Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My advice on buying Open Builds Vslot in UK

Posted by deckingman 
My advice on buying Open Builds Vslot in UK
June 09, 2016 05:55PM
I've only been able to find 2 suppliers of Open Builds V slot in the UK. Ooznest and RoboCutters. I've ordered a few bits and pieces and both offer excellent service. However.....

I was about to order a pile of stuff so shopped around on the interweb thingy and found RatRig in Portugal. They claim their very own extrusion made in Portugal to the exact Open Builds spec and dimensions . Comparing prices, their stuff sells for Euros what we pay in pounds. e.g. a one metre length of 20 x 40 Vslot from the UK suppliers is about £11.00 and from RatRig it's 11 Euros. Even with the crap exchange rate of about 1.25 at the moment, it's still big saving. When you start looking at cut to size service, the difference is much greater. E.g 6 off 540mm 20 x 40 V slot was £115 in the UK, 66 Euro from RatRig in Portugal (£52.80). So I've just ordered a pile of stuff, 2 lengths about a metre long and 21 lengths just over half a metre long. Delivery was 25 Euros (about £20) which is less than "local" UK delivery. Oh, and I was going to tap the ends myself but RatRig tap the 20X40 (2 holes in each end) for 50cents and the 20 x 20 (one hole in each end) for 25 cents. 64 tapped holes for less than 6 quid - that'll do me.

I'll let you know what the quality is like but if it is made to the exact Open Builds spec and dimensions, it should be fine.

BTW, I'm not affiliated to RatRig in any way. They have no idea that I'm writing this. Also, I have no complaints about Ooznest or Robocutters. I'm just passing on what seems to me to be a money saving tip. There may well be other suppliers - I just haven't been able to find any. Hope this may be of help to somebody.
Re: My advice on buying Open Builds Vslot in UK
June 09, 2016 08:42PM
Good to know, cheers.
June 10, 2016 03:08PM
Another little tip. If you are planning to fix this stuff together by tapping the ends and using bolts in the slots, Screwfix sell M5x16mm socket button head A2 stainless bolts for £2.59 for a pack of 50. M5 A2 stainless washers are 99p for a pack of 100. They also do a limited section of Cap head screws. e.g. M5 x 20 A2 cap head @£3.77 for a pack of 50.
June 22, 2016 06:01PM
I built my printer last summer using a combo kit from Ratrig. Great service, great price. Cost around 1/3 of equivalent parts sourced in the UK.
11 months of abuse and still going strong.

Would also recommend Ratrig.
June 23, 2016 04:22PM
Good to know. How long did it take to get delivery? I have to say I'm a bit concerned and have just sent them an email. Ordered on the 9th, it's now 23rd and when I log in, the order status still says "processing".
June 29, 2016 05:37AM
I may have to amend this recommendation. The stuff was ordered on 9th. I emailed RatRig on 23rd and had an email back to say that the order had been shipped. It is now 29th and still no sign of it. With the sudden drop in Sterling following the Brexit vote, the prices are no longer all that attractive either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2016 05:37AM by deckingman.
June 29, 2016 06:10PM
It took a couple of weeks to ship, as I asked for a custom package and it was peek summer holidays. But once shipped it took about 4 days to come to me here in the UK.
June 30, 2016 04:29PM
you could try RS components ive just bought some t-slot from there enough for 10 x 500mm lengths @ a cost of less than £45.
July 01, 2016 01:28PM
wampablo
you could try RS components ive just bought some t-slot from there enough for 10 x 500mm lengths @ a cost of less than £45.

Cheers. Can you post a link? I tried searching RS's web site for Open Builds V slot but got nowhere. I then searched for "aluminium extrusion" and went through 9 pages and 171 products but couldn't see any Open Builds spec V slot. Do you have RS part numbers for Open Builds V slot?
July 02, 2016 07:17AM
is it v-slot your after or will t-slot do the job ? I'm building a taz replica which is why I used t-slot
July 02, 2016 08:08AM
Probably this

[uk.rs-online.com]

But it's not v-slot

Had your delivery not turned up yet?
July 02, 2016 09:25AM
actually its this

[uk.rs-online.com]
July 02, 2016 12:11PM
wampablo
actually its this

[uk.rs-online.com]

That ain't v-slot.
July 02, 2016 12:15PM
Phytone
Probably this

[uk.rs-online.com]

But it's not v-slot

Had your delivery not turned up yet?

It's now 2nd July. Sent them another email - they say it was shipped on 23rd June but can't tell me more. I'll give it another week then ask for refund and start again with another supplier. Not a happy bunny right now.thumbs down
July 05, 2016 05:39PM
I've been making a lot of orders with ooznest recently, and I can only sing their praises. Had some problems with the anti backlash nuts and the guy personally tested the replacements for me and sent them out ASAP.

Their delivery is a little pricey, but most small orders fit into the cheap Royal mail first class category.
July 06, 2016 02:40PM
Yes, I've been happy with Ooznest and also RoboCutters who I've found can be a little cheaper. Anyway, a parcel arrived today which looks like it's the extrusion I ordered from RatRig. 3 days short of a calendar month. I haven't opened it yet.
July 07, 2016 01:52PM
Just a quick update to say that the cut lengths of extrusion I ordered from RatRig all arrived intact and well packaged. So I was impressed with the price (but since the GBP has lost so much against the Euro this may no longer be a good deal), and all the items were cut to the correct lengths exactly as requested, and were well packed so undamaged. I was not impressed with the delivery time.
July 12, 2016 01:41PM
Hi, I run the website ooznest.co.uk, thanks for all the kind words i have read in this thread. I was the guy that tested the nut blocks for you origamib winking smiley

I just wanted to correct the pricing in the original post. I think what has happened is that you entered it slightly wrong into our cutting service, multiplying it to 36 cuts instead of 6, which is why it came out to around £115, the correct price for the above is £79.20 Inc vat. Slightly more the RatRig, but ours comes from Openbuilds. Shipping is usually £8.39 for anything 1000mm or under, and most times we dispatch same day.
July 12, 2016 01:41PM
Sorry double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2016 01:42PM by RyanL.
July 12, 2016 03:53PM
RyanL
Hi, I run the website ooznest.co.uk, thanks for all the kind words i have read in this thread. I was the guy that tested the nut blocks for you origamib winking smiley

I just wanted to correct the pricing in the original post. I think what has happened is that you entered it slightly wrong into our cutting service, multiplying it to 36 cuts instead of 6, which is why it came out to around £115, the correct price for the above is £79.20 Inc vat. Slightly more the RatRig, but ours comes from Openbuilds. Shipping is usually £8.39 for anything 1000mm or under, and most times we dispatch same day.

Hi. Thanks for the clarification. I'm glad there are no hard feelings. The only reason for using RatRig was due to exchange rates which you have no control over. I have bought quite a bit if stuff from you - gantry plates, wheel kits, idler bearings, spacers and shims etc. Mostly via Ebay as it's just easier to click "Buy it Now" and pay using my PayPal account which is linked to my Ebay ID. The service I have received from Ooznest has always been exemplary.

The value of the pound post Brexit must be good news for you as RatRigs' prices are no longer the deal that they were, (and their delivery times are just awful).
July 13, 2016 04:12AM
Nope no hard feelings, i just thought i better point it out to anyone who may read this thread, so we don't sound ridiculously overpriced.
July 13, 2016 10:37AM
For info, I placed an order with ooznest this morning for two, cut to size lengths of 2020vslot. Had an email a few hours later to say that order has been dispatched. That's what I call service!
July 13, 2016 02:05PM
I remember that order today, didn't realize it was you smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login