11:44PM
Oh yeah, I got my filament management parts printed.

Plus, here is the jig for building the rods:

January 15, 2014 09:55AM
Why not just use the rod jig JohnSL made for his 3DR simple? Mounts right to the printer.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
January 15, 2014 01:35PM
Don't have those extrusions yet.
January 16, 2014 01:04AM
Here is a photo of the jig I used to set the length of my rods:

And here is the link to the parts (printed in green and mounted to the extrusion on the left side):

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:166605
January 16, 2014 01:05AM
Funkymonk,

That's a cool spool mount you've made. I'm going to have to try it out.

-- John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2014 01:08AM by JohnSL.
January 16, 2014 06:54PM
JohnL,

I'm working on the hot-end now, what the heck is the purpose of the Hot End Plate?
January 16, 2014 07:49PM
JohnSL,

I figured it out I think. Its a three part sandwich.
January 16, 2014 07:52PM
Got the "spider" built. Here is the obligatory picture. smiling smiley

Printing the hot-end components now. Not much left to go!

The extrusions and ground rods should ship tomorrow.

BTW, I'm seeing a lot of folks are down on printed spools. How bad am I gonna hate them? Should I go ahead and order the machined ones?
January 18, 2014 10:25AM
Looks like I'll get the last of the major components on Tuesday!

I just printed the spiral (my wife calls them paisleys) bed clamps and installed them.

I really like them and, since my base came together really nicely, I think them might work for me. I'm really hoping that M666 will work for me and I plan to eventually get the auto bed tramming feature working anyway.

Speaking of which, JohnSL, what do you think of integrating this into the hot-end holder plate part? I suspect it might be able to fit there... Maybe an additional through-hole on the other parts to fit the probe.

I'm going to print the part and do some eye-balling and hacking to see how it might fit.
January 22, 2014 09:15AM
A quick update:

I received the ground rods and extrusions finally!

The main structure of the printer is in place now:

I've also got one of the steppers installed. It was a _tight_ fit fishing those wires through the extrusion, but once its done it sure is neat and tidy.

One thing to note: the steppers on the Printrbot Simple v2 all have nice long wires. They will only need a little bit of extension.

I'm going to not use the stubby stepper from the Printrbot. I have an extra regular size NEMA 17 that I'll use for the extruder. That way all three axis' have matched motors.

Very close now...
January 23, 2014 06:56PM
I got it moving!

Here is my firmware for folks that are interested: My Fork

Also, here is a video of it working: Video Post

The motion isn't quite right yet. I took the measurements from JohnSL's original post on configuring firmware but I suspect things are not quite the same with the latest design... JohnSL, is that true?
January 23, 2014 10:17PM
Congrats, curious to see how well it prints and what it sound like while printing. Can you do a video sans music? At what speed are you homing, seems a bit too fast IMO.
January 23, 2014 11:16PM
So i went back and re-read the post on configuring firmware for the first edition of the 3DR Simple and I'm pretty sure the dimensions have changed on this rendition. So, that means that, although I can get it to move at all, it's not moving correctly.

I'll have to wait or find a way to get the right measurements... Anybody out there able to help with that?

jaydmdigital, I've added a couple of 'raw' videos to the g-plus album: Here
January 24, 2014 12:42PM
Got the dimensions with the e-drawing app:

Punched in those numbers and now I'm going through the M666 dance...
January 24, 2014 01:44PM
I would still recommend you half your homing speed (looks like 200*60 and 100*60 is more appropriate). You have Y labels on the tower in the rear. Can you confirm if you have your delta as such:

(rear)
        Z

X                Y
     (front)

brendanjerwin
jaydmdigital, I've added a couple of 'raw' videos to the g-plus album: Here

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2014 01:45PM by jaydmdigital.
January 24, 2014 08:56PM
Hmmm. Mine is Z X Y clockwise.

Probably wrong, huh?
January 24, 2014 10:03PM
Yeah it should be ZYX clockwise, specifically oriented like the diagram above.

brendanjerwin
Hmmm. Mine is Z X Y clockwise.

Probably wrong, huh?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login