Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why is V-slot so much more expensive than T-slot

Posted by Antscran 
Why is V-slot so much more expensive than T-slot
February 01, 2017 11:14PM
Hi all,

I have recently purchased some 2020 T-slot profiles which are well made with a good finish and was just looking at V-slot prices for comparison.

The V-slot is 2-3 times the price, yeah it has a V profile but trying to understand why there is such a price difference?

[www.coder-tronics.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
Re: Why is V-slot so much more expensive than T-slot
February 02, 2017 02:37PM
I would assume volume at this point. T-slot is more widely used than V-slot, and V-slot seems to be relatively new.
February 04, 2017 07:10AM
Yep could be, would be interested to understand why. It is a unique product so guess they can charge what they like, I am just curious.

From what I can see the raw material and process is the same no matter if it's T-slot or V-slot, you just swap the die shape out to form the different profile.

I posted a reply to RatRig's advert HERE on the forum as they seem to be the only producer in the EU, see if they can shed some light on the question.

[www.coder-tronics.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
April 27, 2017 06:44AM
What prices are you discussing. How can someone recommend a source if they don't know what expensive means to you?
April 27, 2017 09:35AM
Hi cwaa,

My second post actually links to some prices I compared, however I am happy to provide a link to some 2020 T-slot for reference.

http://www.motedis.com/shop/Slot-profiles/Profile-20-I-Type-slot-5/Aluminium-Profile-20x20-I-Typ-slot-5::1076.html

[www.coder-tronics.com]
[www.thingiverse.com]
April 27, 2017 01:03PM
I purchase from Open Builds and I can get a 250 mm 20X20 v-slot for $3.00 plus shipping. A 1000mm 20X20 for $10.00. That seems reasonable to me.
I used to work in an extrusion operation. Die changes are very costly and create downtime on very expensive equipment. So longer runs are better and less costly per/foot. So volume will have a lot to do with price.
When I built my printer I was pleasantly surprised at the cost of the extrusions. I used mostly 20X80 v-slot. What set me back was the cost of the double ball bearing rubber wheels, and I needed 16 at about $5.00 each.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login