Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3DR "Simple" Delta Printer

Posted by JohnSL 
Re: 3DR "Simple" Delta Printer
February 04, 2014 01:54PM
I finished my modified 3DR-Simple.

I placed the electronics an power supply under the base and replaced the spectra fishing line with GT2 belts.
The printed LM8UU bearings are fantastic and make the printer very very quiet.

Here you have a video in action:
[youtu.be]

Thank you JohnSL for your work!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2014 02:03PM by Funkymonk.
February 04, 2014 08:59PM
funkymonk, that looks awesome!! I just ordered all of the rest of the parts for mine. Waiting on the controller, smooth rods t-slot nuts and linear bearings. I may print some bearings on my Makerfarm I3 out of PLA to try out.

What "thing" is your LCD box? I've been searching for a good one. What are the brackets you used to mount it?
February 05, 2014 05:51AM
The LCD is a clone of reprapdiscount one.
The brackets are designed by me.
February 05, 2014 08:15AM
No, I was referring to the box you printed for it. I have the same lcds for ask of my controllers. Are you using ramps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2014 08:15AM by umdpru.
February 05, 2014 09:47AM
This is the enclosure I used:[www.thingiverse.com]
February 05, 2014 10:20AM
RTurnock, I have a complete (I think) parts list on my blog: [trains.socha.com]. This list assumes you're starting with a Printrbot Simple, so whatever steppers that come with the Simple.
February 05, 2014 11:55AM
@JohnSL

Thanks for all the great documentation.
I got prices for all but the screws and nuts.
Estimate about $220 to convert my Simple to a 3DR following your process.
Buy 180 mm CF rods, and use GT2 belts, so extra costs compared to lowest cost estimate possible.
Benefits are the delta speed and quality, and the print volume is about 80mm radius instead of 100X100.

Trying to get the last kinks out of my new Mini Kossel, then I hope to start printing parts on them for future Delta printers.
February 05, 2014 01:13PM
Nice build, I am building a Delta Rostock myself at the moment, are you using a 175mm bed centre to rod configuration or is yours a smaller?

# 500
February 05, 2014 01:23PM
I used 200mm rods and have a print area of ~185mm of diameter.
February 08, 2014 09:52PM
John,

Your website is down. Is it temporary?

apru
February 08, 2014 10:51PM
Yes, I changed service providers, so it will take up to 48 hours to "appear" again across the world. In other words, it should be visible to everyone before the end of Monday.
February 08, 2014 11:20PM
awesome. I'm building mine now and I am referring your your's and Rich's site daily. I spent all day designing and printing parts to adapt a trid printing's J-head to your hot end holder. I need the J Head to stick out more than on Rich's holder design so I can mount a fan close to the J-head cooling vents. It helps with cooling for PLA printing.
February 09, 2014 12:29AM
Actually, I made a mistake when I transferred to a new provider and forgot to route my blogs correctly. I just fixed the problem, so you may be able to get to my blog again now. Sorry about that.
February 15, 2014 09:58AM
Here is a new (redesigned) end effector I made to mount a J-Head from TriDPrinting just in case you aren't starting from a simple, like I did. I suggest you buy a simple if you want to build this, it will be cheaper smiling smiley.

[www.thingiverse.com]
February 18, 2014 07:44PM
JohnSL,

I am attempting to follow your design and convert my Simple to a Delta.
I have started printing parts with my Mini Kossel that I just finished building - I have the bottom wings printed, effector and one or two other parts.
I have ordered the parts from Misumi.
Getting ready to do some more ordering however, I have a question.
After having the spectra line on the Simple and experience with the GT2 belts on the Mini Kossel, I am leaning toward using belts.
So that means I don't need the bearings I just ordered from Misumi ;-} right?

Thanks

EDIT: Well, I can use the bearings to make a spool holder.
What do I need to use belts? Well, someone said they designed a carriage to use with the belts....so I need to find that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2014 08:19PM by RTurnock.
February 19, 2014 05:41PM
@Funkymonk,

".....replaced the spectra fishing line with GT2 belts. The printed LM8UU bearings are fantastic and make the printer very very quiet."

Two questions....
1. what did you have to do to use GT2 belts? where can I find the STL for plastic parts to use GT2 belts?

2. What about motor vibration dampening? What about using Astrosyn vibration dampers?
When I added Astrosyn to my Mini Kossel the vibration went away.

I have ordered parts from Misumi and TriDprinting.
Ordered screws and nuts I could not find locally from McMaster Carr.
Need to print the rest of the parts.

Thank you
February 19, 2014 06:31PM
1. I redesigned the carriages and made some plastic pieces to transform the fishing line idlers into belt idlers. I aldo use an efector designed by me.

