Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Delta printer shifts print head in x and y

Posted by tanner331 
Delta printer shifts print head in x and y
May 26, 2017 12:16PM
Hi
I have a reprap rostock and I am having an issue with the print head skipping either in the x or y axis, usually parallel to the long side of a print.
I was wondering could cause this and how should I troubleshoot this problem?
This only occurs on prints with large bases.
I have attached pictures of what the failed prints look like.
Thanks
Tanner
Attachments:
open | download - IMG_0633.JPG (106 KB)
open | download - IMG_0628.JPG (127.4 KB)
open | download - IMG_0629.JPG (107 KB)
Re: Delta printer shifts print head in x and y
May 26, 2017 05:10PM
Is the printer properly leveled? In other words, when you print the bottom layer, is the filament squashed the same over whole plane?

Because it looks like you get some steps skipped because the head grinds into the bed. Which happens when printer is not properly calibrated.
May 26, 2017 11:02PM
The bed is leveled about as perfectly as it can get.
Upon further inspection what I think is happening is that the first layer is too thick causing the second layer to run into the previous layer.
On small prints the previous layer is hot still enough to be fluid enough to not cause issues, but on larger print the first layer completely sets causing the steppers to skip.
May 27, 2017 02:00PM
That is easy to check. Increase Z-height a bit and you will see.
May 28, 2017 02:17AM
I increased the layer height from 0.2 to 0.4 and the print worked.
I am going to try to tune the first layer so I can use the lower layer height but the printer works.
May 29, 2017 07:37AM
I did not mean layer height but the Z-height (Z-max-length) of the printer. E.g. clasical rostock has it about 360 mm. So it would be increased to e.g. 360.1 mm to give 0.1 mm more space for the bottom layer.
Increasing layer height has similar consequence but it is increased over the hole print.

Slicers allow setting over-extrusion for the bottom layer. Maybe you have it set too much? If so, try to set it back to 100% (no over-extrusion).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login