Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Own Design Printer 'Cherry Pi'

Posted by AndyCart 
Re: New Own Design Printer 'Cherry Pi'
March 10, 2014 08:19AM
For my Cherry Pi i have been using a granite chopping board from ebay here

The unpolished surface is the flattest. Using feeler gauges and a steel rule I guessed the flatness to be around 0.05mm. Cheap as chips too.
March 10, 2014 08:28PM
Hi Strelly

I started out with a granite chopping board too. The weight really helped keep things stable. I ditched it in favour of a heated bed later but may go back to it at some point.

Andy
March 11, 2014 06:23PM
Just a quick update to my stuttering printing.

I've commented out the full graphics smart controller from Marlin and i'm currently printing via USB with no problems whatsoever. I guess i'll head to the reprap discount forums for some advice.

Also i've got my GoPro back form a friend so here is some bonus time lapse footage of a very boring cylinder!
March 11, 2014 08:08PM
strelly
Just a quick update to my stuttering printing.

I've commented out the full graphics smart controller from Marlin and i'm currently printing via USB with no problems whatsoever. I guess i'll head to the reprap discount forums for some advice.

There is a thread here about adding support for the full graphics controller to Repetier firmware. They concluded that it was a CPU hog, and had to disable all animations and optimize their code to get acceptable performance. The thread also had a criticism of the way that Marlin handled the device at the time. Long story short, a Delta printer needs more CPU power than a Cartesian printer, and combining a GLCD with a Delta printer seems to be pushing the performance envelope for the 16 Mhz CPU.

With that said, my Megatronics 2.0 with the full GLCD and Repetier firmware doesn't exhibit a stuttering problem on my Delta printer, so it may be worth flashing Repetier onto your board to see if it performs any better.....
March 24, 2014 06:57PM
Hi guys. I've just finished some experimenting with my machine. Since loading Rich Cattell's marlin fork with auto calibration and auto bed levelling, which is great btw, I've noticed my print head hesitating ocassionally during a print. When this happens it normally leaves a blob of ooze behind. If I remove the smart graphics display the issue goes away and also if I don't send a G29 before I print. I was running a 1/32 micro steps. I have reset the driver jumpers to 1/16. The problem seems to have cured and there is no apparent difference when my machine runs. The extra load from display, bed levelling and 1/32 seems just too much for my Mega 2560 equipped Rumba board. Maybe something to look out for if anyone has weird issues.

Andy
March 24, 2014 08:44PM
Andy, do you have any links to the parts you got on Aliexpress? I'm looking for parts to make a printer and there's a lot of kit on the site, but wading through parts (especially steppers) is somewhat daunting

Thanks

Barny
March 25, 2014 03:36PM
Hi Barny

The electronics was a pack, [www.aliexpress.com]

The steppers were from [www.aliexpress.com]

Belt and pulleys from [www.aliexpress.com]

All good quality and all delivered within a week.

Regards

Andy
March 25, 2014 06:48PM
Andy, thanks very much for taking the time to link to those, it's very handy to have a recommendation and some clarity. I've placed an order

Barny
March 26, 2014 02:08AM
Super cool idea about the granite top - just ordered some borosilicate glass too! Hahaha...thumbs up
September 18, 2014 02:45PM
Could someone run through the settings for cura so I can get my cherry pi lll to print.What printer do I pick on the wizard etc.I have done it once already and the current print job will goto about 50% then the filament feeder starts going backwards then forwards and messes the print up.
ALso now anything I put into cura then transfer to sd makes the printer goto back right corner and motor keeps spinning so I have to power down printer to stop it.Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login