Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BOB Simpson development

Posted by TheTechnicalNoob 
BOB Simpson development
December 28, 2013 05:17AM
Hi people,

Just wanted to give you a heads up that Nicholas is fundraising the development of the BOB Simpson
Link to thread: [forums.reprap.org]
I trust in his capable and skilled hands that he will achieve what he sets out to do.

If you like this and want this goal to be achieved, help fund the project!
With many of us chipping in a small amount we can help Nicholas cover the costs of the development. You may not think it your contribution will amount to much, but with many chipping in small quantities, we'll get there.

To quote the thread (linked to above) for easy of reading:
nicholas.seward
I have been considering building the ultimate RepRap machine. The machine would use nothing but PLA for the whole robot with the exception of string, limit switches, steppers, controller board, and the hot end. I am dubbing the concept BOB Simpson (BOltless and Bearingless).

I have the basics all mapped out. (Lashed geared double lamina compliant joints, proportional gear drive joints, gear bearings for pulleys, etc.) There is still a lot of work to do. How do you make a solid stepper mount without bolts? How do we tension the string without any vitamins? I want to print everything in small sections (To avoid a heated bed) directly on existing surfaces so we can avoid the need for a none-PLA build platform.

Time is tight and this isn't high on my list right now so I thought I would give the bounty system a try. I set the goal pretty high at $5000. I asked myself how much money would I need to get it to be on the top of my list.

This is an experiment in how the bounty system will work for something like this. Let's find out.

BOUNTY LINK

For this to work, you need to pledge if you want this to happen AND you have to use your contacts to solicit more support. I would imagine that if only the people that see this post pledge then this won't work.
Re: BOB Simpson development
December 28, 2013 10:57PM
Thanks for posting this. Just to clarify a few thing.

I plan on taking on this project regardless of how the funding goes. The funding does have the potential to affect the timeline.

I also don't want to hog the fun. If anyone else wants to take this on or collaborate on the project then it is a simple mater to divide the bounty.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2013 11:32PM by nicholas.seward.
December 29, 2013 09:50PM
Sweet project. How can I calibrate on it? winking smiley. Why such a large bounty? Oh, you answered that one. I am a little worried that the bounty system will warp the free spirit of adventure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2013 10:49PM by dpharris.
January 09, 2014 04:44PM
I think people do what they do on a project for the love of the project, not for money. If enough money gets throw at a bounty, I could see that changing. But, if the criteria of the bounty are met and quality of work is good it shouldn't be an issue.. but who am I to say.

Well, I finally put my money where my mouth is cool smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login