Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Any recommendations on using a RAMBo on the Wilson TS?

Posted by dantman 
Any recommendations on using a RAMBo on the Wilson TS?
December 27, 2014 07:12AM
Has anyone designed a printed frame mount for the Wilson TS that would hold a RAMBo?

I'm considering assembling my first 3d printer sometime in the future.

Originally I considered getting a Prusa i3 kit, because I was worried that trying to source all the parts individually and not using a pre-tested kit model I might end up getting myself the wrong parts and spend a lot of time trying to figure out what is wrong.

However after watching entirely through assembly videos for both the Prusa i3 and the Wilson TS I saw so many improvements in the Wilson and potential annoyances in the Prusa i3 that I'm very heavily leaning towards the idea of building a Wilson TS myself.

But my one concern is that I've heard of issues with the polyfuses on the RAMPS boards and am considering instead using a RAMBo from RepRapElectric which uses real fuses (or maybe just opting for a smoothieboard).

However the Wilson TS uses a printed frame mount designed for the RAMPS. And I don't have a local 3d printer to allow me to iteratively design one myself.

So I'll have to sort this out beforehand, with a printed mount that was already tested by someone else and is printed for me by a 3rd party.
Re: Any recommendations on using a RAMBo on the Wilson TS?
February 05, 2015 11:11PM
If you buy the Wilson TS plastic parts directly from the developer Marty (ebay user mjrice) you could probably just send him a message beforehand telling him what you are looking to do and he would probably print one up for you.
May 07, 2015 07:02PM
you can hook up the rambo and use it to print your own mount. i mean, the rambo doesn't *need* to be mounted. just put a fan on it.
May 08, 2015 01:31AM
dantman
...I've heard of issues with the polyfuses on the RAMPS boards and am considering instead using a RAMBo from RepRapElectric...

Unfortunately rumors run RAMPant about the RAMPS. eye rolling smiley

There is a good reason why there are thousands of Prusa i3's and other 3D printers running on an Arduino + RAMPS stack: it works fine if correctly assembled and actively cooled with a small fan.

The Wilson TS kit is shipped with a RAMPS and I suggest you test assembling and using it as is, and only then, if you are not satisfied with the performance of the Arduino + RAMPS stack (I doubt it), print your own mount for whatever other electronics you want to install instead.

Honestly, the polyfuses should be the least of your worries at this stage, before you have even ordered your yet to be built 3D printer.

Edit: please note that the correct forum to post questions about the RAMPS is... the RAMPS forum below. And the correct forum to post questions about the Wilson TS is in the "Prusa i3 and variants" forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2015 01:33AM by AndrewBCN.
May 09, 2015 12:10AM
It's a bit late to reply now. I've already assembled a portion of the frame. And the RAMBo I ordered just arrived in the mail today.

milkypostman
you can hook up the rambo and use it to print your own mount. i mean, the rambo doesn't *need* to be mounted. just put a fan on it.
Yeah. I'll end up doing this.

AndrewBCN
The Wilson TS kit is shipped with a RAMPS and I suggest you test assembling and using it as is, and only then, if you are not satisfied with the performance of the Arduino + RAMPS stack (I doubt it), print your own mount for whatever other electronics you want to install instead.
Kit, what kit? When I posted this the Wilson TS was still marked as under development and I couldn't find any kits. And going a google search again, I still don't see any Wilson TS kits.

I decided to source all the parts for my printer myself.

AndrewBCN
Edit: please note that the correct forum to post questions about the RAMPS is... the RAMPS forum below. And the correct forum to post questions about the Wilson TS is in the "Prusa i3 and variants" forum.
Ok. When I asked all the Wilson topics I found were in this forum. And the other forum's description was fairly vague about how far "and variants" went.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2015 12:19AM by dantman.
May 09, 2015 10:09AM
The creator of the Wilson sells kits. I don't know how but I found out info about it somewhere. You can search eBay for his sales and contact him directly about it. Originally I was going to source the parts myself then learned about the kit.

Guess it's too late for you now so sorry about that. The major thing he does in his kit is provide high torque motors from automation technologies and provide an e3d v6 lite hotend.
May 09, 2015 03:39PM
milkypostman
The creator of the Wilson sells kits. I don't know how but I found out info about it somewhere. You can search eBay for his sales and contact him directly about it. Originally I was going to source the parts myself then learned about the kit.

I never managed to find his eBay store even when I searched for it.

milkypostman
Guess it's too late for you now so sorry about that. The major thing he does in his kit is provide high torque motors from automation technologies and provide an e3d v6 lite hotend.
The stepper motors I found say 52N.cm so I'm probably fine.

I'm probably better off sourcing parts myself anyways. I got to pick and choose what options I wanted for my printer. Large 24v power supply, RAMBo, real E3D-v6, aluminum heated bed with heater mat. And I found some nice local places for quality smooth rods and MDF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login