2. I dont have vibration problems.
February 21, 2014 01:13AM
It's alive (finally... please excuse the loose wiring, that'll get tidy'd up this weekend)!

Video: [instagram.com]
February 21, 2014 05:54PM
Funkymonk,,
"....I redesigned the carriages...."

Would you be willing to share your STL or SCAD file?
Is there anyone else who would be willing to share their carriage design for using GT2 belts with 3DR?
Thanks
February 21, 2014 07:02PM
I also use an arm-to-arm distance different from the original.

Attached you have my modified carriage and effector.

Hope you find them useful.
Attachments:
open | download - effector 3DR Funkymonk.stl (157.5 KB)
open | download - CARRIAGE 3DR Funkymonk.stl (88.4 KB)
February 21, 2014 11:52PM
Hello JohnSL,

I just stumbled on your topic. Very nice work!

Even though umdpru didn't need your SW files to be converted, please consider providing them in a universal and open CAD exchange format so people who use other CAD software can import your files and work on them.

STEP is a newer format than IGES, and is an ISO standard (ISO 10303). Most CAD software these days can open STEP files.

Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2014 11:52PM by NormandC.
February 22, 2014 03:43PM
Jerome,

I have remixed Funkymonk's 3DR Simple Spool Holder to include mounting holes and captured nuts. These are used to mount a Ramps mounting frame underneath the spool holder.

Here is the remixed spool holder:

[www.thingiverse.com]

Here is the Ramps 1.4 mounting frame.

[www.thingiverse.com]

Enjoy and as always, start with a Printrbot Simple, not from scratch as I did! grinning smiley

Norman, I agree. I have found that Solidworks will import STL files as solid geometry, similar to a STP or IGES file. I would still like to get a hold of the native files, though. I only have SW 2010 so I can't work with John's files.

John,

You can easily use Solidworks task scheduler found in the solidworks start folder. You can tell it to export your entire folder to a specific format. I typically use it to print a directory of drawings out to PDF or to convert to other file types for sharing across agencies at work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 11:50AM by umdpru.
February 22, 2014 03:49PM
Funky, I really like the hole for the end-stop screw. Adjustements for end-stops are a must in my opinion.

I'm curious, though, as to why you decided to go with belts? Have you experienced any specific issues with spectra line?
February 22, 2014 04:24PM
Yes, I built a Rostock abourt a year ago and tried using Spectra line. The problem was that the spools wheren't perfectly round, so I changed to GT2 belts. I tried again when I built the 3Dr simple. My printed spools had a roundness deviation of about 0.03mm and I wasn't comfortable not having everything perfectly tuned, so I decided to convert it to GT2-based. I think that If you can print perfectly round spools (or pay for aluminium ones at 7.50$ each+shipping), spectra line is a good option. Otherwise, I 'd choose reliable GT2 belts and pulleys.
February 22, 2014 05:14PM
Ok, thanks. I did buy the aluminum ones because I coudln't print perfectly round ones on my reprap'd MBI Cupcake CNC. I'm glad that you'd designed and shared these parts so that we can revert to belts if need be. I'll have to remix your effector, though, for a J-Head mount like I did John's.
February 22, 2014 08:31PM
JohnSL,

I'd like to second that request for .STEP files. I'd love to make some tweaks, but SolidWorks is a bit out of reach...
February 22, 2014 10:56PM
solidworks is within reach for anyone if you know where to look ;-). I am lucky in that I have a legitimate home use license through work. It wasn't always that way, though.
February 23, 2014 03:50PM
Can someone please point me in the direction of information pertaining to the motor wiring? Which motors are the "x" "y" and "x". I realize it probably doesn't matter as long as the end-stops are right. I can just change the orientation of the printer to suit the wiring. I was more or less trying to wire it according to the established front already, though.

Also, does anyone have a source for a 170mm round heated bed? I found a 160mm kapton based heater at [www.ultibots.com]. I bought it to try out. I can't believe that the lack of 5mm worth of heat bed at the edges will hurt. I'll be using an aluminum heat spreader between the heater and the glass anyways.

EDIT:

found it finally on Rich's blog

Before we dive into Firmware settings, do check your wiring, and make sure you have the X EndStop going to the X motor, Y EndStop going to Y and Z to Z. if you are unsure just be aware that you may need to check and swap them during the homing sequence. Especially if you see motors still running after it looks like they have hit the EndStop positions.

X = front left tower / Y = front right tower / Z = back middle tower

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 03:58PM by umdpru.
February 27, 2014 05:58PM
How is everyone mounting an LCD to their machine? I'm looking to mount mine to the top of mine since it's closest to the controller. I looked at Rich's github files and found an LCD adapter but I can't for the life of me figure out how he used it!
February 27, 2014 09:43PM
@ funkymonk

what size belt pulley did you use ( number of teeth ) ?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login