Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rostock Mini build and Rostock vs mini questions

Posted by stratmaster458 
Rostock Mini build and Rostock vs mini questions
February 02, 2013 04:00AM
So I'm building a Rostock mini RepRap. My main reason for choosing this RepRap is that I really like delta robots, the mini variant can fit on my desk, and it will be a lot easier to get going then my shelved Ultimaker parts.

My college has a hackerspace with a lot of RepRaps in it, over the last week I printed almost all the parts I need on a Lulzbot AO100. The school also has a laser cutter on which I cut out the acrylic parts of the frame. Now I am in the process of rounding out a BOM for the rest of the parts and deciding on an extruder. I would like to have a remote/bowden style extruder similar to the Ultimaker, I have seen quite a few online but I don't know which one to go with and print out. What do you folks recommend? I read awhile a go somewhere that there was a fork of Marlin being developed to handle the delta robot specific kinematics in real time what is the status on that? The reason I ask is that I'd like to build a RAMPS shield compatible with the DUE, the reason being that the DUE has the computational power necessary for the mathematics involved in computing the delta robot kinematics in real time.

Lately I have been looking at Rostock and Rostock mini builds and it seems to me that they use the same 3D parts save for different lengths of the arms. Do both variants use the same 3D printed components ? I'm asking this because down the road I may have more space to convert my mini over to a full size Rostock and gain a larger build area.
Re: Rostock Mini build and Rostock vs mini questions
February 02, 2013 07:55PM
We've been discussing the possibility of real-time firmware, and I'd love to know the answers to some of your questions. We have also been discussing RAMPS compatable with the Due as well! You are on the same page as several of us. So in no particular order we need:
1. Due compatable RAMPS
2. Real time firmware

As I said I'd love some details myself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2013 07:58PM by xclusive585.
February 05, 2013 12:21AM
Thanks for the update and the link to the other thread.

Now, does anyone know the difference between the 3D printed parts on the Rostock vs the Rostock Mini?
February 05, 2013 12:16PM
stratmaster458 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the update and the link to the other
> thread.
>
> Now, does anyone know the difference between the
> 3D printed parts on the Rostock vs the Rostock
> Mini?

I can't tell you the difference myself but:
Here's the files for the mini.
and Here's the wiki page.
You should be able to compare to the original parts.
February 11, 2013 03:09AM
I'm still having trouble deciding what is the best bowden extruder for the Rostock mini, and what clamp I should use. I need a setup that works for 1.75mm filament.
February 11, 2013 01:23PM
stratmaster458 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm still having trouble deciding what is the best
> bowden extruder for the Rostock mini, and what
> clamp I should use. I need a setup that works for
> 1.75mm filament.

SeeMeCNC Rostock Max uses a 1.75mm Bowden IIRC. Dunno if it would be acceptable for your mini but it fits your filament.
April 17, 2013 05:41PM
I am currently using a Bowden setup on my MendelMax. I chose this because eventually i plan on making this printer dualstrusion capable. For now i just have one extruder though. The main drive assembly is a MK7+ from FlashForge 3D printers. Although their extruders are barely capable of printing anything without babying the hotend, i had two of these I wasnt using. The drive assembly works really well with ~1.75mm filament, and is very compact. Initially i used the stock hotend modified as a bowden, but it failed miserably. So i invested in a JHead...two, but only one in use for now. The JHeads are great, and sport a 'standard' groovemount style mount. It was a dropin replacement to my old MakerGear hotend. Im still tweaking the slicer settings to work with Bowden style, but so far im very satisfied.

See linked pictures for example:
[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]
[www.flickr.com]

The tube is 4mm OD x 2mm ID PFA. PFA is a higher grade PTFE/Teflon material. I got lucky with a free sample from a local supply house. The fittings are el-cheapos from Amazon Industrial. 5mm threads with a washer and nute to trap it inside the printed parts.

I think this style extruder would work well on a Rostock or Delta style printer, because of its small form factor. Thought i would share. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login