Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Water-jet cut delta?

Posted by JesseS 
Water-jet cut delta?
December 14, 2013 01:05AM
I would like to build a delta reprap, fabricating as many of the components myself as possible. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction/engage in spirited debate about what designs and materials will work best for my goals. My goals:

1) I would like to build as much of the machine myself as possible. I will have access to a 5-axis water-jet, but not a 3d printer, so I would like to utilize it as much as I can.
2) I would like to utilize PVC Sheet as my primary build material, in 3/4" thick 48"x96" sheets if possible (it's what I will have commonly available)
3) I also work next to a metal recycling center, so I can get scrap aluminum sheet material, etc. for use in the build
4) I would like to keep the cost of purchased components as low as possible (I think that's the universal build goal smiling smiley )
Secondary Goals:
5) I would like to be able to print with spools of PVC. They come in at about $75 for 50lb spools, and I have them readily available. I saw this Improved Extruder on Kickstarter and it gave me the idea.
6) I would like to be able to cut the parts for at least two from a single 48"x96" sheet of PVC

I like most of the delta designs, but the one that really caught my eye in respect to using the heavier gauge filaments was The Quantum Delta because I thought in a larger size it might allow for multiple print heads and allow for larger filament in a way that the Bowden Extruder and moving print head used in a lot of deltas wouldn't.

Thank you for helping me out, my sons want to build a 3d printer, so I am hoping with everyone's help I can make it happen.
Re: Water-jet cut delta?
December 14, 2013 10:40AM
No debate needed. It sounds like you have the tools, material, and a plan. I forget the link but someone around here has made a delta frame from foam core PVC.

Obviously you will have to buy the electronics, rails, belt, pulleys, and rod ends. I think that everything else can be made out of PVC. You might have to drill some side hole after you water jet cut it.

I always thought that the Quantum Delta was a bit silly but I completely missed the ability to have a bunch of static hot ends. I wish you luck on this build. I can't wait to see what you come up with.
December 14, 2013 11:31AM
Let me preface by saying that I really don't fully understand some of the geometry involved in a delta yet, so I don't understand why some of the items (like ball end jointed rods) are used in them.

If I was to do a Quantum Delta style, are there alternatives to the rails that I could fabricate? Could the 3/4" PVC sheet be cut to form rails? What about sheet aluminum (or other metal) strips attached PVC sheet material?

What about the rods and rod ends, and the pulleys? For the pulleys, could I cut them on the 5-axis cutter and maybe use a washer on each side as a keeper to prevent the timing belt from slipping off? As for the rods and rod ends, the LISA Simpson looks like it uses solid plastic (albeit printed) arms. Could I use a system like that instead of the traditional rods and ends?

My other question on the Quantum Delta style is, how much of a factor is the weight of the build platform? What about the design would limit my build volume? What would limit my ability to print multiple filaments? Would I have to figure out how to have the build plate heated?

Lastly, are there any other designs, like the Wally, etc., that might lend themselves better to being built from water-jet cut parts?
December 14, 2013 12:39PM
The ball joints are needed because the arms don't stay in one plane.

Many people won't agree with me but I think you can fabricate your own rails. I would curve the sides of the PVC rail to match some wheels. You can cut the wheels by angling you jet. (Press fit some bearings into the wheel.

I left some striations so you can see how the jet would cut this out.

If you use a system like LISA you should probably stick with moving the hot end.

If cost is an issue, I would go with a string drive. I am sure you can water jet cut those pulleys. I am not sure if you could water jet cut timing pulleys.

The weight of the platform should be minimized. The heavier it gets the lower your top speed is. (I am not saying don't have a heavy platform. I am saying that a heavy platform will go slower.)

For the quantum the build area has less than 1/2 the diameter of the rail placement. It would be further reduced if you wanted multiple extruders. The need for a heated bed is up to you. They are only necessary for larger prints.

If you are willing to experiment with cut rails (again most people will disagree with me that that is an option) you might want to consider a Cartesian bot.

To get a build like this right you have to be prepared to do a lot of testing and iterating. 3D printing has a lot of gotchas in the first place.
December 14, 2013 01:05PM
December 14, 2013 01:27PM
Wow, thanks nicholas.steward! I'm just starting to look at what is possible with the water-jet. A friend of mine is getting it for a rather adventurous business venture, and I will likely be the one to help them set it up and show them how to draw for it, but I don't have much experience myself, and I definitely don't have any experience in 5-axis and it's capabilites. That concave roller is impressive! I was thinking of a "T" setup to increase rigidity, because I thin the 3/4" PVC would flex more than the alluminum rail. The Idea of matching the concave roller to a convex cut PVC sheet is great though.

ddseeker, I like the design of the BerryBot3D, especially the magnet joints, my youngest would love that, he has an obsession with strong magnets. His milled alluminum looks great too!

Is there a tutorial somewhere for how to design the laser cut pieces that fit together the way the BerryBot3D and the printrbot simple do?(I know I should google that) I think I can figure it out, but any help that could speed me allong would be greatly appreciated. I really only have experience in SketchUp, but I do have a Pro License for the slightly better exported files.
December 14, 2013 01:40PM
You need to do a lot of reading on the forums. Watch videos. I was interested in 3d Printing almost 3 years ago and have been researching. Then I saw the BerryBot early this year. I eventually decided on either a Kossel Mini or Cerberus Pup Delta. After ordering everything I'm at the point of adding my Magnetic arms and the configuration process. There is a lot of knowledge and understanding you need to acquire. All the reading and studying is nothing compared to when you are actually building. You come to problems and have to engineer your way out. Sometimes it moves VERY slowly. Obviously if you have help, or after 1-2 builds it will be second nature.

I just spent a week on the forums, trying to find out how to determine the arm lengths. But now I think I got that.

Good luck.

My recommendation would be to order a Delta Kit. Like the Kossel Clear by Blue Eagle Labs or the Kossel Pro. My original budget was in the $3-400 range. I've spent over $900. I think these ready to run kits are $600-800. And you'd save MONTHS ordering parts from china. The headache of fighting ebay sellers who try to send you one motor driver when you paid for 4. And in the end the savings was not that much. I really don't know how they can sell those Kossel kits so cheaply.

You can then after gaining experience custom build your own machine. You can even reuse the power, motors, and electronics.

Just a suggestion.

The Kossel Clear is a very nice machine. I saw it printing in person.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2013 01:43PM by disneytoy.
December 14, 2013 03:22PM
disneytoy, thank you for the encouragement. I had thought about doing just what you suggest, although I was thinking about going the printrbot simple to 3DR "Simple" route. I still may. I'm interested in building it from scratch, my father and I do a lot of mechanical engineering, although neither of us have any formal schooling in it, we've just done it for a long time. I'm actually about to start on an engineering degree at 32 years old so that I can give my sons a head start on it.

I'm also interested in working out how to work with the PVC sheets and filament because the friend that is buying the water jet is trying to find the limits of the media, he's already using it in ways that I've never seen before, and it's pretty exciting.

I will definitely take your advice, and continue reading and researching deltas and hotends, since that's where my weakness is right now. Hopefully I can come up with some preliminary sketches to post for everyone's critique. I hope that the development will go faster that way.
December 15, 2013 12:15AM
Another GREAT source for us Deltas:

[groups.google.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login